Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Placed on alt. list.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right there with you guys! So anxious to hear back. Hopefully next week!

Reactions: 1 user
I revisted at the campus over the weekend and I really liked the vibe I felt. The Michael Evans center is absolutely stunning and the students I met were incrediblely friendly. The graduate housing was similarly quiet and impressive. I'd recommend anyone on the fence about the school to give them another look!

If interested in MU-COM, please apply. The primary application deadline is approaching on 2/1. Please see an earlier post to explain how our cycle works re: available seats, which still exist. Interviews end in April.

Good luck,
Admissions

I am interested in MU-COM, and I am glad that there are available seats. I have a question though regarding the one semester of sociology requirement. I am a nontraditional applicant (graduated in 2010 from undergrad) and I have never taken a sociology course. Can I substitute this sociology requirement for any other course say in humanities, history, philosophy? Thank you in advance for your help. @MU COM

I am interested in MU-COM, and I am glad that there are available seats. I have a question though regarding the one semester of sociology requirement. I am a nontraditional applicant (graduated in 2010 from undergrad) and I have never taken a sociology course. Can I substitute this sociology requirement for any other course say in humanities, history, philosophy? Thank you in advance for your help. @MU COM

Thanks for the question. The substitution that we automatically accept is anthropology for sociology. Otherwise, we would need to look at the specific course content.

Admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the question. The substitution that we automatically accept is anthropology for sociology. Otherwise, we would need to look at the specific course content.

Admissions
Ah, I have never taken anthropology either. I will email admissions with my specific course content then, because I really would like to apply here. Thank you for responding!

For those of you who interviewed and or got accepted, would you mind sharing your gpa/mcat stats?just curious as to where i fall, i have the volunteer/research experience and my gpa is pretty good but curious as to where my mcat stands in comparison to you guys! Thanks! Much appreciated! (I'm doing the 2016 cycle fyi)

For those of you who interviewed and or got accepted, would you mind sharing your gpa/mcat stats?just curious as to where i fall, i have the volunteer/research experience and my gpa is pretty good but curious as to where my mcat stands in comparison to you guys! Thanks! Much appreciated! (I'm doing the 2016 cycle fyi)

I know I had the same Qs running through my head before and after interviewing but please don't stress over it. In my personal interview we talked about why my gpa/mcat were so different (3.4/32) and I still got accepted!

Damn! You killed the mcat! And yeah well i haven't applied yet but yeah this is def a top choice, i am an OOS applicant as well - I'm sure that limits my chance more than someone who is an IN in state applicant.

Alternate listed :( I really liked this school, I'm pretty bummed out.

Sorry to hear! :(
But don't be discouraged! If I remember correctly, Bryan said around 40% of the applicants from the alternate list eventually get accepted. The only problem is the waiting game...

--

Looks like I will be hearing back next week... this school is my #1 choice so I really hope I get some good news. :nailbiting:

Last edited:
Accepted! Just received the email. Words cannot express how happy I feel right now! :soexcited:

Damn! 33/3.4 do you know why? Great stats for DO

I'm really not sure, I thought the interviews went well, though its possible they sensed my hesitancy with it being a new school and therefore didn't want to waste a spot on me. Not sure why they wouldn't waitlist me though.
Thanks btw haha

@zigizagi would you mind sharing stats? In state or oos?

I grew up in Indiana, but changed my residency to OOS this past summer. So, I figure I'm still considered IS since it hasn't been over a year and my family still lives in Indiana. MCAT - 28/503, GPA - 3.4ish. Lots of extracurriculars, shadowing, masters degree, and leadership experience. If you have any other questions, please feel free to DM me =].

Received a rejection post interview today. Was kind of surprised considering I felt my interview didn't go too bad. I felt as though I got on really well with the faculty during the 1:1. I'm an OOS applicant with 3.7 gpa and 25 mcat with average extracurriculars. Perhaps it was my test score that did me in. Oh well, life goes on!

Does anyone know how many seats are still available for the upcoming class ?

Does anyone know if MUCOM has accepted anyone with (truly) lower MCAT scores this cycle? MUCOM seems like a great school and I'm tempted to apply here. I'm OOS, non-tradtional. And when I say non-traditional, I do mean it. I'm 20 years older than most and had a very unusual and successful career until a significant health crisis impacted a family member and life changed. I did a post-bac at a respectable Univ, have lots of clinical shadowing and volunteer hours a decent GPA and solid ECs. My MCAT is (I think) really the only blemish, but understandably it's a blemish nevertheless. Good luck to all of you and thanks to everyone for being so helpful.

What is your MCAT score?

