Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How many interviews have been offered in the first wave?

Sorry, we do not comment on the current cycle while it is ongoing. In about 2 weeks, we will release the Class of 2018 profile, which is our only update until the Class of 2019 profile is released.

MU-COM

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, we do not comment on the current cycle while it is ongoing. In about 2 weeks, we will release the Class of 2018 profile, which is our only update until the Class of 2019 profile is released.

MU-COM

Understood, thank you!

What are some people putting under the last section of the secondary, asking for additional information(750 char)? I'm finding it hard to cut things down with MU-COM's secondaries short character limits. Do you think it would be okay to use bullet points for this section, or if this section would be a good spot to provide explanation for a poor semester? Just wondering what types of things people are including!

What are some people putting under the last section of the secondary, asking for additional information(750 char)? I'm finding it hard to cut things down with MU-COM's secondaries short character limits. Do you think it would be okay to use bullet points for this section, or if this section would be a good spot to provide explanation for a poor semester? Just wondering what types of things people are including!
I used this section to provide a brief explanation of the trend of low grades I had in my junior year. And followed-up saying what I learned, how I'm a better student now, etc. etc. If you only had one noticeable semester of poor grades, I don't think it's necessary to draw attention to that. Maybe anything else you've been doing since you submitted your app? Or plans for the future and how it will boost your application?

Bullet points are acceptable. The question is open ended so you can share anything with the committee that you would like from academic deficiencies to significant accomplishments or unique qualifications. Discussing deficiencies is wise--otherwise, we will make our own conclusions.

MU-COM

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone knows whether CLEP test for sociology would fulfill the sociology requirement.. I recently applied and haven't taken sociology in my undergrad. (Already graduated) ..

Thank you!

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone knows whether CLEP test for sociology would fulfill the sociology requirement.. I recently applied and haven't taken sociology in my undergrad. (Already graduated) ..

Thank you!
In my experience, CLEP credits only fulfill prerequisites if they are shown on an official transcript. If you're not in school, they wouldn't be applied to any transcript.

In my experience, CLEP credits only fulfill prerequisites if they are shown on an official transcript. If you're not in school, they wouldn't be applied to any transcript.

I'm going to attend CC this fall to retake some of courses. If I take CLEP for sociology during the fall, would that be on an transcript?

Hello,

Thank you!

Currently, MU-COM does not have a policy on CLEP classes.

If we add one, it will likely follow the AP policy, which is below:
The Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine accepts advanced placement credit as long as such credit appears on the undergraduate transcript and indicates either specific subject credit (e.g. Organic General Chemistry - 4 units) or specific course credit (e.g. Chemistry 101 - 4 units). General advanced placement credit without such specifications is not accepted.

Admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
Received my complete email today! Hoping for some good news in 2-3 weeks!

I am trying to call the school regarding something about my application but the number 317-955-600 and 317-955-6297(provided in the 2nd email), will not connect. When I call, I just hear a long tone, and the call never goes through? Anyone else know a different number I could try?

I am trying to call the school regarding something about my application but the number 317-955-600 and 317-955-6297(provided in the 2nd email), will not connect. When I call, I just hear a long tone, and the call never goes through? Anyone else know a different number I could try?

Call Marian University general number and have them transfer the call.

Call Marian University general number and have them transfer the call.
317-955-6000 was the number provided on the MarianU's homepage, I tried to look for a 1-800 number but couldn't find one.

Thanks for your reply!

317-955-6000 is the campus operator.
317-955-6297 is the COM admissions office.

We just tested the COM admissions number; it is working. Once you hear the staff member's name, you have to hit the # sign to connect directly.

Admissions

Last edited:
317-955-6000 is the campus operator.
317-955-6297 is the COM admissions office.

We just tested the COM admissions number; it is working.

Admissions
Thanks for the feedback, I will try with another phone!

