Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well...
Interviewed 11/15, just got an E-mail this morning stating I was rejected...I'm in shambles right now. I'm really losing it...
Good luck to the rest of you applying. It seems like an amazing school.

Members don't see this ad.

Well...
Interviewed 11/15, just got an E-mail this morning stating I was rejected...I'm in shambles right now. I'm really losing it...
Good luck to the rest of you applying. It seems like an amazing school.

Same here :(, but don't lose hope. Can't let one rejection get you down. Many others didn't even make it to the interviews. Be thankful for the opportunity and use this as a learning experience. If you are truly moved by the rejection, then use that emotion towards your next interview. I believe in you!:D

Thanks MUCOM :)
Also, just wondering too, since the school website states that MUCOM specializes in providing primary care to people in the areas, does that mean the popular residency that students choose are primary care? Can students explore different fields as well, for example, internal medicine or emergency? and complete residency with those fields?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, just wondering too, since the school website states that MUCOM specializes in providing primary care to people in the areas, does that mean the popular residency that students choose are primary care? Can students explore different fields as well, for example, internal medicine or emergency? and complete residency with those fields?
Thanks

We have not had students enter year 3 or 4 yet, so residency choices have not been made.

MU-COM

Volume 3 of the MU-COM Advantage Series is in the portal for admitted and deposited students.

Admissions

My letters of evaluation got uploaded last week...how long does it take for them to be processed?

My letters of evaluation got uploaded last week...how long does it take for them to be processed?

I did mine through interfolio and it took one day for my application to be complete (this was in october).

Uploaded to Interfolio/VirtualEvals or your application? When we add the letters to your application, you will receive a confirmation email from us. From there, the letters must be reviewed, which can take between 1-2 weeks at this time of the year.

Admissions

Uploaded to Interfolio/VirtualEvals or your application? When we add the letters to your application, you will receive a confirmation email from us. From there, the letters must be reviewed, which can take between 1-2 weeks at this time of the year.

Admissions

Interfolio/VirtualEvals.

Thanks
Many of your questions can be answered by checking out the MU-COM Catalog.

$1,000 down, $46,200 to go! I should be able to earn a free flight via my credit card in no time.

Can anyone describe MU-COM's concept of offering "student-centered" curriculum? I see that they've mentioned it in their materials but I have yet to see an explanation of what it means, other than that it isn't "faculty-centered." If the students don't understand the material or the class averages are low, is the curriculum or instructional methodology adjusted? Do instructors partake in some form of in-service training to improve their skills as communicators? Is the curriculum centered on learning objectives devised by the student body? Just throwing ideas out there, clearly, but I'm curious.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone describe MU-COM's concept of offering "student-centered" curriculum? I see that they've mentioned it in their materials but I have yet to see an explanation of what it means, other than that it isn't "faculty-centered." If the students don't understand the material or the class averages are low, is the curriculum or instructional methodology adjusted? Do instructors partake in some form of in-service training to improve their skills as communicators? Is the curriculum centered on learning objectives devised by the student body? Just throwing ideas out there, clearly, but I'm curious.

From what I understood when I interviewed, the students were able to give feedback on what they thought worked and didn't work. This then helped the faculty better design their curriculum in order to better meet the students' needs.

One example I remember: There was one week where the students all had a lot of tests and they thought they should be more spread out to help them with more time to study. The students talked about this and it was fixed for the next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a current OMS1 at MU-COM I would like to specifically address the Catholic aspect of the university and how it impacts the medical school itself. Currently on the website, the mission statement of the COM states:

"The Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine is a Catholic medical institution built on the inspired vision and values of our Franciscan heritage, and dedicated to preparing osteopathic physicians who are committed to the complete healing of individuals’ bodies, minds, and spirits. This institution is committed to serving the people of Indiana and to developing osteopathic physicians through research, service, and teaching."
http://www.marian.edu/osteopathic-medical-school/about/mission

The addition of these 5 very important words seems to have occurred in the time between when I was accepted to the COM and when I looked at it recently after we were given a 90 minute lecture specifically on Catholic medical ethics that was a part of our curriculum for the Introduction to Clinical Medicine course, was required for us to attend and we have confirmed with the course directors is testable material. There are other options for us to learn about non-Christian and non-Catholic Christian medical ethics but these are not a part of the curriculum, attendance is not required and we will not be tested on the material.

