Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When will the next acceptance decisions be made??

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone knows how long it takes for MU-COM to process my LORs? I've sent my letters through Interfolio last week but it hasn't been updated on the supplementary application website.
I am wondering if the letters were received or not.

Hey guys! Just received a complete email yesterday. How long usually before a decision is made whether i'l be on hold or offered an II?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey folks, the answers to all of these questions can be found in this thread. You'll easily be able to find them with a quick search.

When will the next acceptance decisions be made??

Anyone knows how long it takes for MU-COM to process my LORs? I've sent my letters through Interfolio last week but it hasn't been updated on the supplementary application website.

Hey guys! Just received a complete email yesterday. How long usually before a decision is made whether i'l be on hold or offered an II?

Reactions: 1 user
I sent my LOR on 10/10, submitted my secondaries on 10/14, MUCOM downloaded them to my file on 10/16 (I think they only download once a week or something but they notified me via email they did that) and I was complete with letters today 10/22. Now waiting time

They are fairly prompt, expect an decision in 2-3 weeks. Sit patient, and know that MU-COM is one of those schools who's admissions process if standardized and organized. They aren't like other schools who leave you in the dark for months on end!

Sending good vibes to everyone else who interviewed on 10/18!

Reactions: 1 users
They are fairly prompt, expect an decision in 2-3 weeks. Sit patient, and know that MU-COM is one of those schools who's admissions process if standardized and organized. They aren't like other schools who leave you in the dark for months on end!

Sending good vibes to everyone else who interviewed on 10/18!

Thank you for the reply! That was exactly what I was wondering...I still haven't heard back from some schools from the last cycle! If you're going to reject me, just go ahead and do it. Looking forward to hearing from MUCOM. Good luck to all of those that have interviews coming up!

The attachment sent with your supplemental invitation answers this question.

Admissions

Attachments

• LOR Guidelines 2014_2015.pdf
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 42

This topic, too, is covered in your complete email. It takes about 3 weeks for an interview decision, although some screeners work faster.

Admissions

Does MU-COM post decisions on Thursdays or Fridays?

The committee meets on most Thursdays. All decisions are released by the following Monday.

Admissions

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! :D

10/11 interview as well

Reactions: 3 users
Does MU-COM offer students any academic scholarships?

Could anyone speak to roughly how Catholicism affects the culture and education at MUCOM? Will religious teachings impact the way we are taught OBGYN? Would this be a positive, neutral, or hostile environment for LGBTQ people?

Could anyone speak to roughly how Catholicism affects the culture and education at MUCOM? Will religious teachings impact the way we are taught OBGYN? Would this be a positive, neutral, or hostile environment for LGBTQ people?
At my interview, they brought this up. They said that they are not a catholic medical school, they are just a medical school on a catholic campus. There is no integration of religion in the curriculum, or imposed on students! Tolerance for all!

II! Scheduled for 11/15. I was wondering, as far as the passport type photo, it says there that we have to upload one after scheduling the interview. I don't have one on hand and can't get one until weekend. How long do I have to submit the image? Worried that my interview might get cancelled!

Last edited:
I'm a 1st year at MUCOM so I can't tell you how it impacts OB since we haven't been through that - I've heard rumors it will impact our education in rotations (if we are at Catholic affiliated hospital networks like St. Vincent) but those are just speculation so far since no one really knows that answer yet.
What I can tell you is that the school is a very safe/positive environment for LGBTQ and really anyone regardless of beliefs, cultural background, etc. The staff and faculty include multiple LGBTQ members as well as some very strong advocates and the first and second year classes do as well so you have no shortage of people in your corner. The only place you may ever encounter opposition or ignorance would be from a small minority of fellow classmates with some intolerant religious beliefs but that would be true at any school, so MUCOM is no exception. I have no doubt the school would handle issues swiftly and properly should anyone give you trouble.
As for the Catholicism culture - as an applicant I was also told that MUCOM was a med school on a Catholic campus, not a Catholic med school. Unfortunately, I will tell you this is not an entirely accurate description. Although Catholicism is not directly taught in our curriculum (so far), the Catholic message gets pushed a lot in the form of a "Spirituality" course they want the whole school to sign up for, weekly emails from the nuns about Mass and other church events around campus, as well as including some of the heavily Catholic figures as guest panelists in classes like Intro to Clinical Med during ethical discussions (which is when you'll figure out which of your classmates are intolerant). Oh, and they also sneak in an occasional prayer - such as at your White Coat Ceremony.
All this being said, I don't think the Catholic thing is an issue as far as my education goes (so far) or my general feeling of our campus being an open and accepting place. I just want incoming students to be aware you will not get a chance to really forget you are on a Catholic campus, if that is what you were lead to believe (although the giant sanctuary as you entered the building should have made that clear). If you have any other specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Anyone? How long do I have after I schedule the interview to submit the photo? Thanks!

