Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to everyone applying! If you have any questions about the application process feel free to PM me (an MUCOM student in <1 month)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I've already had my primary verified, but I'm taking summer courses until the end of June. Should I apply for MU-COM before or after the scores come in?

My stats are as follows:
GPA: 3.37 cgpa | 3.22 sci | 3.57 nonsci
MCAT: 28 (9/10/9)

After summer courses:
GPA: 3.4 cgpa | 3.3 sci | 3.57 nonsci

I've already had my primary verified, but I'm taking summer courses until the end of June. Should I apply for MU-COM before or after the scores come in?

My stats are as follows:
GPA: 3.37 cgpa | 3.22 sci | 3.57 nonsci
MCAT: 28 (9/10/9)

After summer courses:
GPA: 3.4 cgpa | 3.3 sci | 3.57 nonsci

You should apply now, and then update AACOMAS/schools with your summer grades when they post. That way, you can at least get the ball rolling on your secondary and sending letters in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an email from MUCOM on the 10th saying that I was complete and ready for review, which typically lasts 2-3 weeks. Wow, I really wasn't expecting to to be done so fast. It would be awesome to get an ii in a few weeks (or ya know... at all).

Received an email from MUCOM on the 10th saying that I was complete and ready for review, which typically lasts 2-3 weeks. Wow, I really wasn't expecting to to be done so fast. It would be awesome to get an ii in a few weeks (or ya know... at all).

For-rizzle. Hoping to hear something before the open house on July 25. Btw, is anyone else going?

Is there anywhere on the website that shows the layout or lists the curriculum of the school? I've been researching and haven't managed to find it yet!

Is there anywhere on the website that shows the layout or lists the curriculum of the school? I've been researching and haven't managed to find it yet!

Our website will be relaunched before the open house on July 25th with new info including the curriculum.

MU-COM

Reactions: 1 user
I'll try and hit all the points you brought up. If I miss anything, let me know.

1) Its not the most expensive tuition. I believe that CCOM and AZCOM are the winners in that category, something like 55K for tuition alone! Add on top of that living expenses, and its like 75K a year!

2) I have only heard good things about the school

3)The classmates I have heard don't really attend lectures, and I have heard there are lots of "Gunners".

4) I got a chance to talk to some of the faculty and they seem nice. Its like any school, good and bad profs.

5) I do pick up on the "IU does it, so we must do it" vibe, with the pre rec requirements of Biochem Soc, and Psychology, and the MCAT only being from 2015, but they are a new school so that might be expected. I feel like once they graduate their first class, MUCOM will have more confidence in making changes.

6) Did you see the Average GPA and MCAT? Far from subpar, I know people in MD schools with that GPA.

If you don't like MUCOM, don't apply.
Disregard those comments since they seem like students accepted which means they have already accepted the school's subpar standards and want others to get suckered in a horrible experience. Either that or they're bots created by the school to promote their terrible reputation.

Disregard those comments since they seem like students accepted which means they have already accepted the school's subpar standards and want others to get suckered in a horrible experience. Either that or they're bots created by the school to promote their terrible reputation.
Why would we listen to you over someone else? Low post count (seriously 10 posts in a year??), inaccurate statements and no real purpose. I am only a pre-med, but I had a fellow student pick this school over getting stuck in Terre Haute at IUSM. This place has a lot of big money and professional community support behind it. If you don't like it, don't apply.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would we listen to you over someone else? Low post count (seriously 10 posts in a year??), inaccurate statements and no real purpose. I am only a pre-med, but I had a fellow student pick this school over getting stuck in Terre Haute at IUSM. This place has a lot of big money and professional community support behind it. If you don't like it, don't apply.

seriously, this school is getting rave reviews from everybody on the student Dr. network Community.

Hey guys, incoming MS1 here. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about MU-COM.

@MU COM Do we have to have all of our LORS in with our secondary, before being considered complete? I have all my LORs except my DO LOR. They won't have it ready for a few more weeks, so i'm wondering if I should not be submitting the rest right now, and just wait until my DO LOR is in, and send it all at once. Save a few bucks on interfolio transfer..

@MU COM Do we have to have all of our LORS in with our secondary, before being considered complete? I have all my LORs except my DO LOR. They won't have it ready for a few more weeks, so i'm wondering if I should not be submitting the rest right now, and just wait until my DO LOR is in, and send it all at once. Save a few bucks on interfolio transfer..

