Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So one of the big points of choosing MU-COM in Indiana over acceptances at schools in NY and California, was that there is less competition for good clinical rotations and other educational opportunities.

I just noticed this :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_University_School_of_Medicine_-_Evansville

A class of 80 probably isn't that big of a deal, and won't affect me - since they won't even be open until 2017 at the earliest, but it did get me thinking about how the clinical education distribution is at the hospitals MU-COM is currently working with for 3/4th year clinicals?

@MU COM
Are the majority of the 3rd year core sites, in cooperation with IU, as in the preceptors and clinical faculty have taught students before or are some of the sites first time with having medical students in the hospital etc?

This is more-so a curiosity post and not meant to be negative at all :)

Our two biggest hospital partners, St.Vincent and Community, have had IU students rotate in the past. Those hospitals are now fully affiliated with MU-COM. 90 third years will go to St.V and 60 to Community. They are very well versed in having medical students in the hospitals. This goes for many of our other clinical partners too.

Admissions

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you happen to know (roughly) when the next committee meeting for the alternate list is?

It varies. The committee will look at the alternate list again in March and even more in April through May and beyond. We appreciate your patience!

Admissions

Reactions: 1 user
I got the acceptance call/email yesterday!!! :) Best of luck to all of you in the application process!

Members don't see this ad :)
Re: the Evansville location, there is already an IU campus there with with 16 students. Now they will just offer more 3rd and 4th year rotations in southern Indiana.
Yah makes sense, wasn't concerned at all. Just made me curious about MUCOMs clinicals more than anything. I want to be in a place wher
Our two biggest hospital partners, St.Vincent and Community, have had IU students rotate in the past. Those hospitals are now fully affiliated with MU-COM. 90 third years will go to St.V and 60 to Community. They are very well versed in having medical students in the hospitals. This goes for many of our other clinical partners too.

Admissions

Thank you! This is why I respect MU-COM so much, they actually take the time to communicate with their students and answer questions. (Y)

Can't wait for July!

Do you guys know if they are full? II here mid-March.

If admitted, are the online courses through UNE or Berkeley accepted or does the class need to be taken in person?

I'm a current second year - I took a Ochem lab (only needed one credit) through UNE and they accepted it. I emailed MUCOM the syllabus beforehand and it was OK'd.

I am on the fence about this school and would love an input from a current student.

1. The school website emphasies a lot about research, how many of you have actually participated in research? And how approachable professors are about a chance to work under them?

2. With this school being quite recent, are the rotations, as far as you know, many and diverse? What I mean to say is that are you pigeonholed into GP like field or do you have enough resources for different specialties?

3. What made MUCOM, a school for you? What I mean to say is that I am sure most if not all of you got accepted to more than one osteopathic school, so why MUCOM?

4. I see this school has a religious background, having started from Sisters of St Francis, I guesss what I am getting around is, how much focus is religious based. Is the school like say Liberty in Virginia?

5. From what I researched, they have new housing, is housing included in the tuition?

Many students participate in research (myself included). The professors are very excited for students to show interest in their research and work with them. Most professors have 1-2 slots for students to work with them during the summer (and possibly during the school year too - not sure about that though). It is HIGHLY encouraged for medical students to participate in some type of research during pre-clinical or clinical years - residency programs like that - and there are tons of opportunities to do so. Here's the link to the research portion of MUCOM's website if you're interested in learning more - http://www.marian.edu/osteopathic-medical-school/research

To speak to rotations - all of my rotations will be within a ~20 minute drive for the most part (I live downtown). We have many opportunities to rotate through specialities - we also have the space for many electives during fourth year which can include specialities like neuro and cardio, etc. The hospitals we will be rotatating at (community and St V's) have tons of opportunities for us - look them up!

Do you guys know if they are full? II here mid-March.

MU-COM is not full. There are seats available even on the last interview weekend.

Admissions

Last edited:
IMPORTANT DATES: Close of 2015 Application Cycle

The following are important updates:
  • Seats still exist for the entering fall 2015 class.
  • The supplemental application deadline is 5 PM EDT on April 1, 2015.
  • Letters of recommendation and related application materials will be accepted until 5 PM EDT on April 3, 2015.
  • Materials received after this date will not be processed. There will be no exceptions to this timeline.
  • Processing of completed applications will continue after April 3, 2015, until a final decision is rendered.
  • The last interview weekend is April 10-11, 2015.
Please resist the overwhelming urge to call our office immediately after submitting materials to us. Given the volume of applications received, processing can take 2—3 days (or longer). Phone calls delay processing for everyone. Remember, if you have been invited to complete a supplemental application, you can check the status of your application 24 hours a day in our admissions portal. Once processing is complete, you will receive an email confirmation of your status. Accordingly, if you have questions or concerns, please contact us by email at [email protected].

