Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone! My seat deposit deadline is fast approaching and I'm having a difficult time coming up with the money. I really liked the environment of MUCOM and want to attend next year. Is there any way to have my deadline date changed?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone! My seat deposit deadline is fast approaching and I'm having a difficult time coming up with the money. I really liked the environment of MUCOM and want to attend next year. Is there any way to have my deadline date changed?

I would call Bryan Moody in Admissions. He's very nice and helpful and would be able to give you a definite answer. You're probably not the only person in that situation and you've already done the hard work to get accepted! It definitely won't hurt to try.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted and planning on matriculating. Thrilled!

Looking for roommates. Guys or girls. I'm a dude.
(If there's a thread for people planning on matriculating post a link!)

What are the earliest interview dates open as of now? Anyone that has scheduled their interview recently.

Alternate list :( this is my top choice school so I'm planning on sending in a letter of intent here shortly.

What are the earliest interview dates open as of now? Anyone that has scheduled their interview recently.

January dates are available. The last interview weekend is in April.

Admissions

Hey guys, I just received an email encouraging me to apply. Do you think it is too late, and any idea on how much of the class is filled? OOS(with no real ties), 510 mcat, 3.65cGPA, 3.79 sGPA. Do you think I would have a shot, or would I just be throwing money away this late?

Hey guys, I just received an email encouraging me to apply. Do you think it is too late, and any idea on how much of the class is filled? OOS(with no real ties), 510 mcat, 3.65cGPA, 3.79 sGPA. Do you think I would have a shot, or would I just be throwing money away this late?

If you search this thread, you'll see that MU-COM answered this Q. They still interview until April and you beat the stats according to their class profile. Also roughly half of their class is out of state so that isn't a big deal. As long as you have your app materials ready, I'd go ahead and apply!

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All complete files through November have received an initial or final interview decision. We are now working on 12/1-12/8. Please note, though, that Marian University offices will be closed on 12/24, 12/25, 12/31, and 1/1 which could delay some decisions.

MU-COM

All complete files through November have received an initial or final interview decision. We are now working on 12/1-12/8. Please note, though, that Marian University offices will be closed on 12/24, 12/25, 12/31, and 1/1 which could delay some decisions.

MU-COM
Any idea when the "hold" files will be looked at again for possible interviews?

SOOO hey I got an interview!

Whose got two thumbs and is excited? THIS GUY

For those that have interviewed, any general tips? I have a small bit of experience with the MMI's from doing it with MSUCOM.

Also coming from out of state, where is a good place to lodge for the night?

For those that have interviewed, any general tips? I have a small bit of experience with the MMI's from doing it with MSUCOM.

Congratulations on the II.
When were you complete?

When were you complete and stats/LizzyM?

Hey guys! How long did it take you all to receive a complete email?
My timeline tells me a month

anyone know the step 1/level 1 avg/pass rate? How many took usmle?

anyone know the step 1/level 1 avg/pass rate? How many took usmle?

From an email they sent earlier this semester:
"We are excited to announce the Class of 2017 took COMLEX Level I over the summer. MU-COM’s first-time pass rate is 94.81%, compared to the national average of 92.99%. This validates our admissions process and unique curriculum are preparing medical students for successful careers in the health care profession."

I haven't seen any information on the average or taking the USMLE--information I'd like to find out, though!

I have asked a couple times about the USMLE scores and have not heard back much.

I have asked a couple times about the USMLE scores and have not heard back much.

We are working to tabulate this info, but it is harder b/c USMLE does not track DO schools. If/when results are available, we will post them.

Admissions

Completed late October due to an LOR needing to be re-sent.

Stats were 3.6 cGPA (upwards trend, 2yrs ~3.1 and 2yrs ~3.9), 31 MCAT, and Canadian applicant.

I interview in a couple weeks. Does anyone have suggestions for the interview and the MMI portion? Do we have to use the entire set amount of time for the MMI stations?

I've received other acceptances, but I really would love to get in here. Thoughts on my chances if I interview well? 25 MCAT 3.8+ sGPA/cGPA OOS - from the midwest

I interview in a couple weeks. Does anyone have suggestions for the interview and the MMI portion? Do we have to use the entire set amount of time for the MMI stations?

I've received other acceptances, but I really would love to get in here. Thoughts on my chances if I interview well? 25 MCAT 3.8+ sGPA/cGPA OOS - from the midwest

You should buy an MMI book from Amazon and have a friend run a few practice stations with you. Take it like you would take a practice MCAT exam before you took the real thing. Wear the same attire, sit up straight etc. The interview info should be in the email sent to you.

Good luck! I met people from all over the US (and Canada) on my interview. You will be just fine :)

Insight from any interviewees please- Did you guys have to talk for the full 12 minutes at every station? And there are two MMI stations total right? Thank you in advance!

MU-COM
When will you start looking at complete applicants from 12/9-12/16?

When will you start looking at complete applicants from 12/9-12/16?

More interview decisions will be sent today/tomorrow.

Admissions

Last edited:
Is this for those waiting to hear for II's or those that have already interviewed?

Interview decisions. The admissions committee will not meet again until 1/7/16 when it will review files from 12/19 and 12/21 interviews.

Admissions

Sure - 27 MCAT, 3.5 sGPA. It was through email... best of luck to you!
Nearly identical numbers to mine. That is awesome you got an interview! I'm still here hoping. Kill that interview!

Hi, new to the thread but I just got an II here as well. Was complete on the 23. Would love to get in also. The MMI format will be interesting. Can't access the portal to schedule anything though, it seems like their server is on vacation.

Hi, new to the thread but I just got an II here as well. Was complete on the 23. Would love to get in also. The MMI format will be interesting. Can't access the portal to schedule anything though, it seems like their server is on vacation.
Congrats! What time did you get II email? And do you mind sharing stats?

Congrats! What time did you get II email? And do you mind sharing stats?
Thanks! I hope yours is on its way soon. I got the email at 9:56am. I've got a LizzyM score ~71 I believe.

Would it be a bad idea to send in a letter of intent for someone who's on a pre-interview hold? I'm getting antsy, MUCOM is definitely my top choice! Just worried that with my lower stats, I may not stand a chance if I don't send in something saying I'm seroiusly interested. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I'm not sure how MUCOM views the "pre-interview hold" letters of intent.

We are working with our IT staff to diagnose and fix the portal access issue. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Admissions

Are there still II's going out today with portal being down?

Admissions portal is back online. Thanks for your patience.

MU-COM

P.S. Initial and final interview decisions will go out today.

@MU COM

Are letters of recommendation downloaded after the primary application is reviewed or after the secondary is recieved! Thanks in advance

Current applicant on pre-interview hold. I was instructed to send in my most recent semester marks for review, as I was told my current GPA is less competitive then they would like. Is there a mailing address to which I can have my university send in an official transcript?
My current stats before sending in my latest semester marks are - MCAT - 28, cGPA- 3.64, sGPA-3.69