Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was on pre II hold and I interviewed. Still waiting to hear their decision though. There is hope!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else who interviewed 11/6 waiting to hear back with a decision? Really hoping to hear good news within the next 2 days

Anyone else who interviewed 11/6 waiting to hear back with a decision? Really hoping to hear good news within the next 2 days

Right here! Last week, people found out on Thursday so I'm hoping that's the case again.

FYI- I was accepted last week on Thursday around 11:00am. Hope you guys get good news!

Edit: 11:11am to be exact.

Post-II alternate list, which I heard is actually a pretty good place to be?

Congrats to those with acceptances today!

Just got an acceptance email! Interviewed 11/7. Good luck to everyone else!

Rejected :/ today. I felt like I had a really off interview (one on one specifically). Congrats to all of those accepted though!!! MUCOM seemed like an awesome school to be at. On a plus note, I don't have to take a sociology course next semester! hahaha

1. Should I wait to add another MD shadowing experience I am going to have by next Thursday (approx. 18-24 hrs total, surgeon at MGH) or just submit my secondary now since it's getting late?
I most likely won't be retaking MCAT or taking any spring classes so I'm hesitant in just submitting now and using my 1 available update letter to add my shadowing experience.
I suppose if I get a LOR from the doc, I can add that in with my update letter as well.
LizzyM-<63
Thoughts?

2. Also, for the shadowing experience question on the secondary, should we write something different than the AACOMAS description? Seems redundant to describe the experience again, but I can see how interviewers may not have your AACOMAS app when interviewing.
Copy and paste or write a new description?

3. Post says 1 update is allowed: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...hread-2015-2016.1134506/page-14#post-17068392
But on the secondary it says, "MU-COM does not accept unsolicited application updates."
Can we send an update or is this reserved only if you're put on the alternate list?

Hi! The one update pertains to the alternate list. The unsolicited updates applies to all other candidates, which is why we encourage you to send updates to AACOMAS.

Admissions

I'm a little at a loss as to what to say for the question "Indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your AACOMAS application. (Including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or convictions.)" on the secondary. Since I submitted to AACOMAS not much has changed for me, but it is a required question. Any tips?

Just say none.

Admissions

Accepted on 11/12 as well! Can we expect something in the mail or is everything provided on the portal? I just had a few questions with some of the requirements.

Everything is in the portal. Phone calls late November or early December. Finally, we are reviewing all prerequisites now. Psych and soc have to be entered manually because we group them differently than AACOMAS.

Admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected pre-II the other day with solid stats 3.6/29-30. Wasn't complete until late Oct. Anyone know if it is in fact too late and the class is getting full or are they looking for a specific person via their primary app/secondaries? Thanks!

MU-COM does not fill its class until after the last interview weekend, which is currently in April. Please call if you want feedback on your application.

Admissions

To better meet applicants' needs, MU-COM has added new interview dates in December (19th and 21st) and January (15th).

Admissions

I got in!!! To those rejected or waitlisted don't ever lose hope. This was my second app and its turned out much differently, do not lose hope.

Reactions: 1 users
Pre Interview hold.

Canadian applicant.

How likely is one to get an II if they were put on a hold? Anyone been in this situation before?

Last edited:
Rejection email. The area around MUCOM (and most of Indianapolis) is pretty ghetto but I liked the school so Im disappointed.

Last edited:
Rejected :/ today. I felt like I had a really off interview (one on one specifically). Congrats to all of those accepted though!!! MUCOM seemed like an awesome school to be at. On a plus note, I don't have to take a sociology course next semester! hahaha
Best of luck to you man! Hopefully we will meet again down the road!

A very random interview invite from MUCOM today, totally unexpected.
Will be withdrawing however.

Does MU-COM have an official rescinding acceptence policy? I'm paranoid as I'm going to be getting a C in one of my science classes that isn't a prereq but I know I will have As in all my other classes.

Last edited:
I am declining my II here. I hope it goes to someone worthy! Good luck everyone with your interviews and congratulations to those who have been accepted. Indianapolis is a dope city

Does MU-COM have an official rescinding acceptence policy? I'm paranoid as I'm going to be getting a C in one of my science classes that isn't a prereq but I know I will have As in all my other classes.

It is a case-by-case basis. One C should be fine. If you have questions, please contact Bryan.

Admissions

Does anyone know if interview decisions are taking longer than 5 weeks right now?

Does anyone know if interview decisions are taking longer than 5 weeks right now?

Our oldest files are just over 6 weeks. We hope to be back to 5 weeks by early next week. By early December, we will be under 4 weeks.

Admissions

31 mcat, 3.77 gpa here. Need some advice. I must have skipped this school during my research of medical schools. Is it too late to apply to this school?

31 mcat, 3.77 gpa here. Need some advice. I must have skipped this school during my research of medical schools. Is it too late to apply to this school?

Nope I had similar stats with a lower gpa (3.5) and I got in just fine. Send in your app asap if you see yourself going here.

It is not too late. Please see our next post.

Admissions

Dear SDN,

As the holidays approach and semester ends, we get asked "is it too late to apply" a lot. It is not. Here's why:

Our primary application deadline is Feb 1. Our supplemental application deadline is March 1. Our last interview weekend is April 1-2. In other words, MU-COM is unique in that we do not fill our class ASAP, which is intentional. We have seats in our class of 162 available for those who interview in April.

We look forward to seeing your application soon.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Admissions

Reactions: 4 users
Dear SDN,

As the holidays approach and semester ends, we get asked "is it too late to apply" a lot. It is not. Here's why:

Our primary application deadline is Feb 1. Our supplemental application deadline is March 1. Our last interview weekend is April 1-2. In other words, MU-COM is unique in that we do not fill our class ASAP, which is intentional. We have seats in our class of 162 available for those who interview in April.

We look forward to seeing your application soon.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Admissions
Hello MU-COM!

First off thanks for being awesome ! Secondly, does admissions welcome updates/ additional letters to those applicants that are on hold?

Hello MU-COM!

First off thanks for being awesome ! Secondly, does admissions welcome updates/ additional letters to those applicants that are on hold?

Hi! Unfortunately, we do not accept unsolicited updates from applicants unless you have been offered a spot on the alternate list. In that case, you are permitted one update. For these reasons, we encourage you to update your primary application with AACOMAS.

Admissions

Hi! Unfortunately, we do not accept unsolicited updates from applicants unless you have been offered a spot on the alternate list. In that case, you are permitted one update. For these reasons, we encourage you to update your primary application with AACOMAS.

Admissions
Okay ! thank you much for the reply:)

Kinda bummed out that the graduate housing on campus is out of single apartments (waitlisted). Anyone here care to comment on how it's like living with roommates?

Kinda bummed out that the graduate housing on campus is out of single apartments (waitlisted). Anyone here care to comment on how it's like living with roommates?
you're better off living a few minutes off-campus then on campus. you'll save tons of money

I'm thinking of just buying a house there a few minutes from campus and then finding a couple other first years in my class to rent out to. I've lived with 2 other roommates in an apartment for undergrad and it's been fun and they were all easy going. Plus then if you're studying you can quiz each other while carpooling and over breakfast or dinner.