Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Character limit varies I think between 1300- 1500. Maybe someone else can clarify?

Do you have experience shadowing or working with a physician (DO or MD)?

Indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your AACOMAS application. (Including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or convictions.)

Why are you interested in practicing in Indiana?

In which area of medicine are you most interested in practicing and why?

Describe your motivation for attending MU-COM. Please be specific.

Please share any other relevant information that you would like the MU-COM Admissions Committee to know about you.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an II!!! Super excited!! From what I have seen, this school looks legit as far as rotations/affiliations!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got back from this interview!

To give my honest opinion, I thought this school lacked a sense of community that the other schools I interviewed at had. The admissions person who was with us all day didn't crack a single smile the entire day, it was like he was trying to intimidate us, more than welcome us and get us interested in the school. All he talked about were "facts". That is GREAT that you have top-notch, award-winning faculty. I can find that on a pamphlet. But tell me an example of when faculty have helped students, tell me something specific that the faculty do for students that is going to make me smile. Let me meet these faculty. I got all student interviewers and had no sense of how the faculty there are.

The tour guides during our tour said something about a room then walked 10 feet in front of us instead of talking to us, and the tour was disorganized. I don't really want to walk in a dark hallway seeing empty offices for more than half of the tour. The OMM and anatomy room are in the basement. Anatomy room, I get it, keep it in the basement, it smells, most anatomy rooms are in the basement. But the OMM room was in the basement, zero windows. All the other schools I've interviewed with had OMM rooms with windows all around the room. I know it is a little thing, but I don't want to spend hours in a basement when I can be in a cheerful, natural-lit room.

The students we had Q/A with didn't really seem that enthusiastic about their school (unlike other schools who had students who went on and on about how they LOVED their school). They kind of just answered questions and didn't really know much about some rather basic questions we asked. I asked the Q/A students simple things like research, which was supposed to be a strong point of this school, and they were very wishy-washy about it and didn't really say much about it at all. Every student we asked on whether they liked going to this school/made the right decision didn't really sell it to me that they really really liked their school. I just didn't feel very welcomed, the presentation was very dry and the sense of community was non-existent to me. I just felt a sense of disappointment when I left after the fact that MUCOM was one of my top choice schools at the very beginning of the cycle.

The MMI was fun! Nothing to stress out about. They said they would send acceptances out in 1-3 weeks after interviewing.

However, I am sure a lot of people loved this place. There were things that were good about the school, the facilities were very nice, location was in a convenient place in regards to the city, airport, etc. Just my opinion of course, thought I'd share!

To those who interviewed this past weekend, we are very sorry that you did not have a good experience. It is clear we were not on our A game, which is very discouraging because we constantly hear from interviewees that our interview day is one of the best around. We will follow-up with our presenters and student ambassadors.

Thank you,
Admissions

Reactions: 1 user
How quickly have those who have been accepted notified? I ask because this is one of my top schools! I have fortunately been accepted elsewhere, but that deposit is due on Dec. 14th.
If I can avoid putting down two deposits, that would be nice, but when all is said and done, what's a few thousand dollars in the end... :shrug:

How quickly have those who have been accepted notified? I ask because this is one of my top schools! I have fortunately been accepted elsewhere, but that deposit is due on Dec. 14th.
If I can avoid putting down two deposits, that would be nice, but when all is said and done, what's a few thousand dollars in the end... :shrug:
we were told we would hear back within 1-3 weeks. Some heard back on Monday of the 2nd week, many others (including me) heard back during the 3rd week

Hahaha dangit. Well, If I love the school (like I think I will) it looks like I will be dropping bonezzzzz:greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy:

To give my honest opinion, I thought this school lacked a sense of community that the other schools I interviewed at had. The admissions person who was with us all day didn't crack a single smile the entire day, it was like he was trying to intimidate us, more than welcome us and get us interested in the school. All he talked about were "facts". That is GREAT that you have top-notch, award-winning faculty. I can find that on a pamphlet. But tell me an example of when faculty have helped students, tell me something specific that the faculty do for students that is going to make me smile. Let me meet these faculty. I got all student interviewers and had no sense of how the faculty there are.