When I applied and was ultimately accepted at MU-COM, it was emphasized by faculty and admissions staff that Marian is a Catholic university with a medical school built on the Franciscan heritage, NOT a Catholic medical school. It is unclear right now when or how this change came about but there is quite a lot of dissent within the first year class after this lecture about whether or not we currently attend a Catholic medical school even though we were assured that it was not a Catholic medical school. I would not have enrolled at MU-COM if I knew this was a Catholic medical school. My personal religious affiliation is irrelevant because Catholic or not, I want to be able to learn all aspects of the medical profession and how to become a competent physician without restrictions imposed by Catholic doctrine. Examples of some topics covered in the recent Clinical Medicine lecture included:

The Church's view on pregnancy resulting from sexual assault.
The Church's view on assisted reproduction (IVF).
The Church's view on contraception.
The Church's view on euthanasia.
The Church's view on abortion.
The Church's view on organ transplantation.
The Church's view on the procreative nature of sexual intercourse.

While I believe there is strength in being familiar with ethics as they relate to religious beliefs, the material was not presented in a way that would be useful to us as physicians; rather, it was essentially a listing of the Church's belief on XYZ and that these are not permissible treatment options (according to the Church for patients who are Catholic).

Needless to say, the current first year class has started to look into the issue of whether or not we are attending a Catholic medical school. I am not yet sure how this would impact our rotations but two of our biggest local affiliations are St. Vincent's and St. Francis. In theory, that fact alone could impact what we would learn or experience during a rotation, especially during an OBGYN rotation.

I am happy to answer any further questions you have related to this issue and will keep you updated on any new information that we hear from inside of the COM.

Also I hate that I'm just going to answer your question with regards to homosexuality/LGBTQ acceptance here at the COM so briefly but THANKFULLY I can very simply say that yes, you are MORE THAN WELCOME at this institution. Our student body has some stand alone issues but I am proud and happy to report that I have not heard of any discrimination against our LGBTQ students or faculty. Equal rights and love for all! <3

From what I understood when I interviewed, the students were able to give feedback on what they thought worked and didn't work. This then helped the faculty better design their curriculum in order to better meet the students' needs.

One example I remember: There was one week where the students all had a lot of tests and they thought they should be more spread out to help them with more time to study. The students talked about this and it was fixed for the next year.
I see. I understand each class elects a representative that is permitted to sit in on curriculum development meetings and voice the opinions of the student body. Like you, the examples I remember all have to do with arrangement of the curriculum, not content. That's completely fine and I'm not objecting to whatever impact the administration allows the students to have. Rather, I'm hoping to get a clearer understanding of what a "student-centered" curriculum looks like. Thanks for your input.

Volume 4 of the MU-COM Advantage Series is in the portal for admitted and deposited students.

Admissions

After much deliberation, I put down my seat deposit today and withdrew all other IIs and offers that I have been sitting on. I am beyond thrilled to be part of the class of 2019 at Marian. Shout out to all my fellow future classmates; Lots-o-love.

Reactions: 3 users
After much deliberation, I put down my seat deposit today and withdrew all other IIs and offers that I have been sitting on. I am beyond thrilled to be part of the class of 2019 at Marian. Shout out to all my fellow future classmates; Lots-o-love.
if you don't mind my asking, what convinced you to make your final decision on MU-COM?? and CONGRATS!!

if you don't mind my asking, what convinced you to make your final decision on MU-COM?? and CONGRATS!!

It was a combination of family being in close driving distance from Indianapolis, the newness of the facilities, the atmosphere and general "feel" for the school that I experienced in comparison to the rest of my interviews, the potential and possibilities MUCOM offers with the deep connections and support it has with the surrounding healthcare system in Indiana, the amazing faculty, the focus on student needs and feedback, etc. Basically, MUCOM really makes it hard to say no to their program when you get down to the nitty-gritty of making a decision. At least that is what I felt when I was weighing all my options. However, this opinion is most likely to vary from applicant to applicant based upon their personal needs of a university. MUCOM just happened to have what was best for me. Thanks!

They follow the AACOMAS traffic guidelines. If you were accepted BEFORE November 15th, you have until December 14th to put down your seat deposit. If you were accepted anytime AFTER November 15th and before January/February 15th you have 30 days. Those accepted after that have 2 weeks I think. You can go to AACOMAS website to be sure.

I really love this school and the way they have been open and transparent, keeping everyone in the loop. However, after a tough ...VERY TOUGH decision making process, I will not be putting down my seat deposit on Dec 14th (I've had my acceptance since October) in favor of an Allopathic school.

