Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So... where does everyone recommend living? Overlook?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So... where does everyone recommend living? Overlook?

Hi there! :) Lots of current and incoming students posted their thoughts on renting apartments/houses on the Facebook page (there's even a document from MUCOM students with ratings of nearby apartments, plus lots of roommate requests). Lots of Overlook info there.

There isn't as much info on the FB page for those who want to buy a home as fewer students go down this route (with that said, lots of '18s and '17s are willing to offer advice). I'm from out-of-state and bought my first home last month, so I'd be happy to PM advice to any incoming MUCOM students like me who are completely maxed out on student loans but are also considering buying in Indy. While I'm very happy with my decision to buy, there are a lot of things I wish I would've known/done differently in the Indy house-hunting process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! :) Lots of current and incoming students posted their thoughts on renting apartments/houses on the Facebook page (there's even a document from MUCOM students with ratings of nearby apartments, plus lots of roommate requests). Lots of Overlook info there.

There isn't as much info on the FB page for those who want to buy a home as fewer students go down this route (with that said, lots of '18s and '17s are willing to offer advice). I'm from out-of-state and bought my first home last month, so I'd be happy to PM advice to any incoming MUCOM students like me who are completely maxed out on student loans but are also considering buying in Indy. While I'm very happy with my decision to buy, there are a lot of things I wish I would've known/done differently in the Indy house-hunting process.
You're so awesome :)

Does anyone know why Fin Aid said that there are NO scholarships available for [first-year] students? Is everyone truly depending on solely loans?

For those of us on the waitlist that have new semester grades to send to MU-COM, do we have the transcripts sent to MU-COM or AACOMAS? Since the new AACOMAS website for the 2015-16 application cycle is live, I can't access my old login to update my application.

Does anyone know why Fin Aid said that there are NO scholarships available for [first-year] students? Is everyone truly depending on solely loans?

MU-COM does offer scholarships, but they are limited. We participate in all the national service scholarships. In addition, through the state of Indiana, we also offer scholarships to Indiana residents who agree to work in primary care in a rural/underserved area during residency and/or after graduation. From all sources, the average scholarship/grant last year was $12,550.

For more info, go to http://www.marian.edu/osteopathic-medical-school/financial-aid.

Admissions

For those of us on the waitlist that have new semester grades to send to MU-COM, do we have the transcripts sent to MU-COM or AACOMAS? Since the new AACOMAS website for the 2015-16 application cycle is live, I can't access my old login to update my application.

AACOMAS closed in April for the 2015 cycle, so alternate list applicants can send final grades directly to MU-COM. Please sent by email to [email protected].

We only accept official transcripts. We do not accept screen shots.

Admissions

To add to MUCOM's response... I've found that even older programs with absurdly large endowments don't have that many scholarships to come by outside of the federal/state programs that MUCOM also offers. Even if these schools do offer scholarships, they typically look for very specific applicants (e.g., you live in X county, are a lifelong advocate for Y medical condition, and promise to become a Z specialty physician), and most of them are not full rides.

Among the schools that I applied to, I found that the MUCOM/Eli Lilly summer internship was one of the most generous research awards for 'typical' med students (i.e. non-PhD seeking). Even though it's not 'free money' (it's essentially a summer job), I've heard nothing but glowing reviews from the students who have participated in it.

I've had the most scholarship success in speaking to my undergrad's and grad school's career services and pre-med committees. I went to a tiny undergrad, and I was amazed by the number of small ($500-$5,000) scholarships that my school's alums offer that aren't widely advertised. Unfortunately, at least in my alma mater's case, a lot of the deadlines have passed or are rapidly approaching, so def check with your school(s) ASAP.

While taking out $70,000+/year in student loans may seem overwhelming, it's a lot easier to think of them as an investment. When I get scared of my projected monthly repayment calculations, I remind myself that thousands of medical students before me have successfully repaid their loans. With a little bit of financial planning (I've found this website to be useful: http://whitecoatinvestor.com) and living well below your means in the decade after med school, you can crush those loans and (gasp) save lots of money for life/retirement. Good luck. :)

Can we expect to still see a lot of movement on the AL since the multiple acceptance deadline has passed?

Can we expect to still see a lot of movement on the AL since the multiple acceptance deadline has passed?

We have to wait for AACOM to calculate the multiple deposits and to notify the COMs.

Admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
So hopeful that I will come off the wait list. Really liked Marian from the time I stepped on campus. Has anyone been accepted in the last week or so? Trying to stay positive. Good luck to everyone is the same position.
l

So hopeful that I will come off the wait list. Really liked Marian from the time I stepped on campus. Has anyone been accepted in the last week or so? Trying to stay positive. Good luck to everyone is the same position.
l
It doesn't appear that Indiana University School of Medicine has had any movement on their alternate list. When this happens, I would expect things at Marian to begin moving. Marian is hands down my first choice over IU due to the interactions with their admissions departments and the general attitude towards students. Cost of attendance and geography will play a role though in the decision making process. It is way too early to loose hope. Good Luck!

l

Small movement has happened here and there, but June and July are typically the busiest.

Admissions

l

Right there with ya. Was really impressed with Marian. Hoping for the best, good luck!

@admissions:

Is there a lot of opportunity for mission work and what countries have students traveled to/will travel to?

Where can we access the board exams passing rate statistics for Marian?

We are pleased to announce that Volume 6 of the DO Series has been posted to the admissions portal for admitted and deposited students.

Admissions

Hi all! How would one suggest taking notes for lecture/labs? Laptop? Print out notes?

Thank you!

Could any current students comment on how often/in what capacity they use the recorded lectures?

Small movement has happened here and there, but June and July are typically the busiest.

Admissions

Really hoping on an acceptance here! I will continue to follow up and hope for the best!

*I can hear my head talking to me and reciting, 'stay optimistic, keep your head up, you can do it'

Where is everyone planning on living? I've heard that Broad Ripple and Mass Ave are great upcoming areas in Indy.

Giving up my seat here. I wish all of you the best, and I hope it goes to one of you. MUCOM is def an awesome gig

Looks like I'm heading to MU-COM…. accepted last week! See y'all here soon

Volume 7 of the DO Series is in the portal for admitted and deposited students.

Admissions

It is with genuine sadness that I withdraw from MU-COM today! I LOVED this program and if it weren't for a recent acceptance to a much cheaper school I would've been THRILLED to matriculate here in August! Best of luck to anyone on the waitlist -- hope my spot goes to one of you!

Reactions: 1 users
Can someone kindly explain how to receive a confirmation that our background check has cleared post-acceptance?

Can someone kindly explain how to receive a confirmation that our background check has cleared post-acceptance?

If you mean that MU-COM has approved and accepted your background check, your portal will be updated.

Admissions

To add to MUCOM's response... I've found that even older programs with absurdly large endowments don't have that many scholarships to come by outside of the federal/state programs that MUCOM also offers. Even if these schools do offer scholarships, they typically look for very specific applicants (e.g., you live in X county, are a lifelong advocate for Y medical condition, and promise to become a Z specialty physician), and most of them are not full rides.

Among the schools that I applied to, I found that the MUCOM/Eli Lilly summer internship was one of the most generous research awards for 'typical' med students (i.e. non-PhD seeking). Even though it's not 'free money' (it's essentially a summer job), I've heard nothing but glowing reviews from the students who have participated in it.

I've had the most scholarship success in speaking to my undergrad's and grad school's career services and pre-med committees. I went to a tiny undergrad, and I was amazed by the number of small ($500-$5,000) scholarships that my school's alums offer that aren't widely advertised. Unfortunately, at least in my alma mater's case, a lot of the deadlines have passed or are rapidly approaching, so def check with your school(s) ASAP.

While taking out $70,000+/year in student loans may seem overwhelming, it's a lot easier to think of them as an investment. When I get scared of my projected monthly repayment calculations, I remind myself that thousands of medical students before me have successfully repaid their loans. With a little bit of financial planning (I've found this website to be useful: http://whitecoatinvestor.com) and living well below your means in the decade after med school, you can crush those loans and (gasp) save lots of money for life/retirement. Good luck. :)

Have to agree with you. Advice from a practicing physician who was full loans.................worry about getting in and getting through it and THEN you will be able to repay the loans. Everyone comes out of Medical school in debt unless "Mommy and Daddy" are wealthy. Not many of us have good ole mom and dad footing the bill! As for myself.........................full loan and "it is what it is". I got this far, I will see the end and the loan companies will get their money.

Hi Marian admissions, any general update on admissions? The suspense is killing me :).

UGH! Gave up my spot on the waitlist today and decided to go to KCUMB. I am very excited about KC but loved Marian too. Very tough decision but I just couldn't wait any longer. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE.

Reactions: 1 users
:soexcited:Accepted Today! I'm so excited to attend such a great school! My stats are GPA 3.85 MCAT 28. See everyone in a couple of weeks

what were your stats if you don't mind sharing
Accepted today! Good luck to everyone on the waitlist. See you guys in the fall!

Interviewed 1/30? It's been so long I almost forgot. OOS. Where is this facebook group? Been going through the threads but I'm not sure if I'm just glossing over the link.