When submitting application materials to us, please do so electronically. Letters of recommendation should be submitted by Interfolio or VirtualEvals; your AACOMAS ID must be specified in your upload. Alternatively, materials may be submitted by email directly to Kelly Early at [email protected]; include the applicant's full name and AACOMAS ID. (NOTE: Letters of recommendation must be submitted by the recommender, not the applicant.)

Thank you,
Admissions

P.S. For more info on the processing of letters, please see the attachment.

Attachments

• LOR Guidelines 2014_2015.pdf
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 92
Hello,

have you had experience with the mentoring program they started with local physicians (1/2 day once a month if I'm not mistaken). ?

Thanks

Yep! I think it's a little bit different for my class and the class below me. For our class we were automatically assigned a mentor and I think that it may be something that's an option to you if you want it now? Don't quote me on that though. Maybe a first year can comment more specifically.

I personally really liked the program, but I also know people that didn't. I liked it because I was assigned a family physician and was able to see a variety of things (including OMM). The people I know that didn't like it were people that were assigned more specific physicians where they limited to learning one things (for example my one friend was assigned a rheumatologist and it was just arthritis all the time). Some people have mentors that are right in the city while others have mentors that are a little farther away (mine is a little farther but I still tried to make the trip because I liked the experience). I haven't found the time as much since second year gets a little busier, but I know some people that spend time with their mentors frequently. Either way it's nice to have the option and I think it's cool to have the option to experience that. Hope that answers your question!

Yep! I think it's a little bit different for my class and the class below me. For our class we were automatically assigned a mentor and I think that it may be something that's an option to you if you want it now? Don't quote me on that though. Maybe a first year can comment more specifically.

I personally really liked the program, but I also know people that didn't. I liked it because I was assigned a family physician and was able to see a variety of things (including OMM). The people I know that didn't like it were people that were assigned more specific physicians where they limited to learning one things (for example my one friend was assigned a rheumatologist and it was just arthritis all the time). Some people have mentors that are right in the city while others have mentors that are a little farther away (mine is a little farther but I still tried to make the trip because I liked the experience). I haven't found the time as much since second year gets a little busier, but I know some people that spend time with their mentors frequently. Either way it's nice to have the option and I think it's cool to have the option to experience that. Hope that answers your question!

Regardless of the up or down experiences people are having that still seems like a very nice program to kinda get away from the course work and have some clinical perspectives. Thank you for all the information!

Does MarianU have a systems-based curriculum?

Hello,

I just finished my secondary application for MU-COM. Does anyone know how long does it take for them to make a decision on the app keeping in mind that the app cycle will end in about a month?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the exact numbers for OOS tuition? I saw 44K/ year, and I'm wondering if that's common for schools of this league. Is there anyway
to work around this to get a lower cost of attendance? Merit based scholarships?

Hello,

I just finished my secondary application for MU-COM. Does anyone know how long does it take for them to make a decision on the app keeping in mind that the app cycle will end in about a month?
4 weeks.

So one of the big points of choosing MU-COM in Indiana over acceptances at schools in NY and California, was that there is less competition for good clinical rotations and other educational opportunities.

I just noticed this :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_University_School_of_Medicine_-_Evansville

A class of 80 probably isn't that big of a deal, and won't affect me - since they won't even be open until 2017 at the earliest, but it did get me thinking about how the clinical education distribution is at the hospitals MU-COM is currently working with for 3/4th year clinicals?

@MU COM
Are the majority of the 3rd year core sites, in cooperation with IU, as in the preceptors and clinical faculty have taught students before or are some of the sites first time with having medical students in the hospital etc?

This is more-so a curiosity post and not meant to be negative at all :)

IUSM has I believe 6+ campuses that all offer the option to do m3 and 4 downtown; however, IU Health is where they rotate so there's no cross over between MU and IU rotation sites

Does anyone know the exact numbers for OOS tuition? I saw 44K/ year, and I'm wondering if that's common for schools of this league. Is there anyway
to work around this to get a lower cost of attendance? Merit based scholarships?

