Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a Facebook page for class of 2020 yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't find one. Not sure if students make it or admins do?

Members don't see this ad :)
I made a facebook group for MUCOM 2020. Please PM me to be added.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know what % of interviewees get accepted?

Anyone know what % of interviewees get accepted?
According to their fact sheet from 2019:
4339 applications received
617 interviewed
342 accepted
162 enrolled
So about 55% of interviewed people are accepted.

whats the best way to get to the interview from the airport? Bus?

Just received word that my ACOMAS has been verified as of today 12/2/15. Official MCAT scores, GPA, and letters all received by ACOMAS. What's the turn around for receiving a secondary? I want to get it in ASAP.

Just received word that my ACOMAS has been verified as of today 12/2/15. Official MCAT scores, GPA, and letters all received by ACOMAS. What's the turn around for receiving a secondary? I want to get it in ASAP.
I believe my secondary came in about a month or so. Interview invite took about the same amount of time. So maybe 2-3 months from submitting AACOMAS in my experience atleast.

Members don't see this ad :)
@PKMEDG

It took 3-4 weeks to get the secondary and then 2 weeks to be marked complete.

Were you guys earlier in the cycle tho? I'm going to try to contact admissions and see if there is any way to expedite the process, seeing it is so late in the cycle. I actually submitted my ACOMAS on 11/27 and was verified today. So, thats pretty quick turn around for ACOMAS.

@PKMEDG

Not early in the cycle - I was verified Mid October and received the secondary 3-4 weeks later.

Just got accepted here! I cannot find a date that they need a response by - can anyone shed any light? Apologies if this was addressed earlier in this thread!

Edit: Looks like they follow AACOMAS traffic guidelines, but my other acceptances all gave an exact date they needed to know by so was confused because there wasn't one! If I'm missing something, can someone please let me know?

Last edited:
Anyone know the typical turnaround for post interview decisions? Interviewing 12/5

Just got accepted here! I cannot find a date that they need a response by - can anyone shed any light? Apologies if this was addressed earlier in this thread!

Edit: Looks like they follow AACOMAS traffic guidelines, but my other acceptances all gave an exact date they needed to know by so was confused because there wasn't one! If I'm missing something, can someone please let me know?
The seat deposit is due December 14. Other due dates are in your portal

The seat deposit is due December 14. Other due dates are in your portal
I believe if you are accepted after Nov 15th you have 30 days. You can look up the deposit rules in AACOMAS. I interviewed and was accepted on the same days as you @sacholiver and we are due to have our deposits by Dec 14th.

Yes it follows traffic guidelines.

If you were accepted today, you have 30 days to make your decision. In other words, on or before January 3rd.

Admissions

Does MUCOM still call accepted people? I had some questions and wanted to get these answered before depositing the $1000

Does MUCOM still call accepted people? I had some questions and wanted to get these answered before depositing the $1000
You should email admissions. Bryan Moody is good at getting back to you.

Interview tomorrow afternoon! Any suggestions on how to prep for the MMI and traditional interviews?

Can someone please remind me: do you get assigned to a single site for all of the 3rd year clerkships? How does MUCOM go about assigning these sites?

We are almost back to our normal processing times. Pre-screen for a supplemental should take 1-2 weeks.

Admissions

We do but the calls are not immediate this year. If you have questions, please contact Bryan.

Admissions

Can someone please remind me: do you get assigned to a single site for all of the 3rd year clerkships? How does MUCOM go about assigning these sites?

Generally not. You should expect some movement throughout the state depending on the rotation. If admitted, you will see a sample rotation grid by next week.

Admissions

Generally not. You should expect some movement throughout the state depending on the rotation. If admitted, you will see a sample rotation grid by next week.

Admissions

Thanks for the info! Will the sample rotation grid be part of the "Advantage Series"?

For those of us placed on the alternate list, when in the process of the overall admissions cycle should we send along a letter of intent? Do you recommend using this opportunity only once we've further substantiated our application in some way (new grades, projects, jobs, volunteer hours, etc.)? As a question to tie in with that, about how much movement/acceptance from the alternate list should be expected around this time? Thank you!

I too am on the alternate list and have been accepted to another school. I was wondering when the alternate list will begin to see some movement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know the typical turnaround for post interview decisions? Interviewing 12/5

Typically between 1-3 weeks not including holiday breaks. But the Admissions Committee will be holding an extended meeting on 12/17 to review as many files as possible.

Admissions

I too am on the alternate list and have been accepted to another school. I was wondering when the alternate list will begin to see some movement?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The committee reviewed the alternate list for the first time yesterday and offered admission to a number of applicants. Reviews will happen periodically from now through late April.

Admissions

Current student here-- happy to answer any questions that any of you may have (although, I may not be able to give a very unbiased opinion because I love, love, love MUCOM). :)

I'm thinking of just buying a house there a few minutes from campus and then finding a couple other first years in my class to rent out to. I've lived with 2 other roommates in an apartment for undergrad and it's been fun and they were all easy going. Plus then if you're studying you can quiz each other while carpooling and over breakfast or dinner.

