Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@MU COM Are you able to provide a general timeline when the summer break between year 1 and year 2 starts and ends?

Depends on the which class you're speaking of. Generally, the year ends the 3rd week in May and starts 1st week in August. You can also consult the catalog online. MU-COM reserves the right to change these dates.

Admissions

Members don't see this ad.

My application was complete on 11/18 but I still have yet to hear anything about an interview. Should I be concerned? And should I call the office of admissions?

Still working on a backlog due to increased volume, end of semester, and holidays. Sorry.

Admissions

Depends on the which class you're speaking of. Generally, the year ends the 3rd week in May and starts 1st week in August. You can also consult the catalog online. MU-COM reserves the right to change these dates.

Admissions
Thank you MUCOM, specifically for the class of 2019. I will consult the catalog!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you MUCOM, specifically for the class of 2019. I will consult the catalog!

FYI, the official dates for the Class of 2019 will not be released until the academic semesters start in August 2015 and January 2016. You are encouraged not to make plans until such time. Even so, the dates are subject to change.

MU-COM

Last edited:
Just received an II for February 13th! Very excited to head back to the Hoosier state! Anyone have any idea how many seats they've filled? I just received an email from KCUMB saying that there class is full. Either way I'm very excited, I've only heard great things about Marian!

I have also applied to KCUMB for this year but have not received an email. Can I please know when you got that email? Thanks a lot.

Hi everyone. I am new to this thread but I am trying my best to catch up. I will have my interview at MU-COM and I am very excited to be on campus. Wish you all the best in this cycle. For those of you who have already done their interviews, could you please tell me more about what to expect? Are there acting stations in the MMI component or is it all questions and answers? Any other comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Hi everyone. I am new to this thread but I am trying my best to catch up. I will have my interview at MU-COM and I am very excited to be on campus. Wish you all the best in this cycle. For those of you who have already done their interviews, could you please tell me more about what to expect? Are there acting stations in the MMI component or is it all questions and answers? Any other comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Have you had a chance to review the advice other applicants have already provided? If not, just search "MMI" within this thread and you'll see tips from several sources.

how long did it take for you guys to get your LORs verified?

how long did it take for you guys to get your LORs verified?

Once your letters are acknowledged as received, it can take between 2—3 weeks, depending on the volume of letters that we receive.

Admissions

Reactions: 1 user
MU-COM has an interview opening for Friday, 1/9/15 in the afternoon. If interested in this earlier date, contact Bryan by email at [email protected].

Admissions

did each of you guys have to get the physician letter hand signed before it was approved?

My undergrad university does not offer mock interviews. Is anyone willing/able to demonstrate a mock interview? Compensation for your time.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
did each of you guys have to get the physician letter hand signed before it was approved?

For letters to be deemed authentic, they should be on letterhead and signed. If you have questions about your individual letters, please call 317-955-6297.

Admissions

My undergrad university does not offer mock interviews. Is anyone willing/able to demonstrate a mock interview? Compensation for your time.

Congrats on the II! I was in the same boat, so I know how you feel. I'd be happy to do a mock MMI/traditional interview with you over Skype or GMail's video chat. No compensation necessary. :)

Disclaimer: Since interview questions are confidential, I cannot 'hint at', divulge, or practice any of the MU-COM prompts that I had been asked on my interview day. Instead, I would ask the same questions that I had prepped with (i.e., questions from widely published/distributed med school interview books such as "The Medical School Interview" by Desai and Katta, scientific journal articles about MMIs, etc... Basically, the same resources that everyone else uses and that all med schools know about). For me, this type of prep was more than sufficient.

If those rules of confidentiality are OK with you, then please feel free to PM me to setup a time to mock interview. I'm on break from school now, so my schedule is very flexible. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know what kind of community services can a student do at this school, both medical and non-medical related? Like providing medical care to people in the area? I cant seem to find that information on the website. Thanks :)

For letters to be deemed authentic, they should be on letterhead and signed. If you have questions about your individual letters, please call 317-955-6297.

Admissions

Hello!

I had a question in regards to the sociology class requirement. I have taken 'social psychology', 'economics, society and the environment' , 'biology,society, & biomed issues'. Would any of these fulfill the sociology requirement?

One other question is I am taking a year off to do a Masters and retake my MCATS but would a 19 MCAT generally give me no chance at any DO school if I did choose to apply this cycle to a few schools? I know many schools' averages are 24 and so I was just wondering.

Since sociology is on new meat maybe you should take regular sociology

Admissions

I understand your concern, but no where on the website does it say that the letters must be hand signed. Since you subscribe to Interfolio one would assume that their signature method would suffice.

I understand your concern, but no where on the website does it say that the letters must be hand signed. Since you subscribe to Interfolio one would assume that their signature method would suffice.

If you have questions about your individual letters, please call 317-955-6297.