I had a great time other wise but I would have to agree with the non-smiling thing. It made me miserable and nervous seeing such a grumpy face first thing in the morning at the interview. He didn't crack a single smile all day until the very end when I said good bye to him LOL. But the rest of the day went well for me (and I have been accepted! :D) so I am a happy bunny!

EDIT: I interviewed very early on in the cycle, not recently!

MU-COM generally takes between 1 to 3 weeks to make a final decision. Because we follow AACOMAS traffic guidelines, here is when deposits are due:
  • Those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14.
  • Those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days.
More info on page 23 at https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/2016_aacomas-instructions.pdf?sfvrsn=6.

Admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Marian send complete emails after submitting secondary?

Complete emails are sent when the supplemental questions have been answered, fee paid, certification made, and LORs approved. Hope this helps.

Admissions

Complete emails are sent when the supplemental questions have been answered, fee paid, certification made, and LORs approved. Hope this helps.

Admissions
In the email after submitting secondary it says I still have a hold for letters, even though they have been uploaded in AACOMAS. But, on the portal everything has a green check mark on my application but no complete email.

Last edited:
In the email after submitting secondary it says I still have a hold for letters, even though they have been uploaded in AACOMAS. But, on the portal everything has a green check mark on my application but no complete email.

I'd suggest giving them a call on monday. They are very responsive and quick.

The students we had Q/A with didn't really seem that enthusiastic about their school (unlike other schools who had students who went on and on about how they LOVED their school). They kind of just answered questions and didn't really know much about some rather basic questions we asked. I asked the Q/A students simple things like research, which was supposed to be a strong point of this school, and they were very wishy-washy about it and didn't really say much about it at all. Every student we asked on whether they liked going to this school/made the right decision didn't really sell it to me that they really really liked their school. I just didn't feel very welcomed, the presentation was very dry and the sense of community was non-existent to me. I just felt a sense of disappointment when I left after the fact that MUCOM was one of my top choice schools at the very beginning of the cycle.

However, I am sure a lot of people loved this place. There were things that were good about the school, the facilities were very nice, location was in a convenient place in regards to the city, airport, etc. Just my opinion of course, thought I'd share!

I really have to agree with this. However, I attended a presentation by the director (Bryan Moody) when he visited my school just a few days after my interview, and I got a totally different feel for the school. He cracked jokes that had me laughing out loud (about how the MMI system is somewhat Pavlovian, with the bells and knocks to signal transitions; security jokes about how the chairs in our lecture hall were chained to the ground) and I really do think Marian had an off-day at our interview. I'm looking forward to their Accepted Students Day because I'm REALLY excited about being accepted and would love to go here.

Well, as of 10/08 I have been deemed 'highly admissible' and have been accepted to MU-COM's class of 2020!!! :) Soo excited and thankful!!!

Well, as of 10/08 I have been deemed 'highly admissible' and have been accepted to MU-COM's class of 2020!!! :) Soo excited and thankful!!!

Congrats! That is very exciting!

Still no answer yet. I was complete on August 25th...

Still no answer yet. I was complete on August 25th...

Any updates on your portal about approved LORs? I know that process is taking a little longer this year.

Nope, everything is good. I was told two weeks ago that I should be hearing back in a few days, but nothing. I've left messages and emails, but no response.

No, I don't honestly. I felt like the interview went really well. Of course, I could definitely be wrong, but I have a suspicion that it had more to do with a low section score on my MCAT. I was accepted at another school, and I felt like the interview at Marian went much better than the one there. Who knows?!

Rejected post-interview. It was my best interview of several and I got accepted to every other school, including one that is highly regarded and has been around for more than 20 years. Thus, I think the post-interview review process is what killed my application. Now it's possible that I came across poorly in the interview but I'm fairly introspective and feel at a complete loss as to how my interview performance could have affected my chances. I felt a good rapport with each of the interviewers, smiled often, etc and truly enjoyed my time at Marian. It stings to be rejected at a school you really like but I tell myself I can always try to get a residency spot in Indy and potentially work with Marian grads in the future. I never would have seen Indy if it weren't for this interview. So I'm thankful I had the chance to look around.