The cost of attendance for MU-COM is online at http://www.marian.edu/osteopathic-medical-school/financial-aid/Tuition-and-budget. Our tuition is at the 50th percentile for private DO schools. General options to finance your degree are covered at http://www.marian.edu/osteopathic-medical-school/financial-aid.

Admissions

Hello,

Generally, we must move faster at this time of the year due to the upcoming close of the cycle. We process applications on a rolling basis though.

Admissions

3.5 gpa, 32 MCAT. Because of extenuating circumstances, haven't turned in secondary yet. What are my chances if I send it in this week? (March 5th) Applying late reduces my chances, but by how much?

I don't know if you could get an interview you better hurry up

3.5 gpa, 32 MCAT. Because of extenuating circumstances, haven't turned in secondary yet. What are my chances if I send it in this week? (March 5th) Applying late reduces my chances, but by how much?

Please apply. As mentioned before, our class is not full until after our last interview weekend in mid-April. Hence, the April 1 supp app deadline. The deadline for all materials is April 3, so plan accordingly.

Admissions

Please apply. As mentioned before, our class is not full until after our last interview weekend in mid-April. Hence, the April 1 supp app deadline. The deadline for all materials is April 3, so plan accordingly.

Admissions
Thanks so much for the prompt reply! I truly appreciate everyone's input.

REALLY hoping to move off the alternate list to the accepted students.. even sent in a LOI.. hoping for some MU-COM love in March...
Was disheartened that there was an accepted students day yesterday, and I wasn't invited :( ..did anyone go?

has anybody heard of anyone getting off of the alternate list without writing a LOI?

I just filled out my secondary.
3.2 cGPA (high upward trend)
3.5 SMP GPA
26 MCAT (9, 7, 10)
2 years clinical experience
Do I have a chance at getting an interview?

It is unlikely this late in the cycle. MUCOM is only interviewing for another month (2-3 more interview weekends I believe?) and you numbers are below the average accepted student to the school. The rest of your application would need to be stellar for them to give you an in-depth look and extend and interview. However, anything is possible so I wish you the best of luck!

I just filled out my secondary.
3.2 cGPA (high upward trend)
3.5 SMP GPA
26 MCAT (9, 7, 10)
2 years clinical experience
Do I have a chance at getting an interview?

Thanks for submitting your supplemental. An interview invitation will depend on our holistic review. Look for a response in the next couple weeks.

It is unlikely this late in the cycle. MUCOM is only interviewing for another month (2-3 more interview weekends I believe?) and you numbers are below the average accepted student to the school. The rest of your application would need to be stellar for them to give you an in-depth look and extend and interview. However, anything is possible so I wish you the best of luck!

Fair feedback, but really only MU-COM can determine what is likely or unlikely at this point.

Admissions

Reactions: 2 users
MU-COM Interview Openings This Weekend

There is an interview opening this weekend on Friday, March 13 and Saturday, March 14.
  • The time commitment for Friday is from 12 - 5:30 PM; Saturday from 7:30 AM - 1 PM.
  • Openings are first-come, first-serve.
If you are interested, please email Bryan at [email protected].

Admissions

MU COM said:
Fair feedback, but really only MU-COM can determine what is likely or unlikely at this point.
Admissions
Agreed, I was too presumptuous. I encourage anyone who is still on the fence about MUCOM to submit their secondary up to the very last deadline :)

Reactions: 1 users
MU-COM Interview Openings This Weekend

There is an interview opening this weekend on Friday, March 13 and Saturday, March 14.
  • The time commitment for Friday is from 12 - 5:30 PM; Saturday from 7:30 AM - 1 PM.
  • Openings are first-come, first-serve.
If you are interested, please email Bryan at [email protected].

Admissions

Openings are only for those who have been invited to interview.

Admissions

@MU COM

Honestly, this is impressive, I wish every school did this with feedback. Really improves my opinion of the school. I wish I didn't have to give up my interview, but I ran out of money. Good luck everyone.

@MU COM

Can you please clarify something with respect to the clinical schedule?

After looking at the following link I have a few questions:http://www.marian.edu/docs/default-...opathic-medicine-college-catalog.pdf?sfvrsn=8

Based on this excerpt:

"In the fourth year, students must complete a CORE rotation in family medicine and four required rotations in:
 community health, where the expectation is to work in a non -profit or faith-based organization providing support to the community in some material way;
 emergency medicine;
 rural rotation with a preceptor, where students will obtain a sense of the attractions of small town living and practice; and
 a public health experience with the State or City/County Health Department."

