Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, I was referring to this cycle. The reason I am asking is, MUCOM stated both at my interview and in the email I received that they revisit the alternate list at least once a month. I take that to mean they could offer anyone from the alternate list admission at any time throughout the process, not just near the end.
Interesting, well hopefully that means that they do it every month throughout the cycle and not after. Good luck to you and hopefully you get in.

Members don't see this ad.

If there are any current OMS1/2 at Marian who could give me some insight about campus life, life in Indianapolis, neighborhoods around the city, places to go/things to do, and the student community, I would really love a PM. Marian is really competing as one of my top choices and as an OOS student I would like to know more about it and the surrounding Indy area :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I just got an email today. It said that during the academic screening process, my mcat was viewed as not competitive enough for an interview invite (mcat: 26) and that they are deffering a decision on a campus interview until they receive my new mcat score. Sadly on my retake I got a 25 and I sent it to them in late october. Since my intial mcat wasnt strong enough and my second time was a point lower, should I just assume that I wont get an II? Any info would help. Thanks!

Hey guys I just got an email today. It said that during the academic screening process, my mcat was viewed as not competitive enough for an interview invite (mcat: 26) and that they are deffering a decision on a campus interview until they receive my new mcat score. Sadly on my retake I got a 25 and I sent it to them in late october. Since my intial mcat wasnt strong enough and my second time was a point lower, should I just assume that I wont get an II? Any info would help. Thanks!

I'm in the opposite position, GPA didn't make the cutoff and asked to send in transcripts for updated grades but I haven't/won't be taking anymore classes. I'm wondering if I should just scratch them off my list. Little irked that it seems my secondary essays weren't considered at all and that my $100 would have be better spent elsewhere.

Yea I agree. I thought my MCAT (9/8/9) was decent enough to at least get considered. On their website I found this "A competitive MCAT score usually begins at 24." I'm confused now...

You would hope/think this is what would determine whether or not you receive a secondary or not. I'm assuming other med schools do this same sort of thing just not as upfront about it as Marian.

put on pre-interview hold today. crossing fingers still!

Yea I agree. I thought my MCAT (9/8/9) was decent enough to at least get considered. On their website I found this "A competitive MCAT score usually begins at 24." I'm confused now...

what is your cGPA and sGPA to go along with it? some schools are willing to look past what they consider to be a not so perfect GPA or MCAT, but not usually both (for the record, i applied with a 24, so it's in my interest to figure this out too...)

definitely wouldn't hurt to call and ask specifically about your app, so that means longer than a 30 second call about them saying "we get a lot of applicants, etc"

what is your cGPA and sGPA to go along with it? some schools are willing to look past what they consider to be a not so perfect GPA or MCAT, but not usually both (for the record, i applied with a 24, so it's in my interest to figure this out too...)

definitely wouldn't hurt to call and ask specifically about your app, so that means longer than a 30 second call about them saying "we get a lot of applicants, etc"
I think I'm going to call as well just to see if there's any hope. Can't hate the player but I hate the game.

I got wait listed with a 24, but I applied on day 1. It's later in the cycle so they probably are considering higher MCAT scores (competitive applicants who applied late) over others. That would be the only thing that makes sense to me.

I spent a lot of time on hold last cycle. I was enrolled in classes during the fall and received the email stating "MCAT is competitive but GPA isn't...hold for pending grades." After the semester ended I submitted my transcripts and planned to retake the MCAT; I got an email stating "GPA is competitive but MCAT isn't... hold for pending MCAT." All my stats are borderline or average; I believe the emails are largely automatic when elements of your application are awaiting updates.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are plenty of people in our class right now who got a 25 or 26 on the MCAT, so that alone is not enough to eliminate you from consideration. I will say, though, your odds get much worse if you don't compensate for a low MCAT with a high GPA or strong letters/ECs/etc. Not to say those things can't all be overcome, but it's definitely harder to do as the cycle becomes more competitive.