You can do either, but your application will not be screened for an interview decision until it is complete. A complete application includes: AACOMAS application, supplemental application (questions, fee, and certification) MCAT scores, and letters of recommendation.

Admissions

Thank you @MU COM admissions. Hopefully end of July is not too late to be considered for sept/october interviews..for a competitive applicant.

@MU COM
In looking through the matriculant requirements on the Marian website, I've found myself a little confused. It appears that the absolute minimum is a 3.1 (cGPA and sGPA) in the last 120 hours. Unfortunately, my last 120 hours are less than this, and my cGPA is 3.13, while my sGPA is 3.35. In the last 2 years, I've taken approximately 70 hours, pre-reqs and upper division biology/chemistry, and have had over a 3.8 cGPA, and probably over a 3.9 sGPA. Prior to this, all of my coursework is over 10 years old. Would the minimums stated on the website still disclude a non-traditional student such as myself?

Thank you for your time.

@MU COM
In looking through the matriculant requirements on the Marian website, I've found myself a little confused. It appears that the absolute minimum is a 3.1 (cGPA and sGPA) in the last 120 hours. Unfortunately, my last 120 hours are less than this, and my cGPA is 3.13, while my sGPA is 3.35. In the last 2 years, I've taken approximately 70 hours, pre-reqs and upper division biology/chemistry, and have had over a 3.8 cGPA, and probably over a 3.9 sGPA. Prior to this, all of my coursework is over 10 years old. Would the minimums stated on the website still disclude a non-traditional student such as myself?

Thank you for your time.

The question is kind of vague. Keep you from a supplemental invitation, interview invitation, and/or admission. Could be different answers. For this reason, we generally do not comment on the competitiveness of an applicant without seeing an application. Nonetheless, the upward trend in the GPAs is very encouraging. Hope this helps.

Admissions

The question is kind of vague. Keep you from a supplemental invitation, interview invitation, and/or admission. Could be different answers. For this reason, we generally do not comment on the competitiveness of an applicant without seeing an application. Nonetheless, the upward trend in the GPAs is very encouraging. Hope this helps.

Admissions
My intent was to find out if there was an absolute rule for minimums on entry into the school, but I think you've answered my question.

Thank you for the response, and this will help me in making my decision.

For-rizzle. Hoping to hear something before the open house on July 25. Btw, is anyone else going?

I wish I could go. I scheduled myself to visit another campus and made reservations 2 months ago to do so. Maybe I can tour this school on a solo tour. I would be interested to hear what you think of it; I've got a friend attending there right now.

Wishing you luck in your application cycle!

I wish I could go. I scheduled myself to visit another campus and made reservations 2 months ago to do so. Maybe I can tour this school on a solo tour. I would be interested to hear what you think of it; I've got a friend attending there right now.

Wishing you luck in your application cycle!
What does your friend think of the school?

She really likes it. I know that she turned down offers from other, older schools to go to Marian.
Did the same thing, turned down older, more established and well-known schools for MUCOM. Haven't started yet so I can't say if I like/dislike it yet, but I can say that since choosing MUCOM I haven't regretted the decision at all

(Social justice + human rights) x art = Blood, Sweat & Berries

Want to see what I'm up to in school? Check out my med school blog www.tumblr.com/blog/ramblingsofanairforcemedstudent

Some things came up and I'm not gonna make it to the open house

Slightly behind, but secondary submitted.
Same, sent my secondary and letters in on 7/18. Wondering when the letters (sent electronically) will be updated on my file. I am definitely hoping to get a shot at interviewing here, seems like a really solid program.

Any idea @MU COM how often you guys download Letters of rec from Interfolio once they are sent to you? Or do you just process them as they come? Does it take a week or two to get the letters into the system?

Same, sent my secondary and letters in on 7/18. Wondering when the letters (sent electronically) will be updated on my file. I am definitely hoping to get a shot at interviewing here, seems like a really solid program.

Any idea @MU COM how often you guys download Letters of rec from Interfolio once they are sent to you? Or do you just process them as they come? Does it take a week or two to get the letters into the system?
Just FYI it took me a week to get "complete" from the date of submission

Please read the LOR Guidelines document which was included with your supplemental application invitation. It explains all the steps and associated time intervals.

Thanks,
Admissions

Please read the LOR Guidelines document which was included with your supplemental application invitation. It explains all the steps and associated time intervals.

