Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So for those put on hold can we expect to hear something on a day other than Friday?

If your file is on hold and it is reviewed this week, decisions are released after the meeting on Tuesday.

MU-COM

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@MU COM

My application for all intents and purposes was complete by July 23, when my letters were sent in. However, due to a glitch on the MU-COM system, my application was not marked complete until this week, an error thankfully quickly recognized and fixed by MU-COM admissions.

Based on this, will my application be screened along with other August applicants, or is there a possibility that it could be with an earlier batch due to the nature of my application.

thank you for your help

Members don't see this ad :)
@MU COM

My application for all intents and purposes was complete by July 23, when my letters were sent in. However, due to a glitch on the MU-COM system, my application was not marked complete until this week, an error thankfully quickly recognized and fixed by MU-COM admissions.

Based on this, will my application be screened along with other August applicants, or is there a possibility that it could be with an earlier batch due to the nature of my application.

thank you for your help

We apologize for the technology glitch, but your application will be reviewed with others that were complete this week. From the date of your complete email, you can expect a reply from us in about 3 weeks (+/-).

Thanks for the post,
Admissions

P.S. Don't forget about the "check status" tab in the portal. It is available 24 hours a day.

From what point of view? Not sure what you're asking.

Admissions

More seats being full etc? Or if you are meant to be accepted, an October interview vs November interview may not be a big determinant?

I believe my app will be apart of next weeks interview decisions, and MU is one of my top choices.

More seats being full etc? Or if you are meant to be accepted, an October interview vs November interview may not be a big determinant?

I believe my app will be apart of next weeks interview decisions, and MU is one of my top choices.

MU-COM does not interview for the alternate list. In other words, as long as we are interviewing, there are seats in our class of 162. Competition naturally increases, though, throughout the year.

Admissions

MU-COM does not interview for the alternate list. In other words, as long as we are interviewing, there are seats in our class of 162. Competition naturally increases, though, throughout the year.

Admissions

How many interview dates has MU-com had in August and will have in September?

How many people per colour group/interview day?

Admissions
I am sorry for give my ignorance. So you are saying you fill the alternate list just from regular interviewing or that there is no alternate list?

How many interview dates has MU-com had in August and will have in September?

How many people per colour group/interview day?

Interviews start in September. We generally interview 28/day. You are encouraged to pick the interview time that works best for you.

Admissions

Last edited:
Interviews start in September. We generally interview 28/day. Beyond that, you need to pick the best time for you knowing what you know.

Admissions
Thank you! How many interview are there in September? (My last question)

Members don't see this ad :)
@MU COM If I'm complete as of tomorrow or Tuesday, I would hear back within 2-3 weeks, is that correct? Thanks

@MU COM If I'm complete as of tomorrow or Tuesday, I would hear back within 2-3 weeks, is that correct? Thanks

Your complete email will detail the timeline. Alternatively, you can read the answer to this question earlier in the thread.

MU-COM

Your complete email will detail the timeline. Alternatively, you can read the answer to this question earlier in the thread.

MU-COM

MUCOM,

Does the Admissions Committee take into account different level of courses for each applicant/ assume that a higher course is more rigorous? For example, a 400 level biology vs a 200 level micro course, the 400 level is more rigorous (even though this is not always necessarily the case).

MUCOM,

Does the Admissions Committee take into account different level of courses for each applicant/ assume that a higher course is more rigorous? For example, a 400 level biology vs a 200 level micro course, the 400 level is more rigorous (even though this is not always necessarily the case).

Yes.

Admissions

Yes.

Admissions

I understand that this might be an abstract question and difficult to answer without seeing the whole transcript to just give a Yay or Nay on, but would it be better for an applicant to receive an A in the 200 level science course vs a B in a 400 science level course? For example, a 400 level Genetics course vs a 200 level one.

Furthermore, what if lower level courses are all that are offered at the University, such as Anatomy only being a 100 level class?

I understand that this might be an abstract question and difficult to answer without seeing the whole transcript to just give a Yay or Nay on, but would it be better for an applicant to receive an A in the 200 level science course vs a B in a 400 science level course? For example, a 400 level Genetics course vs a 200 level one.

Furthermore, what if lower level courses are all that are offered at the University, such as Anatomy only being a 100 level class?

This question can't be answered separate from the transcript or application. You'll need to submit your application for feedback.

Sorry,
MU-COM

Hi @MU COM I will be interviewing on Nov. 8th, will there be a portion of time during the information session for international applicants? Or would it be more appropriate to save international student specific questions for email?

Hi @MU COM I will be interviewing on Nov. 8th, will there be a portion of time during the information session for international applicants? Or would it be more appropriate to save international student specific questions for email?

Life as an international student is not covered specifically during the interview day, but feel free to ask your questions before, during, or after--in the group or 1:1.

Admissions

Life as an international student is not covered specifically during the interview day, but feel free to ask your questions before, during, or after--in the group or 1:1.

Admissions

Thank you @MU COM ; glad to see there is still the opportunity to ask throughout. Thanks!

Please see the attached profile for the DO Class of 2018.

MU-COM

Attachments

• Profile DO Class of 2018.pdf
    420.4 KB · Views: 265
Just got offered an interview and scheduled for October 4rd. I applied early and was put on hold for the first round.

Good luck to all the applicants and thanks to MU-COM for being punctual and informative.

Reactions: 1 users
Also placed on hold in the first round of reviews, I just received an II. I'm delighted to be among their first interviewees for this cycle, on 9/12.