I have a 3.42 cgpa and a 3.3 sgpa and my ECs are definitely unique. I thought this was enough to get me at least looked at :(

I have a 3.35cGPA and a 3.3sGPA. I was placed on hold for 3 weeks and then offered an interview. I have an exceptionally strong research background, extensive experience in community service (600 hours clinical/400 non-clinical), leadership positions, and 29 MCAT. I was extremely surprised that I was offered an interview, but I am very grateful because this school is one of my top choices. I think it's safe to say that they do consider factors outside of GPA/MCAT when making interview decisions. I'm sorry that some of you feel that the strongest parts of your applications were ignored, but remain confident! I'm certain you will receive recognition for all of your hard work. Good luck!

Decided to throw in a late app here just now after doing some research and really liking what Marian is doing. 3.6/27, am I too late?

Last edited:
Its never too late unless its past the deadline... U never know.

True. Fingers crossed!

I finished my secondary app on Nov 3, it was marked complete on Nov. 6, was offered an interview on Nov. 7, and I interviewed on Nov 8. Based on my experience MU-COM admissions works very efficiently, or I applied at the perfect time.

I finished my secondary app on Nov 3, it was marked complete on Nov. 6, was offered an interview on Nov. 7, and I interviewed on Nov 8. Based on my experience MU-COM admissions works very efficiently, or I applied at the perfect time.

That is awesome! Congratulations!!! I'm assuming you live close if you were able to make it on such short notice? It really does seem like this school is on top of things and really has their act together. I love it

That is awesome! Congratulations!!! I'm assuming you live close if you were able to make it on such short notice? It really does seem like this school is on top of things and really has their act together. I love it

Ya I was pretty excited about it. I actually don't live that close, but that interview date worked the best for my upcoming schedule so I took it. Marian has definitely focused a lot of their resources on making this school a special place. Goodluck to you!

Ya I was pretty excited about it. I actually don't live that close, but that interview date worked the best for my upcoming schedule so I took it. Marian has definitely focused a lot of their resources on making this school a special place. Goodluck to you!
Hey congrats on the quick turnaround! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Sure. 3.60 sGPA, 3.65 cGPA, 3.94 Graduate GPA, and a 26 MCAT.

Hey everyone, I have an interview coming up this Saturday and as is going to be my first MMI, I'm shaking in my shoes! Any tips/suggestions you guys are willing to offer? I feel like I'm overanalyzing the whole MMI thing...but I don't know!

Hey everyone, I have an interview coming up this Saturday and as is going to be my first MMI, I'm shaking in my shoes! Any tips/suggestions you guys are willing to offer? I feel like I'm overanalyzing the whole MMI thing...but I don't know!

Google enough examples to have an idea what sort of thing to expect, and think of a way to approach the types of questions you see as examples. There will probably be at least one question that comes out of left field, so try to just think it through. Then relax and be genuine. They're trying to see what sort of person you are, and it's in your best interest to help them get an accurate picture to increase the chance you'll end up at a school that is a good fit for you. Try not to worry. I actually enjoyed several stations.

Google enough examples to have an idea what sort of thing to expect, and think of a way to approach the types of questions you see as examples. There will probably be at least one question that comes out of left field, so try to just think it through. Then relax and be genuine. They're trying to see what sort of person you are, and it's in your best interest to help them get an accurate picture to increase the chance you'll end up at a school that is a good fit for you. Try not to worry. I actually enjoyed several stations.

Thank you sir! I've been looking up some ethical stuff as well as some MMI type questions on Google. I guess the best thing for me to do is R E L A X. Thanks again!

Hi there SDNers,

Congrats to everyone with II's and acceptances!!

I'm moving to Indy early to be with family, so I "jumped the gun" and created a MUCOM Class of 2019 Facebook group in case there were other incoming students who are already in the area.

If you know that you're heading to MUCOM in the fall, please feel free to join the Facebook group (even if you're not in Indy now). I'm hoping that we'll be able to use it as a forum to share advice, spread the word about local events, share interesting medical/osteopathic news, etc. Anyway, the link is here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1552053631698260/

Good luck to everyone this cycle! Hope to see you at MUCOM this fall. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you sir! I've been looking up some ethical stuff as well as some MMI type questions on Google. I guess the best thing for me to do is R E L A X. Thanks again!