From a private conversation on the MMI, reposted here for posterity:

I've got no advice to offer that is distinct from that offered by others on the forum. First step, relax. You will need to be thoughtful about your responses to the prompts and avoid giving absolute answers. More specifically, ensure you thoroughly entertain perspectives apart from your own when answering. Be friendly. Smile. Expect follow-up questions. Don't be alarmed by questions completely unrelated to the primary topic. Remember to breathe. Pause to gather your thoughts when considering your answers. Ask the interviewer clarifying questions about the prompt. Ask the interviewer questions about the nature of their work and the school's environment, if you have time. Be inquisitive, interested, engaging, and genuine about your desire to attend. But mostly relax.

I know the MMI questions should remain confidential, but I'm just wondering if any MMI stations involves the actor-based scenario at all? Like we walk in and interact with an actor while the interviewer is observing? Or all stations are problem-based scenario in which we just need to interact with an interviewer?
Thanks a lot.

I know the MMI questions should remain confidential, but I'm just wondering if any MMI stations involves the actor-based scenario at all? Like we walk in and interact with an actor while the interviewer is observing? Or all stations are problem-based scenario in which we just need to interact with an interviewer?
Thanks a lot.

MU-COM does not use actor- or team-based MMIs.

Admissions

Do they encourage usmle prep
That's a great question; Bryan talked about how MU-COM actually sets aside a time for M2s to receive Board Review AND AND AND they hire an outside vendor to prep students which is awesome.

This question may be asked already, but what kind of community service can a student get involved at MUCOM? both medical and non-medical related?
Thanks

Hello!

I had a question in regards to the sociology class requirement. I have taken 'social psychology', 'economics, society and the environment' , 'biology,society, & biomed issues'. Would any of these fulfill the sociology requirement?

One other question is I am taking a year off to do a Masters and retake my MCATS but would a 19 MCAT generally give me no chance at any DO school if I did choose to apply this cycle to a few schools? I know many schools' averages are 24 and so I was just wondering.

Hi there!

If you're applying now and won't know whether you're admitted until the spring semester starts, I would ask MU-COM directly about your specific requirements.

As someone who had an unsuccessful cycle last year (bias alert!), I've learned that applying early really does help. If you have a primary in, by all means apply now if you'd like (I know I did last year), but be realistic about your expectations, especially if you have other weaknesses in your application besides your MCAT. Also, if you apply this year and things don't go your way, be prepared to explain to med schools next year how you've improved your application (re-taking the MCAT is a great start).

Good luck with your applications! :)

P.S. This is aggregated allopathic data (so take this with a grain of salt), but this table of shows that 10.9% of students with a 17-19 MCAT and 3.8-4.0 GPA were accepted into a MD program for the 2012-2014 cycle. That rate (with the same MCAT range) dropped to 8.1% for students with GPAs between 3.6-3.79; 5.2% with a 3.4-3.59 GPA; 3.5% with a 3.2-3.39 GPA; and 2.7% with 3.00-3.19 a GPA. It doesn't perfectly match-up to the osteopathic data, but it's a handy guide to "ball park" what your overall chances are. Source: https://www.aamc.org/download/321508/data/factstable24.pdf

The osteopathic data may be found here (http://www.aacom.org/reports-programs-initiatives/aacom-reports/matriculants), but it's not in a nifty MCAT/GPA chart.

Last edited:
This question may be asked already, but what kind of community service can a student get involved at MUCOM? both medical and non-medical related?
Thanks

I'm also curious about this since I've been accepted into the Class of 2019. I'm interested in Family Medicine and would like to help with community health screenings, sports physicals, and/or pregnancy resource centers, etc.

For the MMI interview, are we able to take notes when we read the prompt before we come in and bring that notes inside the room?

For the MMI interview, are we able to take notes when we read the prompt before we come in and bring that notes inside the room?
yep! During my MMI, I think I was actually the only one that wasn't taking notes before entering the room. They encourage you to do whatever helps you most in the 2 minutes before you enter each room.

Thanks lulumed.
Then is there a copy of the prompt in each room for us to look at in case we may forget some details?

anyone know how full the class is at the moment?

yep! During my MMI, I think I was actually the only one that wasn't taking notes before entering the room. They encourage you to do whatever helps you most in the 2 minutes before you enter each room.

Likewise, I think I was the only one in my group who wasn't taking notes. I did this mainly because I didn't want to carry a notebook around when I entered the room to introduce myself to the interviewer. It sort of brought flashbacks from years ago when I was a server and would interact with customers. I agree with going with what makes you most comfortable. Either way, I believe maintaining eye contact and sincerity is key. For instance, I have heard so many patients complain about their physician walking in with a laptop and not only do they neglect performing a thorough physical exam but they hardly even look at the patient.