1. Are the locations of these 4 required rotations decided for us, or are the required but you are able to find the specific site yourself?

2. Based on the credit weighting of 12 credits, is each of these equivelant then to 4 weeks(1 month)?

3. For the community health rotation - what areas are exactly covered and allowable to fit the requirements?

4. For the rural rotation, similar to question 3- any area of practice?

5. What exactly is the "public health experience" ?

6. Is there an order these must be done, or is it fairly safe to say these will be done after students have been able to spend their time utilizing the 4 months(16 weeks) of elective rotations for auditions.

While It's nice to have 16 weeks of electives in 4th year, it is a bit concerning to have 8 weeks locked up into "community health" and "public health" - as they are currently vaguely defined. But of course once elucidated i'm sure they could very well be just name-place holders for perfectly fine clinical experiences :)

Thank you for your time and clarifications.

Does anyone know if all the ii have been given out? I think theres only 3 weekends left excluding this weekend, right.

Does anyone know if all the ii have been given out? I think theres only 3 weekends left excluding this weekend, right.
I just received an e-mail yesterday informing me I'd been moved to the interview wait list and may be offered an interview if space opens up, which occurs regularly. It also said there are still spots available for the entering 2015 class.

I just received an e-mail yesterday informing me I'd been moved to the interview wait list and may be offered an interview if space opens up, which occurs regularly. It also said there are still spots available for the entering 2015 class.

Nice! When were you complete?

@MU COM

Can you please clarify something with respect to the clinical schedule?

After looking at the following link I have a few questions:http://www.marian.edu/docs/default-...opathic-medicine-college-catalog.pdf?sfvrsn=8

Based on this excerpt:

"In the fourth year, students must complete a CORE rotation in family medicine and four required rotations in:
 community health, where the expectation is to work in a non -profit or faith-based organization providing support to the community in some material way;
 emergency medicine;
 rural rotation with a preceptor, where students will obtain a sense of the attractions of small town living and practice; and
 a public health experience with the State or City/County Health Department."

1. Are the locations of these 4 required rotations decided for us, or are the required but you are able to find the specific site yourself?

2. Based on the credit weighting of 12 credits, is each of these equivelant then to 4 weeks(1 month)?

3. For the community health rotation - what areas are exactly covered and allowable to fit the requirements?

4. For the rural rotation, similar to question 3- any area of practice?

5. What exactly is the "public health experience" ?

6. Is there an order these must be done, or is it fairly safe to say these will be done after students have been able to spend their time utilizing the 4 months(16 weeks) of elective rotations for auditions.

While It's nice to have 16 weeks of electives in 4th year, it is a bit concerning to have 8 weeks locked up into "community health" and "public health" - as they are currently vaguely defined. But of course once elucidated i'm sure they could very well be just name-place holders for perfectly fine clinical experiences :)

Thank you for your time and clarifications.

Our clerkship grid, in particular year 4, as been revised. Effectively community health, public health, and rural have merged into one 4 week rotation. To allow for more residency preparation, the number of elective months has been increased.

The expectation for community health was to work in a non-profit or faith-based organization providing support to the community. The public health expectation was to work with the state or city/county health department.

Hope this helps,
Admissions

Our clerkship grid, in particular year 4, as been revised. Effectively community health, public health, and rural have merged into one 4 week rotation. To allow for more residency preparation, the number of elective months has been increased.

The expectation for community health was to work in a non-profit or faith-based organization providing support to the community. The public health expectation was to work with the state or city/county health department.

Hope this helps,
Admissions

Thank you as always MU-COM, you are a very progressive program with regards to student communication.

Also- thanks for the water-bottle! I was surprised when it arrived in the mail, a simple but effective gesture :)

Does anyone know if the Organic chemistry hour requirement can be fulfilled by Organic 1 and Biochem as long as they are both 4 credit hours?

Does anyone know if the Organic chemistry hour requirement can be fulfilled by Organic 1 and Biochem as long as they are both 4 credit hours?

MU-COM does not permit prerequisite substitutions. Biochem cannot be used for organic chemistry.

Admissions

How many interview times are left? I know they have placed people on a waitlist for interviews. Is the only and last interview slots on April 10-11th (if any seats open up)?