Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is the alternative list?

The alternate list is Marian's version of the waitlist, but we're told that this waitlist in particular sees a lot of movement, so it really isn't the worst place to be at all! (I've been on the alternate list since November, so I feel your pain nonetheless.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected today post interview. Kind of felt it after the interview. Oh well! Got into a school that's a better fit for me anyways.

Mind sharing why you though that way? Also stats and what school you got into?

Interview: I know lots of people say the MMI isn't anything to worry about, but I thought one of the questions was rather challenging and I really didn't know how to respond. Interactions with the faculty during the interviews and the whole day just felt 'off'.

Stats: 3.883 sGPA/3.822 cGPA 25 MCAT (9ps/6vr/10bs). Lots of campus involvement in undergrad. Strong research background in undergrad. Somewhat cookie cutter clinal volunteering. Good non clinical volunteering. 2 shadowing experiences (1do and 1md). Was told my LORs were excellent, extensive, and really described the type of person I am.

I was offered 8 total interviews and attended 4 (including MU-COM). Got accepted into LECOM-E, BCOM, and OU-HCOM. Will be attending OU-HCOM.

Does anyone know how the alternate system works? Is it ranked or is it whoever applied first gets first offers?

I believe it's ranked. On interview day, they said that they no longer tell you (if you ask) where you stand on the alternate list.

You are ranked. They will tell you when they start pulling off the waitlist, the sooner they call you, the higher your rank.

The waitlist is really not that bad if you have a strong application but have 1 red flag. Something that gives admission pause but they still want you. Usually by May (I'm not sure) is when there's a mad dash among all of the schools to get the next best students off the waitlist. If you send a letter of intent that might send you further up the list because it's the COM's turn to be first in line. I was waitlisted here and was accepted somewhere else but still took the spot when I was called. MUCOM was my top choice after doing the interview circuit. There is hope! Good luck for those on the waitlist!

Reactions: 1 users
II today! so excited! does anyone know how many seats are still available? couldn't find it in this thread :/ and what is a good nearby hotel?

p.s. for those who are interested, stats are 3.5c/sgpa, MCAT 502.

Reactions: 1 users
II today! so excited! does anyone know how many seats are still available? couldn't find it in this thread :/ and what is a good nearby hotel?

We're you on hold before?

Good luck to all y'all on the alternate list! Keep your head up, I was in your shoes last year. MUCOM's admissions office is great at communicating throughout the process so be on the lookout. Marian was worth the wait.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I stayed at the Candlewood Suites. It's a 5 minute cab ride away from the university and they have suites so its really nice if you plan on making some food.

Good luck to all y'all on the alternate list! Keep your head up, I was in your shoes last year. MUCOM's admissions office is great at communicating throughout the process so be on the lookout. Marian was worth the wait.

Awesome, good to hear! When were you placed on alternate list and when were you accepted if you don't mind sharing?

Awesome, good to hear! When were you placed on alternate list and when were you accepted if you don't mind sharing?
I interviewed in Feb and was notified a month later that I was placed on the alt list. I got in in May

You are ranked. They will tell you when they start pulling off the waitlist, the sooner they call you, the higher your rank.

The waitlist is really not that bad if you have a strong application but have 1 red flag. Something that gives admission pause but they still want you. Usually by May (I'm not sure) is when there's a mad dash among all of the schools to get the next best students off the waitlist. If you send a letter of intent that might send you further up the list because it's the COM's turn to be first in line. I was waitlisted here and was accepted somewhere else but still took the spot when I was called. MUCOM was my top choice after doing the interview circuit. There is hope! Good luck for those on the waitlist!

CORRECTION: Candidates are placed in tiers: 1, 2, and 3. There is no individual ranking at MU-COM. Finally, we reserve the right to pull from anywhere on the list at any time.

Admissions

Reactions: 3 users
I was placed on pre-interview hold a month ago. If I haven't heard anything by today, does that mean a rejection? The hold email said it would be less than a month before we were updated on status.

I was placed on pre-interview hold a month ago. If I haven't heard anything by today, does that mean a rejection? The hold email said it would be less than a month before we were updated on status.

UPDATED:

All files receive a final decision via email. We will review pre-interview holds from 1/18 and after this week. Last week we reviewed applications deferred for grades.

Admissions

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
ANNOUNCING: Graduate Program in Biomedical Science

The administration and faculty of the Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM) is pleased to announce the start of its graduate program in Biomedical Science. The Master of Science in Biomedical Science program will start in August 2016.

The program will offer two tracks:
  1. Medical School—to enhance your application through graduate science courses similar to the first year of medical school
  2. Research—to pursue a career in the life/biomedical sciences or research laboratories
Program curriculum, admission requirements, and application instructions will be available no later than March 15, 2016. By receiving this email, you will be notified automatically when the information is available.

Thank you for your continued interest.