II! Scheduled for 11/15. I was wondering, as far as the passport type photo, it says there that we have to upload one after scheduling the interview. I don't have one on hand and can't get one until weekend. How long do I have to submit the image? Worried that my interview might get cancelled!
I uploaded mine a few days before the interview. You'll be fine.

Anyone? How long do I have after I schedule the interview to submit the photo? Thanks!
you'll be fine, just try to get it up the week prior to your interview.

How late do interviews go into December 2014?

I just noticed my letters have been updated on the MU-COM website, with the exception of my advisor letter. There is no premed advisor at my school. Should I notify the admissions about this? I am wondering because only the science and physician letters are marked as complete, and I've sent in all 3 letters together through Interfolio.

I just noticed my letters have been updated on the MU-COM website, with the exception of my advisor letter. There is no premed advisor at my school. Should I notify the admissions about this? I am wondering because only the science and physician letters are marked as complete, and I've sent in all 3 letters together through Interfolio.
Generally schools want an extra science letter in lieu of the premed advisor. Check their specific requirments on letters though, i don't recall (I submitted 2 science lors , 1 non-science and a DO lor)

Generally schools want an extra science letter in lieu of the premed advisor. Check their specific requirments on letters though, i don't recall (I submitted 2 science lors , 1 non-science and a DO lor)
So would that be 2 sci prof letters + 1 physician letter in total? I believe I did submit 2 sci prof letters. Probably will wait till the end of week before emailing about it.

So would that be 2 sci prof letters + 1 physician letter in total? I believe I did submit 2 sci prof letters. Probably will wait till the end of week before emailing about it.

Yes, that sounds right. Just be patient since it takes them time.

"Letters uploaded once a week. Once uploaded, letters are reviewed by a staff member for completeness. This process can take 2-3 weeks, depending on the volume of letters that need to be reviewed."

Thank you! I just uploaded my photo. Under the photos tab, it would just be under "current photo" right? You don't get a confirmation or anything saying that you uploaded a photo?

I uploaded mine a few days before the interview. You'll be fine.

you'll be fine, just try to get it up the week prior to your interview.

Last edited:
Thank you! I just uploaded my photo. Under the photos tab, it would just be under "current photo" right? You don't get a confirmation or anything saying that you uploaded a photo?
Right. Your smiling face is your confirmation.

What is the turn around time from interview to admission decision?
It depends on your interview date and if the committee has enough time to go over your files that session.

MU-COM is really good at keeping you in the loop and will tell you if you're file didn't make it to committee and that it will be decided upon the next time etc.

Oops, I should have clarified. I know they go until April, but what is the latest scheduled date for December?

The dates are in our portal if you've been invited to interview.

Admissions

It is possible that one of the letters were not accepted. Contact admissions at 317.955.6297.

MU-COM

What is the turn around time from interview to admission decision?

This is covered at the interview. It could be anywhere from 1-3 weeks depending on how much we have been interviewing.

Admissions

Hopefully tomorrow will be the day 10/18 interviewee's have their fates sealed! Sending positive vibes to everyone, and hope we all hear good news over the next few days :)

Accepted! Can't believe it! I'm on cloud nine!

Wahhh I interviewed 10/18 too and they emailed me saying the committee didn't get to my application yet, so I'll be looked at next week. :-/
Don't feel bad friend. I interviewed on 10/17 and I am in the same boat. Our time will come!

Wahhh I interviewed 10/18 too and they emailed me saying the committee didn't get to my application yet, so I'll be looked at next week. :-/

I interviewed on 10/10 and did not find out my decision until today, so hang tight, at least that is still a quick turn around.