Does anyone know if MUCOM has accepted anyone with (truly) lower MCAT scores this cycle? MUCOM seems like a great school and I'm tempted to apply here. I'm OOS, non-tradtional. And when I say non-traditional, I do mean it. I'm 20 years older than most and had a very unusual and successful career until a significant health crisis impacted a family member and life changed. I did a post-bac at a respectable Univ, have lots of clinical shadowing and volunteer hours a decent GPA and solid ECs. My MCAT is (I think) really the only blemish, but understandably it's a blemish nevertheless. Good luck to all of you and thanks to everyone for being so helpful.
you're applying super late. possible, but unlikely so late in the cycle. I would give it a shot though. You never know!

I was accepted with 3.9/32 MCAT for those wanting stats.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not traditional, I did a number of other things before deciding to go to medical school. The one thing that I would think about if I was part of admission is if this person can handle the lifestyle changes of medical school. The curriculum is very demanding, and for fresh grads, it's easier to adapt to because they are flexible coming out of college. Older, non-traditional students have other responsibilities like family, mortgage, and etc. This could affect your study time which is critically important to your success. Even if that's the case, there's plenty of people who have been successful at managing their life and medical school, with a key emphasis in management. This topic is only considered if admissions deems you capable of dealing with the coursework hence the emphasis on GPA and MCAT scores. If you haven't sent in your secondary application already then I would suggest you wait until next cycle to apply and apply early. You don't want to write another topic about why you didn't get into medical school in your first cycle and having to say that you just applied late. Good luck.

I was accepted with 3.9/32 MCAT for those wanting stats.

I don't know if that's quite helpful for Laterthansooner .

On the website it says that the 2013 class had the following profile:
Number of Applicants 3,352
Class Size 162
MCAT Average 26
Science GPA Average 3.49
Cumulative GPA Average 3.57
Male 51%
Female 49%
Residency/Citizenship: Indiana (54%), 22 other states and three countries are represented in our first class.

http://www.marian.edu/osteopathic-medical-school/about/quick-facts

Class Size 162
MCAT Average 26
Science GPA Average 3.49
Male 51%
Female 49%
Residency/Citizenship: Indiana (54%), 22 other states and three countries are represented in our first class.

I was just posting my stats because someone else asked for them above

Class Size 162
MCAT Average 26
Science GPA Average 3.49
Male 51%
Female 49%

I believe for 2019 class MCAT average was 28 and possibly higher GPA averages. I forgot the exact numbers.

Underdog here interviewing this Friday!!! So excited but also super nervous.

On a lighter note, any recommendations on restaurants to eat at while I'm in the area?

On a lighter note, any recommendations on restaurants to eat at while I'm in the area?
How much do you wanna spend?
Higher end - St. Elmo's steakhouse downtown
Middle end - Cheesecake Factory
Lower end - Steak 'n Shake

I felt the same way. First MMI? Why did I have to interview last? etc. Just try your best to calm those nerves, it really ain't so bad.

I recommend hitting up Mass ave (10- 15 mins away) after your interview. Plenty of great, semi affordable places to choose from. I love bazbeaux pizza there.

I felt the same way. First MMI? Why did I have to interview last? etc. Just try your best to calm those nerves, it really ain't so bad.

I recommend hitting up Mass ave (10- 15 mins away) after your interview. Plenty of great, semi affordable places to choose from. I love bazbeaux pizza there.
Haha thanks! My very first interview this cycle was MMI, and it was where I think I faltered. I've had a few more interviews under my belt since so I feel a bit more seasoned, but still nervous because it will still be a huge day for me.

ACCEPTED !!! MMI was actually a lot of fun - the interviewers were all super friendly and easy to talk to :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
ACCEPTED !!! MMI was actually a lot of fun - the interviewers were all super friendly and easy to talk to :)
I LOVE this school but unfortunately, am missing the sociology prerequisite and am out of school now... Can anyone recommend the fastest/easiest way to take this sociology course online?

Congrats! :)
Can I ask what date you interviewed and when you got the acceptance email?

I LOVE this school but unfortunately, am missing the sociology prerequisite and am out of school now... Can anyone recommend the fastest/easiest way to take this sociology course online?
Wait for the MMI you speak to faculty/staff? The last MMI I did (different school) they used actors and observed us over webcam. I like the idea of MMI directly with interviewer better. Does the interviewer just ask what you would have done in the given scenario? Or do they role play like actors?

Congrats! :)
Can I ask what date you interviewed and when you got the acceptance email?
Interviewed 1/08. Accepted 1/28. OOS.

Wait for the MMI you speak to faculty/staff? The last MMI I did (different school) they used actors and observed us over webcam. I like the idea of MMI directly with interviewer better. Does the interviewer just ask what you would have done in the given scenario? Or do they role play like actors?
Yup, you speak directly to the faculty in the MMI. You have 2mins to read the prompt and then you go in and talk to the interviewer about what you would do in the given scenario. It's really fun and laid-back! No role-play.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users