What I'm wondering is if I should ask for feedback. I won't be interviewing for medical school ever again due to being accepted elsewhere but I'm still curious about what specifically sunk my app at Marian. If it was a poor interview performance then perhaps the feedback would help me for residency interviews. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should pester the admissions staff for answers? :D

Last edited:
Rejected post-interview. It was my best interview of several and I got accepted to every other school, including one that is highly regarded and has been around for more than 20 years. Thus, I think the post-interview review process is what killed my application. Now it's possible that I came across poorly in the interview but I'm fairly introspective and feel at a complete loss as to how my interview performance could have affected my chances. I felt a good rapport with each of the interviewers, smiled often, etc and truly enjoyed my time at Marian. It stings to be rejected at a school you really like but I tell myself I can always try to get a residency spot in Indy and potentially work with Marian grads in the future. I never would have seen Indy if it weren't for this interview. So I'm thankful I had the chance to look around.

What I'm wondering is if I should ask for feedback. I won't be interviewing for medical school ever again due to being accepted elsewhere but I'm still curious about what specifically sunk my app at Marian. If it was a poor interview performance then perhaps the feedback would help me for residency interviews. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should pester the admissions staff for answers? :D

I think you should definitely ask! I was rejected by a school post interview and I asked their admissions office what I did wrong! They were super nice and informative, and it was helpful to know what exactly the problem was :) It was also really bugging me because a couple of other schools accepted me post interview so I wanted to know what exactly happened with that other school.

I'm sorry this school didn't work out for you, but I always think there is a larger plan for everything and at the end of the day, you're going to be a doctor!

I have an II for Nov. 6, but I'm not sure if I will attend. The past reviews seem to have been pretty negative. Is there anyone who absolutely loved the school during their interview? Anyone, perhaps an MS1, who chose this school over others they interviewed at? I want to be sure it's worth it before I fork out the cash to head to Indy.

Just cancelled my interview for nov 7!
Hoping it goes to one of you guys! From my research, MUCOM is going to be a great school if you guys get in.

Alternate list. Stings, first interview of this cycle. I thought I had it, great school too! Look forward to hearing from them soon hopefully.

got the interview! Do you guys know how much they emphasized osteopathic medicine during the interview day? I feel like I would have a hard time answering the why DO and not MD Q(s).

got the interview! Do you guys know how much they emphasized osteopathic medicine during the interview day? I feel like I would have a hard time answering the why DO and not MD Q(s).

Hi, congrats! When were you complete if you don't mind me asking?

Can anyone tell me whether the traditional interview is open or closed file? Also, is this interview with a faculty member, student, etc? Thanks!

It is closed file, and mine was with a community physician (not faculty), but I think it is different for everyone.

So, by closed, do you mean totally blind, or did they just not know you gpa/mcat?

Last edited:
Hello MU-COM,

For those that are on the alternative list, when can we send in an update/letter of intent?

Can current students comment on dress code here? I can't seem to find anything on it. Also, do they provide you with a laptop?

Yeah, it definitely couldn't hurt!! The school philosophy seems to look towards improvement, so I'm sure they'd at least appreciate that you want to improve, even if they don't give you any helpful information.

I have an II for Nov. 6, but I'm not sure if I will attend. The past reviews seem to have been pretty negative. Is there anyone who absolutely loved the school during their interview? Anyone, perhaps an MS1, who chose this school over others they interviewed at? I want to be sure it's worth it before I fork out the cash to head to Indy.

I interviewed and was accepted here, and I didn't love it at first. However, I've done a few interviews since then, and I started loving it more when I was able to compare all the schools. I would say go for it, because they have great facilities and a great attitude, and I think they just had an off-interview weekend in October. I have friends here who really love it, as well.

For current students,

I was wondering if any of you live in the new graduate housing at Marian, do you like it? or if not, where do you live?

Thanks!