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations to you both. I'm complete for about a week now, and hoping to hear something back in 2-3 weeks. I'll take a HOLD for sure.

Reactions: 1 users
II!!! MY FIRST! Just checked my email on break from work. Woooohooooo!

Reactions: 3 users
II! I was put on hold 8/8 so keep your heads up guys!

Reactions: 2 users
II! I was put on hold 8/8 so keep your heads up guys!

II!!! MY FIRST! Just checked my email on break from work. Woooohooooo!

Shinobiz11 and sjingle, it looks like your positive thinking paid off-- CONGRATS!!!! I am so happy to hear that others are also receiving their first IIs off of the pre-interview hold list! MU-COM is an incredible school.

I've heard wonderful things about MU-COM's interview process, but I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't intimidated by the MMI format. With that said, it seems like it will be a great learning experience, so I'm really looking forward to learning more about it/preparing for it.

Congrats again and I wish you the best of luck with your IIs... And of course, best of luck to all other applicants as well! :)

Can I ask how many of you guys getting invites are from Indiana or the midwest?

I am technically a Wisconsin resident as of the time applying.
Gotcha. I have a feeling there will be a lot from Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, maybe Kentucky. I'm from Texas, but my wife has strong ties to the state and Indy.

Gotcha. I have a feeling there will be a lot from Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, maybe Kentucky. I'm from Texas, but my wife has strong ties to the state and Indy.
In general though I think it is more of a self-selection bias rather than them specifically looking for Indy people. I mean maybe they are, but I have yet to see information saying either way. I just bet there are more people from the area applying than there are out of the area, simply because they want to stay close to home and stuff. Most schools have a higher percentage within their specific region. I definitely dont think being from Texas would even remotely knock you out of the running for an acceptance if your app is good and your interview is solid.

In general though I think it is more of a self-selection bias rather than them specifically looking for Indy people. I mean maybe they are, but I have yet to see information saying either way. I just bet there are more people from the area applying than there are out of the area, simply because they want to stay close to home and stuff. Most schools have a higher percentage within their specific region. I definitely dont think being from Texas would even remotely knock you out of the running for an acceptance if your app is good and your interview is solid.
I'm hoping not, and it looks like a significant percentage are from out of the state, with representation from many other states.
My GPAs are below their averages, but my MCAT is significantly higher, and I've got a huge upswing on recent coursework. We'll see. I've got some really good reasons for wanting to attend a school in Indianapolis, and I feel I articulated these well in my secondary.

MU-COM seeks to address Indiana's physician shortage and strives for 50% Indiana residents in each class. They told us this during last cycle's interviews.

MU-COM seeks to address Indiana's physician shortage and strives for 50% Indiana residents in each class. They told us this during last cycle's interviews.
Well there you go then, straight from the horse's mouth.

Either way, whether they are purposefully trying to obtain 50% in-state or not, thats about how most schools are.

Once you start getting to the 70-90% in-state range like OUCOM, OSU, or TCOM, THEN I would be worried about your chances. For those schools it is only people with stellar scores and/or ties to the state that get in.

Well there you go then, straight from the horse's mouth.

Either way, whether they are purposefully trying to obtain 50% in-state or not, thats about how most schools are.

Once you start getting to the 70-90% in-state range like OUCOM, OSU, or TCOM, THEN I would be worried about your chances. For those schools it is only people with stellar scores and/or ties to the state that get in.
I stayed away from those schools. In the end, I also decided not to apply to schools that had a preference for a region I wasn't honestly interested in for potential practice. Glad I did too, secondaries and interviews would have been squirmy at best.

I would be interested in seeing how many people from the surrounding states actually apply. Like how many people from Indiana are applying vs Ohio vs Michigan, etc.

I stayed away from those schools. In the end, I also decided not to apply to schools that had a preference for a region I wasn't honestly interested in for potential practice. Glad I did too, secondaries and interviews would have been squirmy at best.
Hopefully you applied to TCOM though, since you live in Texas? I hear Texas is good to its own people... Texas, the greatest country in these here United States heh....

Hopefully you applied to TCOM though, since you live in Texas? I hear Texas is good to its own people... Texas, the greatest country in these here United States heh....
I do love Texas, but without grade replacement I'm less than an underdawg here...

I would be interested in seeing how many people from the surrounding states actually apply. Like how many people from Indiana are applying vs Ohio vs Michigan, etc.

I'm from Michigan. I mentioned in my secondary that Indiana is not too far from my family/home, so I would be fine practicing there.

The 2018 Class Profile (posted earlier in this thread) indicates that 54% of students are from Indiana, 39% are from 17 other states, and 7% are from foreign countries. While it's clear that Indiana residents are the majority, I can't speak on behalf of admissions as to why this is the case.

Personally, I've never lived anywhere near Indiana or the midwest. However, I applied to MU-COM anyway because not only do I love what I've read about the school (currently, it is my top choice), but I'm familiar with the area and would strongly consider practicing medicine in Indiana if the opportunity presented itself. In my secondaries, I was genuine in discussing my reasons for wanting to practice medicine in Indiana, but I didn't make any grand promises, either (a lot can change between now and residency). Basically, I was honest.

I don't know if my genuine love for the midwest helped me get an II, but it certainly didn't hurt. The only thing that I do know (and it's been mentioned on this thread before), is that it's difficult to write a compelling secondary if your heart is truly not into attending that particular school. Good luck everybody.

Last edited:
Anyone know what percentage of interviewees get accepted??