As someone who has been there-- I cannot stress how important it is to relax. I didn't get any interview feedback when I was admitted, but I can say with 100% certainty that I almost crashed-and-burned in my second MMI station-- not because it was tricky, but because I got uncharacteristically nervous because it was my first med school interview and I knew that I had lower stats than most of the applicants that day.

Which brings me to the first lesson I learned... Definitely talk to your fellow applicants on interview day (90% of them will be some of the kindest and most helpful people that you'll ever meet)... But walk away from that small group of gunners who are boasting about stats, IIs, etc.-- they will do everything in their power to rattle you (Disclaimer: this is not a MUCOM-specific thing-- this is an every med school/grad school/job/place in life/etc thing).

Anyway, I got so overwhelmed in that second station that I eventually fessed up and blurted out, "Sorry, I'm really nervous". In the time it took for my interviewer to say, "That's what MMIs are for-- to see how you react under pressure", I had already taken a deep breath and regrouped. It was not my finest and/or most articulate moment, but being honest and taking 2 seconds to get back on track helped me finish out the last 1-2 minutes on a much stronger note. After walking out of that station, I made sure that I took a couple of moments to breathe, chill out, and get my act together before entering each subsequent MMI. My next interview was by far my best MMI station, and I finished out the day strong... I even walked away having enjoyed the interview processes and having learned a lot of new/interesting things from my interviewers. So lesson #2-- have a plan to keep your nerves in check on interview day.

Remember that every single interviewer has been in a high-stakes interview before, and every single applicant is nervous, so everyone knows exactly what you're going through and there's no need to put added pressure on yourself. Don't let nerves get the best of you-- this is your time to shine!

If you find yourself getting overwhelmed, slow down your speech. If it gets really bad, just take a moment to take a deep breath--- or whatever it is--- that gets you to collect your thoughts. Two seconds of awkwardness to get back control of your feelings is worth salvaging your entire interview.

Oh, and definitely get lots of sleep the night before.

Best of luck! :)

Last edited:
it's not even awkward to take a breather when you notice you start rambling or whatever. it's pretty common. look at live interviews of even national leaders. it's not as if live real life stuff is perfectly segmented together like edited interviews on TV.

taking a second to formulate an idea after hearing the question is fine, and taking a second to figure out where you want to go next is okay too. like MPHOrtho13 said, it's better to take a second and have a great answer vs rambling on with a poorly constructed answer right away.

Anyone else interviewing tomorrow? I'm super excited even though I'm definitely an underdog for this school. I think that's helping me with nerves though. I have nothing to lose!

it's not even awkward to take a breather when you notice you start rambling or whatever. it's pretty common. look at live interviews of even national leaders. it's not as if live real life stuff is perfectly segmented together like edited interviews on TV.

taking a second to formulate an idea after hearing the question is fine, and taking a second to figure out where you want to go next is okay too. like MPHOrtho13 said, it's better to take a second and have a great answer vs rambling on with a poorly constructed answer right away.

You definitely bring up an important point... There's no need worry or obsess about getting the "perfect answer"-- those are next-to-impossible to come up with on the fly, and interviewers know this.

As someone who has been there-- I cannot stress how important it is to relax. I didn't get any interview feedback when I was admitted, but I can say with 100% certainty that I almost crashed-and-burned in my second MMI station-- not because it was tricky, but because I got uncharacteristically nervous because it was my first med school interview and I knew that I had lower stats than most of the applicants that day.

Which brings me to the first lesson I learned... Definitely talk to your fellow applicants on interview day (90% of them will be some of the kindest and most helpful people that you'll ever met)... But walk away from that small group of gunners who are boasting about stats, IIs, etc.-- they will do everything in their power to rattle you (Disclaimer: this is not a MUCOM thing-- this is an every med school/grad school/job/etc thing).