As a current OMS1 at MU-COM I would like to specifically address the Catholic aspect of the university and how it impacts the medical school itself. Currently on the website, the mission statement of the COM states:

"The Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine is a Catholic medical institution built on the inspired vision and values of our Franciscan heritage, and dedicated to preparing osteopathic physicians who are committed to the complete healing of individuals’ bodies, minds, and spirits. This institution is committed to serving the people of Indiana and to developing osteopathic physicians through research, service, and teaching."
http://www.marian.edu/osteopathic-medical-school/about/mission

The addition of these 5 very important words seems to have occurred in the time between when I was accepted to the COM and when I looked at it recently after we were given a 90 minute lecture specifically on Catholic medical ethics that was a part of our curriculum for the Introduction to Clinical Medicine course, was required for us to attend and we have confirmed with the course directors is testable material. There are other options for us to learn about non-Christian and non-Catholic Christian medical ethics but these are not a part of the curriculum, attendance is not required and we will not be tested on the material.

When I applied and was ultimately accepted at MU-COM, it was emphasized by faculty and admissions staff that Marian is a Catholic university with a medical school built on the Franciscan heritage, NOT a Catholic medical school. It is unclear right now when or how this change came about but there is quite a lot of dissent within the first year class after this lecture about whether or not we currently attend a Catholic medical school even though we were assured that it was not a Catholic medical school. I would not have enrolled at MU-COM if I knew this was a Catholic medical school. My personal religious affiliation is irrelevant because Catholic or not, I want to be able to learn all aspects of the medical profession and how to become a competent physician without restrictions imposed by Catholic doctrine. Examples of some topics covered in the recent Clinical Medicine lecture included:

The Church's view on pregnancy resulting from sexual assault.
The Church's view on assisted reproduction (IVF).
The Church's view on contraception.
The Church's view on euthanasia.
The Church's view on abortion.
The Church's view on organ transplantation.
The Church's view on the procreative nature of sexual intercourse.

While I believe there is strength in being familiar with ethics as they relate to religious beliefs, the material was not presented in a way that would be useful to us as physicians; rather, it was essentially a listing of the Church's belief on XYZ and that these are not permissible treatment options (according to the Church for patients who are Catholic).

Needless to say, the current first year class has started to look into the issue of whether or not we are attending a Catholic medical school. I am not yet sure how this would impact our rotations but two of our biggest local affiliations are St. Vincent's and St. Francis. In theory, that fact alone could impact what we would learn or experience during a rotation, especially during an OBGYN rotation.

I am happy to answer any further questions you have related to this issue and will keep you updated on any new information that we hear from inside of the COM.

Also I hate that I'm just going to answer your question with regards to homosexuality/LGBTQ acceptance here at the COM so briefly but THANKFULLY I can very simply say that yes, you are MORE THAN WELCOME at this institution. Our student body has some stand alone issues but I am proud and happy to report that I have not heard of any discrimination against our LGBTQ students or faculty. Equal rights and love for all! <3

You know, porpoisedance, I researched MU-COM online, and I was blown away by the information that they presented, but I was under the impression that Catholicism was an option to pursue, not a mandate to learn and be tested on, and honestly that makes me uneasy. I am fine with learning about religion for the sake of enlightenment if it my option to do so, but I wouldn't want any religion, including my own, to influence my medical perspective.

You know, porpoisedance, I researched MU-COM online, and I was blown away by the information that they presented, but I was under the impression that Catholicism was an option to pursue, not a mandate to learn and be tested on, and honestly that makes me uneasy. I am fine with learning about religion for the sake of enlightenment if it my option to do so, but I wouldn't want any religion, including my own, to influence my medical perspective.
Absolutely and I do want to learn about how to deal with religious preferences as they relate to my patients, especially how to respond to patients who make decisions based on their religious beliefs that I may not agree with. Cultural sensitivity is very important and that medical ethics is integrated into the curriculum is an excellent strength for MU-COM. However, the fact that Catholic perspective is the only one that has been included in our curriculum, required mandatory attendance and will be tested on in our Clinical Medicine course is definitely a problem for students at this school.

Of course I am biased because I consider myself to hold my Christian (Protestant... not Catholic) faith as a very important aspect to my life... so I most certainly would want this to affect how I treat my patients and the things that I would do in order to develop my personal skillset. If a patient wants a procedure or treatment that I believe to be detrimental to the patient's physical or spiritual health, then I would recommend them to see another physician. Please note that I also would consider this for physical aspects as well.

I went to a Catholic college (for football primarily, not because of its Catholic identity), but had a wonderful time developing my own faith on my own but also through the help of required religion courses (liberal arts school). Again, I'm sure I'm biased, but I hope that my past experience with a Catholic education can give me an upper hand here.

Baxt1412 I of course want to develop religious knowledge as far as treatment acceptability, but I'd be more appreciative if it were elective.