From the complete email:

"This review typically takes between two—three weeks; however, processing can take longer at certain times of the year. As a reminder, you can check the status of your application 24 hours a day at our unique admissions portal at apply-mu-com.marian.edu/."

@MU COM are you able to say if it will be around 3 weeks at this time of the year? Or could it be upwards of 4-5 weeks?

From the complete email:

"This review typically takes between two—three weeks; however, processing can take longer at certain times of the year. As a reminder, you can check the status of your application 24 hours a day at our unique admissions portal at apply-mu-com.marian.edu/."

@MU COM are you able to say if it will be around 3 weeks at this time of the year? Or could it be upwards of 4-5 weeks?

We are at about 3 weeks now.

Admissions

Hi MUCOM,

If we heard no decision last week and were complete with the first batch of applicants, would we hear back this week?

This question was answered on page 5.

MU-COM

Yes. The first batch of interview decisions (invitations, holds, and rejections) will start this afternoon.

Admissions

Hi, I had my secondary completed but did not submit it because I was low on money due to the $100 fee required. However, I got an email and a phone call regarding my secondary. Does this show any sign of interest or is this generally done for all applicants.

All interview decisions for today have been sent by email. Decisions include:

- Invite
- Reject
- Defer for Grades
- Defer for MCAT
- Hold for Further Review
- Retake MCAT

The next round of decisions will be in 1-2 weeks.

Admissions

Will we hear anything back today? What about those on-hold?

Hi, I had my secondary completed but did not submit it because I was low on money due to the $100 fee required. However, I got an email and a phone call regarding my secondary. Does this show any sign of interest or is this generally done for all applicants.

Sorry, but we do not call applicants asking them to submit the supplemental. Periodic reminder emails, though, are sent to applicants in various statuses. For example, a "submit your supplemental application" email reminder was sent today.

MU-COM

Last edited:
Will we hear anything back today? What about those on-hold?

A new batch of interview decisions will be released today. Holds will not be reviewed for another few weeks.

Admissions

Strange i did get a call from Indiana but it didn't leave a message. Thank you!

Rejected! Best of luck to the rest of you.

Interview decisions done for this week. More next Friday.

Admissions

My file is finally marked complete in the portal! Now, the waiting game.

Complete here as well. This school has quickly moved up my list, so hoping for some positive news in a few weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
Decisions this friday? Can you say up until which date apps have been considered for decision?

@MU COM

Currently screening applications with a complete email date between 7/22 and 7/29. Remember, some screeners work faster than others.

Admissions

Helpful Tips about Recommendations:

- Review the attached guidelines, which explain clearly the process and timeline.
- Check your application status in the portal before calling our office.
- Read all of your emails from Admissions; a copy of every email is also saved in the portal.

Thanks,
MU-COM

Attachments

• LOR Guidelines 2014_2015.pdf
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 79
Currently screening applications with a complete email date between 7/22 and 7/29. Remember, some screeners work faster than others.

Admissions

Amazing student support. Complete 8/10, so at least now I can relax for a few weeks knowing my turn for review will not be this week.

Every bit of reduction to anxiety helps :)

Is there anywhere in the portal that states whether you are receiving an interview invite or not?

Is there anywhere in the portal that states whether you are receiving an interview invite or not?

You will receive an interview invitation by email and an "interview" tab will appear in the portal.

Admissions

Put on hold :( Good luck to all IIs!

All files complete before 8/5 have received an interview decision.

Admissions

All files complete before 8/5 have received an interview decision.

Admissions

For those on hold from the first decision, will we hear back next week?

For those on hold from the first decision, will we hear back next week?

Possibly. This week (Tuesday) starts our bi-weekly review of files placed on hold or deferred for grades/MCAT. There is no set number or date range that we review but we try to get through as many files as we can.

Admissions

Possibly. This week (Tuesday) starts our bi-weekly review of files placed on hold or deferred for grades/MCAT. There is no set number or date range that we review but we try to get through as many files as we can.

Admissions
So for those put on hold can we expect to hear something on a day other than Friday?