Hope my seat goes to one of you still waiting. Good luck!

Have there been any interview invites these past couple of weeks? I was complete on 11/13 and am getting a little worried since week 4 just passed

Have there been any interview invites these past couple of weeks? I was complete on 11/13 and am getting a little worried since week 4 just passed

There have been initial interview decisions. Unfortunately, screening is taking 5 weeks in some cases. We are working diligently to catch up.

Admissions

Hello all.

I just received my secondary (I know it's a little late). I understand that MU-COM requires biochem, soc and psych--three of which I have not yet taken. Will I be automatically rejected because I have not yet taken them, or if I notify that I plan on taking them in the summer prior to matriculation, how do I notify them of that?

Marian's football team is in the NAIA championship game on ESPNU right now. Go Knights!

Just received an II for February 13th! Very excited to head back to the Hoosier state! Anyone have any idea how many seats they've filled? I just received an email from KCUMB saying that there class is full. Either way I'm very excited, I've only heard great things about Marian!

Last edited:
One of the things I appreciated most about MU-COM was that they only interview for real spots in the class and do not extend acceptances beyond the number of seats. Thus, there will also be wait list movement. KCUMB seemed to do some heavy marketing this year which apparently resulted in higher application volume than normal. Not sure what happened there this year with interviews (and hopefully they will not continue to accept apps until their original deadline knowing that all of their interviews slots are already filled). I do know that I found Marian's process to be very fair and well-organized! Hope this helps!

Just received an II for February 13th! Very excited to head back to the Hoosier state! Anyone have any idea how many seats they've filled? I just received an email from KCUMB saying that there class is full. Either way I'm very excited, I've only heard great things about Marian!

Above post was supposed to be a reply, sorry! Just getting the hang of SDN!

Just rcvd my II, but will be turning it down. Good luck everyone

Above post was supposed to be a reply, sorry! Just getting the hang of SDN!
Thanks really appreciate it! I'm very excited.
I wouldn't sweat it, dude/dudette. Every school does things differently. From AZCOM to KCUMB. No one does this process exactly the same. If you have an interview at Marian just focus on being yourself, being courteous, and smiling. You will be fine. Also, I will be completely honest here, MMIs, in general, are actually really really awesome-- I legitimately enjoyed doing them when I did them way back when.
Thanks you for your reply, also hearing that about MMIs makes me excited! And I'm a dude :) having my wife and kid in the profile pic can throw people off I guess

Where on my application can I let MU-COM know that I am planning on taking some pre-reqs this summer, if its not on my transcript, so they don't automatically reject me?

Thanks really appreciate it! I'm very excited.

Thanks you for your reply, also hearing that about MMIs makes me excited! And I'm a dude :) having my wife and kid in the profile pic can throw people off I guess

BTW most people would suggest not having a picture of yourself on here for relative anonymity reasons. Up to you obviously

I'm looking at flights right now for my interview date, what time is the interview day over (on a Friday) and what is the earliest I could fly out of IND same day? 7pm?

Where r u flying 2
I believe there were 2 interview times on my day 8 and 10 am

My interview time is 2:30....
On the Interview tab of the portal, the interview's duration is provided. My interview confirmation states the day's events will take approximately 5 hours; indeed, I arrived at noon and left at about 5:10. The airport is just about 20 minutes away from the school but you'll be moving in the direction of traffic as you leave the city so prepare for at least 30 minutes. Getting through the airport is usually a breeze if you're being dropped off.

On the Interview tab of the portal, the interview's duration is provided. My interview confirmation states the day's events will take approximately 5 hours; indeed, I arrived at noon and left at about 5:10. The airport is just about 20 minutes away from the school but you'll be moving in the direction of traffic as you leave the city so prepare for at least 30 minutes. Getting through the airport is usually a breeze if you're being dropped off.

Good to know! Thanks for the info! I think I'll stay and leave Saturday morning. I want to be able to spend some time in Indy and not be stressed about leaving that night.

II today! Nice :) I am extremely excited to come see Marian and Indianapolis.

Reactions: 1 users
How long does the interview last? I'm really excited for the MMI format, is it basically just acting in different situations?

@MU COM Are you able to provide a general timeline when the summer break between year 1 and year 2 starts and ends?

My application was complete on 11/18 but I still have yet to hear anything about an interview. Should I be concerned? And should I call the office of admissions?

Really hoping there is movement on this waitlist. Already sent in my allotted letter of intent. Top choice for me.