Thanks,
Admissions
I just got an email this afternoon saying that they received my letters. Are you surrrre you didnt have a helping hand in this @MU COM tehehe?

fa3e19ffd513583d5f7ae60382262d9a0505d72589cd2374af2b2a7de75e057d.jpg

On the secondary, for the question "Do you have experience shadowing or working with a physician (DO or MD)?" I clicked yes and it says " If so, describe the experience (name & location of hospital/clinic, name & specialty of physician, and amount of time spent shadowing)." Is that all they want? No other description ? Like what I did ?

On the secondary, for the question "Do you have experience shadowing or working with a physician (DO or MD)?" I clicked yes and it says " If so, describe the experience (name & location of hospital/clinic, name & specialty of physician, and amount of time spent shadowing)." Is that all they want? No other description ? Like what I did ?
If you are still under the character limit after giving background info about your shadowing experience, then I'd describe what you did in more detail.

Are there any concrete plans for OMSII students to act as facilitators for pre-exam review sessions and/or as tuturs?

Also, do professors host post-exam review sessions? Most schools don't seem to release exams anymore. Since medicine is cumulative it seems extremely important to learn from past mistakes (for future class exams, boards, and patients). What do mucom professors do for a post-exam review?

(For example, this is what DMU does:
Exam Review: Exam reviews will be scheduled within 48 hours following the posting of grades.

Students will have an opportunity to review the exam questions during a scheduled exam review session for the entire class. Copies of the exam will be available to the students at this time. Students are asked to bring a printed copy of their ITS grade report indicating their missed questions, to the exam review. The students will not be allowed to bring their computers, books or any other electronic equipment including cell phones to the review session. Students must adhere to professional conduct and follow this policy during the entire time of the exam review session. Failure to do so will result in the cancellation of the exam review session.)

Our website will be relaunched before the open house on July 25th with new info including the curriculum.

MU-COM

The new website is in the final stage of edits. It will be rolled out mid to late next week.

MU-COM

3.88 cGPA, 3.97 sGPA, 24 (6P, 10V, 8B) 500+ hrs clinical experience, 500+ volunteers, 150+ hrs shadowing, good LOR's, WI resident with no real connection to IN. I really like the program and just wondered if I had a shot. Thoughts?

Thrilled that Indiana finally has a DO school, and that I am finally ready to apply! MCAT scores finally posted to AACOMAS, so I'm hoping to hear something this week since my letters have been in for a few days now. Best of luck to everybody - my friends at MU-COM have pretty great things to say about the program, and Indianapolis is a pretty neat city.

Are there any concrete plans for OMSII students to act as facilitators for pre-exam review sessions and/or as tuturs?

Also, do professors host post-exam review sessions? Most schools don't seem to release exams anymore. Since medicine is cumulative it seems extremely important to learn from past mistakes (for future class exams, boards, and patients). What do mucom professors do for a post-exam review?

At this time, faculty are reviewing our post-exam processes.

A peer mentoring program will be offered to provide transition assistance for OMS1 students; more details will be available during orientation. Finally, tutoring is available for OMS1 students who are struggling.

MU-COM

Hello @MU COM , how long does it take for LoRs to get processed and acknowledged on the portal? Mine were sent out via VE last Tuesday.

Hello @MU COM , how long does it take for LoRs to get processed and acknowledged on the portal? Mine were sent out via VE last Tuesday.

Thanks for the question. Please see the earlier post, which answers your question. Alternatively, read the LOR Guidelines PDF sent with your supplemental invitation, if previously invited.

Admissions

Anyone have any ideas on how the new course requirements (biochem, sociology, psych) will impact the number of applicants?

Anyone have any ideas on how the new course requirements (biochem, sociology, psych) will impact the number of applicants?
Slightly if any at all. But the number of applicants are increasing each year regardless. Many people tend to take these classes as part of their "gen-ed" curriculum. PLus they have to be completed before matriculation so if they get accepted they can take the courses.

Thanks for the question. Applications for MU-COM's entering fall 2015 class are up over 2014 and 2013.

As stated previously, prerequisites are reviewed on a case-by-case basis for admitted students only.

Admissions

Secondary came in last night around 6, and now MU-COM admissions working at 8 o'clock Indy time... Impressive!!
Thanks for the question. Applications for MU-COM's entering fall 2015 class are up over 2014 and 2013.

As stated previously, prerequisites are reviewed on a case-by-case basis for admitted students only.

Admissions

Admissions

How long would you say does it take to process an application for a decision to interview?