Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody else here interviewing on Jan. 8?

Members don't see this ad.

@MU COM

Are letters of recommendation downloaded after the primary application is reviewed or after the secondary is recieved! Thanks in advance

All letters are downloaded once a week but they are not typically reviewed until after a supplemental application has been submitted.

Admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
Current applicant on pre-interview hold. I was instructed to send in my most recent semester marks for review, as I was told my current GPA is less competitive then they would like. Is there a mailing address to which I can have my university send in an official transcript?
My current stats before sending in my latest semester marks are - MCAT - 28, cGPA- 3.64, sGPA-3.69

Please send an official transcript to AACOMAS so your recent grades can be verified during the academic update period.

Admissions

Reactions: 1 user
Current applicant on pre-interview hold. I was instructed to send in my most recent semester marks for review, as I was told my current GPA is less competitive then they would like. Is there a mailing address to which I can have my university send in an official transcript?
My current stats before sending in my latest semester marks are - MCAT - 28, cGPA- 3.64, sGPA-3.69
3.6+ GPA is less competitive? Holy moly!

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody hear anything today?

Over 100 initial and final interview decisions were sent today. Decisions for the remaining complete files from 12/8 (approx. 15) will be sent out over the weekend.

Admissions

Over 100 initial and final interview decisions were sent today. Decisions for the remaining complete files from 12/8 (approx. 15) will be sent out over the weekend.

Admissions
Admissions,

Thank you for all of the updated info in this cycle!
When will applications complete 12/16, or around 12/16, be reviewed?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Admissions
Is 12/11 complete files included in the weekend decisions?

Admissions,

Thank you for all of the updated info in this cycle!
When will applications complete 12/16, or around 12/16, be reviewed?
Thanks!

While some screeners work ahead, all 12/16 files will not be reviewed until after the holiday. We are at normal processing for interview decisions: 3-4 weeks from date of complete email.

Admissions

While some screeners work ahead, all 12/16 files will not be reviewed until after the holiday. We are at normal processing for interview decisions: 3-4 weeks from date of complete email.

Admissions
Awesome, I still have hope!
Thank you and happy new year to the staff at MUCOM and to everyone here in the thread!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre interview hold email today dated around 7PM.
Hoping to hear good news soon!

Would it be a bad idea to send in a letter of intent for someone who's on a pre-interview hold? I'm getting antsy, MUCOM is definitely my top choice! Just worried that with my lower stats, I may not stand a chance if I don't send in something saying I'm seroiusly interested. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I'm not sure how MUCOM views the "pre-interview hold" letters of intent.
I believe that admissions does not look at pre-interview LOI. I might be wrong but it's usually reserved for people who were waitlisted to use their 1 file upload of any updates or LOI they may want to send in.

@MU COM Do you know when 12/11 complete applicants will be notified of initial decision?

Accepted! Interviewed mid-December. I'm thrilled!!

Reactions: 6 users
We are scheduled to review pre-interview holds next on 1/30/15.

Admissions

@MU COM
Currently on pre-interview hold. Due to problems with the academic office at my university, grade entry to my transcript has been delayed and it does not seem that my first semester marks will be updated for January 30th. Will you be looking at pre-interview holds after the 30th as well?

This is a really antsy question, but if you've been placed on the alternate list, does Bryan or anyone else on the admissions committee send a "Received! It's been added to your applicant file!" email after sending in a Letter of Intent?

Grats! When were you complete and stats/LizzyM?
Were you on hold at all?
Thanks! :) Submitted primary early June, received sec in July but didn't submit until mid November. Was on hold for physician LOR even though I sent it in. I emailed admissions and they fixed it the next day.

Complete 12/11
28 MCAT 3.6 GPA
Heavy research experience, OOS

Last edited:
This is a really antsy question, but if you've been placed on the alternate list, does Bryan or anyone else on the admissions committee send a "Received! It's been added to your applicant file!" email after sending in a Letter of Intent?

If sent to Bryan, he does reply when the letter is added to your file.

Admissions

Just got accepted!! Interviewed 1/9

Reactions: 5 users
If sent to Bryan, he does reply when the letter is added to your file.

Admissions

Thank you for letting us know. If we sent the email about a week ago without a reply, is it safe to say that he hasn't had the chance to read it/add it to our files just yet? I assume turnaround might be a bit longer at this point in the cycle.

I just got accepted!!! I am beyond excited!! Interview 1/9

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed. I really loved the school and hope to get an acceptance here. I felt really off my game for the MMI's though! Anyone else feel like this an get accepted?

Hello all---current 3rd year at MU-COM. Used to be on here more, but haven't in a long time.

Just wanted to pop in and say congrats to all who have been accepted and good luck to the rest!

This is a great school. You saw our boards pass rate (>94%) and what you don't know is how great the teaching and hospital systems are. The anatomy lab is top notch, the sim lab is the same. The entire facility is great. The faculty is not only great at what they do, they are well known in their fields and REALLY care about us students.

3rd year is great. St Vincent and Community hospital systems are amazing. We are getting wonderful training.

again, good luck and get ready for some tough, memorable years ahead.

Reactions: 1 users
Did a lot of students have rotations outside of Indy? Also do you get grouped with one of the clinical partners like St Vincent and Community for all your rotations? I recall our student interviewers saying something like this.

Thanks!

Did a lot of students have rotations outside of Indy? Also do you get grouped with one of the clinical partners like St Vincent and Community for all your rotations? I recall our student interviewers saying something like this.

Thanks!

Not very many rotations outside of Indy actually. My longest commute has been about 40 min. There are a few common sites farther out, 1-2 hrs away, but that would only be one of your months. Some people choose to go out of town for personal reasons as well, and the school helps accommodate that. We are lucky to have so many options right in town here.

I think they were initially trying to give each student a "home hospital network", either St V's or Community, but we all ended up having rations at both. It's actually nice to see how different programs work.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed. I really loved the school and hope to get an acceptance here. I felt really off my game for the MMI's though! Anyone else feel like this an get accepted?

Also interviewed on the 14th! I was really impressed by the school. There was a great vibe from the students and the faculty. Hopefully we both get an acceptance :)

I know Bryan said we should expect 2-4 weeks for a decision, but it sounds like some people from the Jan 9th interview got a reply in one week! Ahhh can't wait to find out!

Also interviewed on the 14th! I was really impressed by the school. There was a great vibe from the students and the faculty. Hopefully we both get an acceptance :)

I know Bryan said we should expect 2-4 weeks for a decision, but it sounds like some people from the Jan 9th interview got a reply in one week! Ahhh can't wait to find out!

Yes, I loved the school as well! Hopefully we'll both receive an acceptance. I have a feeling we will hear sooner than later.
Best of luck!! :)

When were you complete?

I noticed there is an Admissions member from MUCOM posting here. Do you think it is worthwhile applying to MUCOM at this point in the cycle? I tried reaching the Admissions dept directly a few times last week by phone and email and had no success. If you can please let me know, I will really appreciate it.

I noticed there is an Admissions member from MUCOM posting here. Do you think it is worthwhile applying to MUCOM at this point in the cycle? I tried reaching the Admissions dept directly a few times last week by phone and email and had no success. If you can please let me know, I will really appreciate it.

If interested in MU-COM, please apply. The primary application deadline is approaching on 2/1. Please see an earlier post to explain how our cycle works re: available seats, which still exist. Interviews end in April.

Good luck,
Admissions

Does MU-COM welcome thank you letters post-interview? Did any interviewees write thank you letters to their interviewers?

anyone who got placed on hold get an II after?? was on hold since 2 days ago! thanks!