Do it! I bought my first house in the heart of downtown (~15 min from campus). Initially, I doubted my decision because 1.) buying your first house in a state you've never lived in on student loan money is terrifying and 2.) a LOT of the students live at The Overlook, so I had a bit of FOMO when I initially matriculated. Now, I couldn't be happier with my decision. Living off campus provides you with a nice separation between work/life, and it's easy to make friends with the students who live on campus.

There's lots of new construction in the up-and-coming areas, so you can get a stunning and large home for very little-- which means you can have lots of roommates and still have privacy (and eventually sell for a nice little profit). For anyone buying a home: I HIGHLY recommend buying either new construction or a very, very, very recently renovated older home. I barely have the time to do yard work/routine maintenance on my new home as-is (and I still haven't found the time to buy a lot of "essentials" like... a TV...), so if you're going for an older home, make sure you room with people who are going to be team players in home maintenance/cooking/cleaning/etc. Sounds obvious, but you'd be amazed by how many people end up finding themselves in a "landlord" role and essentially have to single-handedly take care of all of the cleaning/maintenance... Yikes. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Current student here-- happy to answer any questions that any of you may have (although, I may not be able to give a very unbiased opinion because I love, love, love MUCOM). :)

Do it! I bought my first house in the heart of downtown (~15 min from campus). Initially, I doubted my decision because 1.) buying your first house in a state you've never lived in on student loan money is terrifying and 2.) a LOT of the students live at The Overlook, so I had a bit of FOMO when I initially matriculated. Now, I couldn't be happier with my decision. Living off campus provides you with a nice separation between work/life, and it's easy to make friends with the students who live on campus.

There's lots of new construction in the up-and-coming areas, so you can get a stunning and large home for very little-- which means you can have lots of roommates and still have privacy (and eventually sell for a nice little profit). For anyone buying a home: I HIGHLY recommend buying either new construction or a very, very, very recently renovated older home. I barely have the time to do yard work/routine maintenance on my new home as-is (and I still haven't found the time to buy a lot of "essentials" like... a TV...), so if you're going for an older home, make sure you room with people who are going to be team players in home maintenance/cooking/cleaning/etc. Sounds obvious, but you'd be amazed by how many people end up finding themselves in a "landlord" role and essentially have to single-handedly take care of all of the cleaning/maintenance... Yikes. Good luck!
Which areas would suggest looking for houses for sale/rent? I will have two young children by matriculation and my wife and I are looking for family friendly areas that are close to the school. Thanks for any info!

Quick questions! How far of a commute do you think is reasonable? I'm thinking about a place 30 mins away. Also can you comment on how often you have to come to class? I understand you have to come to labs for OMM etc but do lectures have attendance points? Thanks :)

Anyone have hotel recommendations that are affordable and relatively close?

Quick questions! How far of a commute do you think is reasonable? I'm thinking about a place 30 mins away. Also can you comment on how often you have to come to class? I understand you have to come to labs for OMM etc but do lectures have attendance points? Thanks :)

I would recommend living close to the campus with a drive time under 30 mins. It mainly comes into play when exams are around the corner. Many students come to practice for various exams with each other and it really helps. I tend to not see people there that often when they live farther away. The only classes that are mandatory are labs and maybe a few lectures. There are no attendance points for lecture or anything like that for lectures.

I would recommend living close to the campus with a drive time under 30 mins. It mainly comes into play when exams are around the corner. Many students come to practice for various exams with each other and it really helps. I tend to not see people there that often when they live farther away. The only classes that are mandatory are labs and maybe a few lectures. There are no attendance points for lecture or anything like that for lectures.
Thanks for the info! It's really appreciated. Do any students live downtown? What areas/neighborhoods are popular for students and/or young-ish people?

Hi MU-COM,

I am on decision deferred and MUCOM is my first choice.. I understand that MUCOM does not accept updates/letters to applicants not granted an interview, but how can I express my interest in attending MUCOM if my AACOMAS is already up to date???

Anyone here worried about getting into a semi competitive residency while attending MUCOM?

After all, it's a brand new school and we have no idea what the match list is going to be like.

Anyone here worried about getting into a semi competitive residency while attending MUCOM?

After all, it's a brand new school and we have no idea what the match list is going to be like.
The thought has crossed my mind. But I assume what's more important are your board scores than what school you attended. Do well on the boards and I'm sure you'll get into a "decent" residency

The thought has crossed my mind. But I assume what's more important are your board scores than what school you attended. Do well on the boards and I'm sure you'll get into a "decent" residency
thats very true,

and after interviewing and touring here its clear that faculty cares about its students and the curriculum is directly based off the board

however, what im interested in is how the curriculum matches up with the USMLE Step 1, not just COMLEX

Agreed. Absent of an already-existing Match list history, it seems like all the other tools you'd need to place into a specialty you'd like are present at Marian.

Plus, as a c/o 2020-er, it seems like the Match will be shaken up for us anyway... who's to say how that piece of it will affect students from any schools?