Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bleh. So apparently they need my physician LOR to have a handwritten signature. I got an email about it at the beginning of this month, so I rushed over to my doc's office to let her know.

Then she went on vacation lol. She was back yesterday. Gotta talk to her tomorrow about that.
Crucial info..I wonder if my LOR did that. Do you think they'd take a fax copy?

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary Submitted: 9/21

Stats: MCAT 26 (9/6/11)
4.0 cGPA
4.0 sGPA

I have almost the same stats! Got rejected from this school post-interview (Wondering if it was my 6 verbal?) Have you been accepted anywhere? - Losing hope that I'm not going to get in anywhere with that 6.

Hello MU-COM,

For those that are on the alternative list, when can we send in an update/letter of intent?

Yes, you are permitted one update between now and August 2016.

Admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
MU-COM inaugural class COMLEX Level 1 first-time pass rate: 94.81%.
National average: 92.99%

MU-COM

Reactions: 2 users

MU-COM
Excellent results! What is the average score? Any stats in the students who decided to take the USMLE?

Reactions: 1 user

MU-COM

Hello @MU COM My 9/23 MCAT retake score was released the other day and it has just been received by AACOMAS. Do I need to get in touch with the admissions office to let them know? Thank you.

Hey guys, can anyone in love with the school please describe to me why?

Reactions: 1 users
just canceled my interview and withdrew my application. good luck to everyone!!

To those who interviewed, how religious is MUCOM? They're part of a Christian school like LLU and LUCOM but I don't hear many comments about their religousness so I'm curious.

From my understanding, it doesn't look like it plays a major role. I interview on Friday so I will have a better idea then!

Members don't see this ad :)
To those who interviewed, how religious is MUCOM? They're part of a Christian school like LLU and LUCOM but I don't hear many comments about their religousness so I'm curious.

They're not Christian

They're not Christian

I am fairly certain they are in fact Christian...
Check out the very bottom of the page.
Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 5.41.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 5.41.35 PM.png

Just got an interview invite here about 20 minutes ago and hastily chose this Saturday! (I have a history of taking too long to decide and spaces filling up...)

When they say "passport-type photo," do they mean THE photo from your passport or just a photo of you that's the same size and similar in composition to a passport photo? I'm asking because I'm straight-up DEADPAN in my passport photo, and it's really unfriendly looking.

Just got an interview invite here about 20 minutes ago and hastily chose this Saturday! (I have a history of taking too long to decide and spaces filling up...)

When were you complete if you don't mind?

btw, I don't think they're specifically referring to your passport. I don't have one and will definitely be using a regular photo

When were you complete if you don't mind?

btw, I don't think they're specifically referring to your passport. I don't have one and will definitely be using a regular photo

October 23rd. I had to have my physician's letter resent with a physical signature, so I was nervous that the delay would shake things up.

Thanks! I went ahead and uploaded my go-to.

If I've been complete for over 6 weeks without notice of an interview or rejection, should I call them?

sigh, are you either?
I've been one of the two all my life and there is a difference.

Seriously? I am one but Roman Catholic is Christianity. Period.

Protestants are Christians also but just have different tenents. If you want to go to a school that is Franciscan Roman Catholic affiliated, I suggest to be more accepting of others AND their beliefs.

Seriously? I am one but Roman Catholic is Christianity. Period.

Protestants are Christians also but just have different tenents. If you want to go to a school that is Franciscan Roman Catholic affiliated, I suggest to be more accepting of others AND their beliefs.

That's not what I meant. I just felt like you were dismissing the difference (difference in tenants you mentioned) rather quickly.

I apologize if I came off any other way

Last edited:

When they say "passport-type photo," do they mean THE photo from your passport or just a photo of you that's the same size and similar in composition to a passport photo? I'm asking because I'm straight-up DEADPAN in my passport photo, and it's really unfriendly looking.

A professional photo will do. The passport photo is provided simply as an example.

Admissions

If I've been complete for over 6 weeks without notice of an interview or rejection, should I call them?

Our average is around 5 weeks, but some screeners are taking longer due to other workloads -- up to a maximum of 8 weeks.

All files receive a decision.

Admissions

Last edited:
MU-COM has interview openings for this week on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. Friday check-in is from 12-12:30 PM. Saturday is from 7:30-8 AM. The interview day lasts about 4.5-5 hours.

If you have an interview in December or later but want to come earlier, please email Bryan directly at [email protected]. Openings are first-come, first-serve.

Admissions

Last edited:
For those of you who have interviewed or are interviewing this Friday, how did/are you all go about transportation to and from airport/hotel and MU-COM for the interview? I have looked at Uber and cabs but they are pretty expensive. Did/are any of you use the bus system? Thanks for an info!

For those of you who have interviewed or are interviewing this Friday, how did/are you all go about transportation to and from airport/hotel and MU-COM for the interview? I have looked at Uber and cabs but they are pretty expensive. Did/are any of you use the bus system? Thanks for an info!