MU-COM

Last edited:
UPDATED:

All files receive a final decision via email. We will review pre-interview holds from 1/18 and after this week. Last week we reviewed applications deferred for grades.

Admissions

Hey MUCOM, I am an applicant that was put on pre-interview hold back in November due to grades, have you already sent out decisions for those applications your reviewed last week?

Alternate list post interview...but I am OOS and have a lower than average MCAT (but lots of ECs). Super disappointed because I fell in love with this school after the interview. Someone mentioned last year they were wait listed in February and found out they got in during May, which is great but it kind of worries me because my apartment lease ends in May. Hopefully everything will work out!

ANNOUNCING: Graduate Program in Biomedical Science

The administration and faculty of the Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM) is pleased to announce the start of its graduate program in Biomedical Science. The Master of Science in Biomedical Science program will start in August 2016.

The program will offer two tracks:
  1. Medical School—to enhance your application through graduate science courses similar to the first year of medical school
  2. Research—to pursue a career in the life/biomedical sciences or research laboratories
Program curriculum, admission requirements, and application instructions will be available no later than March 15, 2016. By receiving this email, you will be notified automatically when the information is available.

Thank you for your continued interest.

MU-COM

Does MU-COM offer any type of linkages to the medical school? How can we receive more info. if we're interested. Thanks.

Excellent. Now MUCOM has another way to take applicant's money. No thanks MUCOM, you had your chance. You should have accepted me the first time around but thank you again for rejecting me. I learned a lot about your program.

Hey MUCOM, I am an applicant that was put on pre-interview hold back in November due to grades, have you already sent out decisions for those applications your reviewed last week?

Yes. If you did not receive a decision, either we did not get to your file or your grades have not been verified by AACOMAS. Please contact admissions to find out which.

MU-COM

Does MU-COM offer any type of linkages to the medical school? How can we receive more info. if we're interested. Thanks.

Yes. The BMS program is a COM program. The faculty are COM faculty who can recommend you to the admissions committee. Finally, those who earn a 3.50 or higher in the fall classes are automatically invited to interview in the spring.

Admissions

Excellent. Now MUCOM has another way to take applicant's money. No thanks MUCOM, you had your chance. You should have accepted me the first time around but thank you again for rejecting me. I learned a lot about your program.

Sorry it did not work out. We wish you well.

MU-COM

Reactions: 3 users
Yes. The BMS program is a COM program. The faculty are COM faculty who can recommend you to the admissions committee. Finally, those who earn a 3.50 or higher in the fall classes are automatically invited to interview in the spring.

Admissions

The website is not very helpful with the upcoming program. How can we apply and find more information? Thanks.

The website is not very helpful with the upcoming program. How can we apply and find more information? Thanks.

Please see the original post. The info will be available no later than 3/15.

Admissions

Yes. If you did not receive a decision, either we did not get to your file or your grades have not been verified by AACOMAS. Please contact admissions to find out which.

MU-COM
I was put on pre-interview hold on 1/19. Is the school still going to make a final decision for my file?

I know it's frustrating but I don't think your assessment of the school is fair. I'm pretty sure Marian is the only school who gives regular updates to applicants preinterview (holds for grades, hold for new MCAT). I'm sure you've applied to other schools this cycle. How many of them reached out to you in this manner? How many even reply to SDN posts? Most probably considered you once and silently rejected you. Atleast that's been my experience.

Reactions: 6 users
I was put on pre-interview hold on 1/19. Is the school still going to make a final decision for my file?

Yes. All files receive a final decision. Short meeting this week so 1/19 is next week.

Admissions

Hi @MU COM , I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but is March 4 the deadline to submit an update if you're waiting on the alternate list?

Hi @MU COM , I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but is March 4 the deadline to submit an update if you're waiting on the alternate list?

No. The March 4 deadline is for those who are completing their application.

Admissions

I have a question regarding clinical rotations for MUCOM or any current 3d years. What accommodations does MUCOM provide for students who have to rotate at a hospital away from Indianapolis? My main concern is housing costs for those outer roation sites.

I have a question regarding clinical rotations for MUCOM or any current 3d years. What accommodations does MUCOM provide for students who have to rotate at a hospital away from Indianapolis? My main concern is housing costs for those outer roation sites.

MU-COM arranges for and provides your housing.

Admissions

Anyone know how many more interviews MUCOM will be doing this cycle ?

Dear Admissions,

I just wanted to ask if there are still open seats in the fall class of 2020 since the deadline is today. Do you consider the highest MCAT score out of all attempts?

Thank you for your time and effort!

Dear Admissions,

I just wanted to ask if there are still open seats in the fall class of 2020 since the deadline is today. Do you consider the highest MCAT score out of all attempts?

Thank you for your time and effort!

Yes, there are seats in our class of 162 because there are interviews this weekend and in April.
We "take" your highest MCAT from a single test date, but trends between and among the scores are highly scrutinized.

Admissions

If we send a letter of intent here, is it at all binding?