Would 'Intro to Sociology" fulfill the sociology course requirement? My school doesn't offer "sociology" alone but offers many variations of it such as sociology of women, sociology of culture...etc

Would 'Intro to Sociology" fulfill the sociology course requirement? My school doesn't offer "sociology" alone but offers many variations of it such as sociology of women, sociology of culture...etc
It definitely does. That's what I did.

anyone know how full the class is at the moment?

We don't share those numbers. As long as MU-COM is interviewing, though, there are seats available in our class of 162. Interviews last through mid-April.

Primary application deadline is March 1.
Supplemental application deadline is April 1.
Materials deadline is April 3.

Admissions

Hi MUCOM. Do you know when applications placed on hold previously will be reevaluated?

We meet every two weeks to review applications on hold for an initial interview decision. It generally takes 30 days unless we are waiting on more info (grades or MCAT).

Admissions

I am OOS and have an interview on 2/7/15. Does anyone know if the class if filled yet/have any idea if it will be before this time? I am worried that my interview is late and I will automatically be wait listed. Thanks!

Hello all.

I just received my secondary (I know it's a little late). I understand that MU-COM requires biochem, soc and psych--three of which I have not yet taken. Will I be automatically rejected because I have not yet taken them, or if I notify that I plan on taking them in the summer prior to matriculation, how do I notify them of that?

I did not take Sociology. I emailed admissions and they said it would be helpful but that I should go ahead and apply. I did and got an II a couple days later.

I am OOS and have an interview on 2/7/15. Does anyone know if the class if filled yet/have any idea if it will be before this time? I am worried that my interview is late and I will automatically be wait listed. Thanks!
Look at what @MU COM said a couple posts ago.

Here's a question that may or may not be quite silly... If you have not been rejected but have yet to be offered an II, is it possible/ appropriate to send a letter of intent? MU-COM is my top pick and I would instantly accept and deposit if offered a spot in the class. Just a thought...

Here's a question that may or may not be quite silly... If you have not been rejected but have yet to be offered an II, is it possible/ appropriate to send a letter of intent? MU-COM is my top pick and I would instantly accept and deposit if offered a spot in the class. Just a thought...

As a general practice, MU-COM does not accept pre-interview letters of intent.

Admissions

Does anyone know what kind of community services can a student do at this school, both medical and non-medical related? Like providing medical care to people in the area? I cant seem to find that information on the website. Thanks :)

Here is a partial list from our Student Outreach Club:
Since our start the Student Outreach has served lunch at Wheeler Mission for Men, stocked food and raised money for Gleaner's Food Bank, hosted a table about healthy eating and living at a local high school, served dinner to the homeless living in downtown, hosted a MU-COM volunteer event to clean up the EcoLab at Marian, helped restore an apartment in downtown with Rebuild the Wall, planted trees with Keeping Indianapolis Beautiful, and handed out candy at the annual Halloween at the Zoo. Our upcoming events are to serve dinner for Ronald McDonald House and to make valentines for a local retirement/rehabilitation home.

Just about every student group in the COM does outreach and community service. As a matter of fact, Marian University was just recognized by the Carnegie Foundation for our community engagement and outreach. We were one of only 3 Indiana schools to make the list. For more, go to http://www.marian.edu/newsroom/news...n-university-for-community-engagement-efforts.

Admissions

This question was asked previously with no response, but what scholarships are available at Marian?

This question was asked previously with no response, but what scholarships are available at Marian?

The school sent out the attached pdf a while back, in an effort to direct students to various external scholarships; it is titled accordingly. There are a handful of need-based programs Marian does not participate in but it's unclear why - perhaps because they're still quite new. School staff are also quick to suggest service-based programs like NHSC & military. I spoke with representatives from the American Medical Association Alliance several months ago and they indicated the Indiana branch plans to offer support to MU-COM students in the coming year (separate from the scholarships offered by the AMA). They have a strong track record of support for IU students so keep an eye out for that. Additionally, you should look into the AMA Alliance for reasons unrelated to scholarship.

Attachments

• Scholarship Opportunities.pdf
    108.2 KB · Views: 142
I spent an absurd amount of time on hold last cycle while I worked to get my application in order. I sent the Admissions office periodic updates.

I imagined receipt of these updates to be something like this:
"Hey everybody, he sent us another letter of intent! I'm really excited to see what he's been up to in the last three weeks! Man, as soon as he retakes that MCAT, he is SO INVITED. Actually we should basically accept him right now."

But it probably went something like this:
"Seriously?"

Reactions: 2 users
does anybody know how many interview dates are left for the current cycle?

does anybody know how many interview dates are left for the current cycle?

Currently, there are 7 interview days remaining for the entering fall 2015 class.

MU-COM

I just gave up my interview spot on Feb 13th, if you have one scheduled further out feel free to try to grab it.