I am just renting a car for this Friday! It might be a little more expensive but I would rather not rely on someone else to get me to places!

Just cancelled my interview here. No reflection on the school, I just can't spend any more money flying all over the country! Good luck, whoever gets it.

Just cancelled my interview here. No reflection on the school, I just can't spend any more money flying all over the country! Good luck, whoever gets it.
I'm getting to the point of just being plain tired of doing it. The money is not far behind. Almost done though.

I wanted address a question that was asked a while back about interacting with nursing students. Today we had a number of nursing students help us first years with learning how to do vitals. It was nice to see them teach us about the techniques they've learn to help med student get better at taking vitals. I certainly hope that there's more cooperation like this in the future.

I am just renting a car for this Friday! It might be a little more expensive but I would rather not rely on someone else to get me to places!
I'm strongly considering doing this also. I was hoping to save some money but it is probably not worth it in the long run.

I'm strongly considering doing this also. I was hoping to save some money but it is probably not worth it in the long run.

I can also justify it because someone graciously paid for my flight out.

Interview invite yesterday! :)

I can also justify it because someone graciously paid for my flight out.
Sorry, I just realized that my previous comment could have been read the wrong way. I meant that renting a car was the better option and that saving the small amount of money probably wasn't worth the trouble of public transportation. I did decide to rent a car. Thanks for the advice!

Sorry, I just realized that my previous comment could have been read the wrong way. I meant that renting a car was the better option and that saving the small amount of money probably wasn't worth the trouble of public transportation. I did decide to rent a car. Thanks for the advice!

You're totally fine! I didn't take any offense to it at all. Re-reading I see what you meant too. Either way, I am sure I will meet you this Friday so see you then!

Got a pre interview rejection from here today. I'm partially venting, but mostly trying to help others who are contemplating applying.

I have a 504 mcat and a 3.77 gpa (science gpa is higher but I don't remember what it is). Also, I have seven years of healthcare experience working in computed tomography.

However, I also have zero research experience and I think that really put the nail in the coffin for me.

The only thing that bugs me is that I had a 23 and my application was put on hold. I got my new score and sent them an email about but didn't get a reply back. I just hope I wasn't rejected based on my old one.

Oh well. Best of luck to everyone else and congrats to those accepted. Mucom's a pretty competitive school and I hope this post helps someone else contemplating applying gauge their competitiveness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a pre interview rejection from here today. I'm partially venting, but mostly trying to help others who are contemplating applying.

I have a 504 mcat and a 3.77 gpa (science gpa is higher but I don't remember what it is). Also, I have seven years of healthcare experience working in computed tomography.

However, I also have zero research experience and I think that really put the nail in the coffin for me.

The only thing that bugs me is that I had a 23 and my application was put on hold. I got my new score and sent them an email about but didn't get a reply back. I just hope I wasn't rejected based on my old one.

Oh well. Best of luck to everyone else and congrats to those accepted. Mucom's a pretty competitive school and I hope this post helps someone else contemplating applying gauge their competitiveness.

Did you update MCAT through AACOMAS and did you put down that you had a future MCAT date?

I did. I emailed them about my mcat at the end of September and got my rejection today. Surely they wouldn't reject me without looking at my file once more, right?

I did. I emailed them about my mcat at the end of September and got my rejection today. Surely they wouldn't reject me without looking at my file once more, right?

You updated aacomas and stated that you had a future mcat? Man that's tough I'm sorry.
But I think if you emailed them then they should've updated your file. Can't be sure though.

Flying into Indianapolis tonight for an interview tomorrow! This is one of my top choices so wish me luck!!!

There are so many factors in this whole process and the GPA and MCAT are just the single most important two. It could have been your lack of research, it could have been that you didn't seem like the best fit for their mission. I talked to one adcom member who said that sometimes apps get tossed simply because the ones that got reviewed before and after it happened to be exceptionally good making an otherwise competitive app seem poor by contrast. The point is, it could be lots of things out of your control. Don't beat yourself up. Just focus on the other schools that you (hopefully) applied to just in case. Best of luck!

Just canceled my interview for this Saturday... I hope I don't regret it

1. For the shadowing experience question on the secondary, should we write something different than the AACOMAS description? Seems redundant to describe the experience again, but I can see how interviewers may not have your AACOMAS app when interviewing.
Copy and paste or write a new description?

2. Post says 1 update is allowed: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...hread-2015-2016.1134506/page-14#post-17068392
But on the secondary it says, "MU-COM does not accept unsolicited application updates."
Can we send an update or is this reserved only if you're put on the alternate list?

Last edited:
I'm a little at a loss as to what to say for the question "Indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your AACOMAS application. (Including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or convictions.)" on the secondary. Since I submitted to AACOMAS not much has changed for me, but it is a required question. Any tips?