Anyway, I got so overwhelmed in that second station that I eventually fessed up and blurted out, "Sorry, I'm really nervous". In the time it took for my interviewer to say, "That's what MMIs are for-- to see how you react under pressure", I had already taken a deep breath and regrouped. It was not my finest and/or most articulate moment, but being honest and taking 2 seconds to get back on track helped me finish out the last 1-2 minutes on a much stronger note. After walking out of that station, I made sure that I took a couple of moments to breathe, chill out, and get my act together before entering each subsequent MMI. My next interview was by far my best MMI station, and I finished out the day strong... I even walked away having enjoyed the interview processes and having learned a lot of new/interesting things from my interviewers. So lesson #2-- have a plan to keep your nerves in check on interview day.

Remember that every single interviewer has been in a high-stakes interview before, and every single applicant is nervous, so everyone knows exactly what you're going through and there's no need to put added pressure on yourself. Don't let nerves get the best of you-- this is your time to shine!

If you find yourself getting overwhelmed, slow down your speech. If it gets really bad, just take a moment to take a deep breath--- or whatever it is--- that gets you to collect your thoughts. Two seconds of awkwardness to get back control of your feelings is worth salvaging your entire interview.

Oh, and definitely get lots of sleep the night before.

Best of luck! :)

Wow! That was not the help I was expecting to get. I really appreciate you taking the time out to talk about this with me! Just reading this alone calmed me down to an extent, and at this point I'm really looking forward to the MMI. My mindset is just to have fun with it. I think the breathing will also help me in case I get rattled. And its good to know its perfectly alright to gather thoughts during the interview. Thanks again. You're my hero! :love:

Anyone else interviewing tomorrow? I'm super excited even though I'm definitely an underdog for this school. I think that's helping me with nerves though. I have nothing to lose!

I'm not interviewing tomorrow, but I am on the 15th. I'm really excited for this and hoping I can do wonders because from what I've read, I really like this school. Good luck with your interview! I'm sure we'll both do just fantastic! :highfive:

i am really itching to get an II from this school.

i'm sure it's been asked, but about how long were you all complete before getting an II?

i am really itching to get an II from this school.

i'm sure it's been asked, but about how long were you all complete before getting an II?

Was placed on hold about two weeks after completion and told that my application would be reviewed in a month. I received an II 3 weeks later

Wow! That was not the help I was expecting to get. I really appreciate you taking the time out to talk about this with me! Just reading this alone calmed me down to an extent, and at this point I'm really looking forward to the MMI. My mindset is just to have fun with it. I think the breathing will also help me in case I get rattled. And its good to know its perfectly alright to gather thoughts during the interview. Thanks again. You're my hero! :love:

No problem; anytime. :D

... Now go rock that interview! :)

Interview opening on Saturday morning. You would be on campus for about 5.5 hours from 7:30 AM - 1 PM. If interested in moving to an earlier time, contact Bryan at [email protected].

Admissions

Just did my interview last week, so I will share some of my thoughts. The interview was very organized. The building is very beautiful and utterly new and the food was good. The interviewers seems to be rather nervous, which is funny. I am utterly impressed with the support from the community. I believe that I will be hard pressed to find a DO school that seems to have so many hospitals for rotations in its back yard.

Indianapolis is a beautiful enough city. While they hyped it out alot, I find it to be rather boring, nothing to write home about. It has everything you will need at affordable cost. They seems to have a lot of good restaurants, which is a big plus in my book. Another good thing about the city is its public transport which is rather cheap and well served. I actually used the bus fro and to the interview from my motel.

Overall, I am impressed and will be more than willing to attend the school

Could a current student please elaborate on the general class structure/exam schedule?

From the campus visit, it sounded like there's a lot of class time during first semester because of anatomy/anatomy lab. Also, I overheard someone saying that it's a block schedule, but instead of exams every few weeks like most med schools, there are exams every week... Is this true? Any insight on what the day-to-day, week-to-week grind is like would be much appreciated.

-TG

P.S. Sorry if someone mentioned this before, but I couldn't find this answer on any of the previous threads. Thanks!

II just now! So am I correct in seeing that there are no interview openings until February?