Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dear @MU COM,

How often does the admissions committee meet to discuss applicants on the alternate list? And when should we expect the most movement? I'm assuming it will be in early May after the tuition deposit deadline?

Members don't see this ad.

Dear @MU COM,

How often does the admissions committee meet to discuss applicants on the alternate list? And when should we expect the most movement? I'm assuming it will be in early May after the tuition deposit deadline?

The committee will start the review process in mid-April with notifications starting early May.

Watch for an email from MU-COM asking your to CONFIRM your interest to remain on the alternate list. This email will come late March to early April.

Admissions

Reactions: 1 user
I have an interview this Friday and I'm flying out right after my interview, I'm wondering is there a place for us to store our belongings and luggages during the interview? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview this Friday and I'm flying out right after my interview, I'm wondering is there a place for us to store our belongings and luggages during the interview? Thanks!

Yes, there is.

Admissions

I interviewed here last Friday and I was really impressed with the school, their curriculum and all the people there! Everyone was very friendly and courteous and the students who took us on a tour were really generous with answering all the questions we had about the school and coursework. The sim labs were awesome, I really liked that 1st and 2nd year students use them as part of the curriculum rather than waiting until their 3rd and 4th years like other schools. I think they have a really good rationale thing their curriculum and its backed up by data and the most senior class' COMLEX scores. I really liked how they track your competencies for each skill based on your answers to individual questions on exams. They seem to really stress having the best technology and data to support your education.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know when our white coat ceremony would be, or when it usually is? I know its super early in advance but I'm from Philly and my parent's are trying to put in vacation times for work and all that with move in. Thanks!

Does anyone know when our white coat ceremony would be, or when it usually is? I know its super early in advance but I'm from Philly and my parent's are trying to put in vacation times for work and all that with move in. Thanks!

Sunday, August 7, 2016.

MU-COM

Can you clarify what you mean?

Admissions

Sorry for the confusion. For those of us who haven't heard pre-interview decision yet, when do we expect to hear from you (given that April 2nd is the last interview day)?

Sorry for the confusion. For those of us who haven't heard pre-interview decision yet, when do we expect to hear from you (given that April 2nd is the last interview day)?

Our goal is that all applicants will receive a preliminary, if not final, interview decision by March 23.

Admissions

ANNOUNCING: Graduate Program in Biomedical Science

The administration and faculty of the Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM) is pleased to announce the start of its graduate program in Biomedical Science. The Master of Science in Biomedical Science program will start in August 2016.

The program will offer two tracks:
  1. Medical School—to enhance your application through graduate science courses similar to the first year of medical school
  2. Research—to pursue a career in the life/biomedical sciences or research laboratories
Program curriculum, admission requirements, and application instructions will be available no later than March 15, 2016. By receiving this email, you will be notified automatically when the information is available.

Thank you for your continued interest.

MU-COM

I recently tried emailing for more information about this program and haven't received a response. I'd like more information about interviewing and acceptance to the osteopathic program while in the masters program, as well as deadlines for the application.

I recently tried emailing for more information about this program and haven't received a response. I'd like more information about interviewing and acceptance to the osteopathic program while in the masters program, as well as deadlines for the application.

See the attachment for program info.
  • Applicants in the "medical school track" who earn a 3.50 in the fall semester will be granted a spring interview for the DO program if completed applications are submitted.
  • The BMS application deadline is June 15, but we will accept applications on a “space available basis” afterwards.
  • Previous fall 2016 DO applicants, who meet minimum metrics, will be able to use their medical school application for the BMS program; instructions will be sent today.
  • Non-DO applicants can apply using the online graduate application at http://www.marian.edu/apply-graduate-program.
Hope this helps,
MU-COM

Attachments

• MU-COM_Biomedical Sciences.pdf
    389.2 KB · Views: 132
Members don't see this ad :)
  • Applicants in the "medical school track" who earn a 3.50 in the fall semester will be granted a spring interview for the DO program if completed applications are submitted.
  • The BMS application deadline is June 15, but we will accept applications on a “space available basis” afterwards.
  • Previous fall 2016 DO applicants, who meet minimum metrics, will be able to use their medical school application for the BMS program; instructions will be sent today.
  • Non-DO applicants can apply using the online graduate application at http://www.marian.edu/apply-graduate-program.
Hope this helps,
MU-COM

It does, thank you! However, it says that the minimum MCAT and GPA are 18 and 2.75 for admission into the biomedical program. When you speak of minimum metrics, do you require the minimum MCAT and GPA for direct admission to the DO program in order to gain an interview and admittance, or are you referring to the minimum stats mentioned above (from the biomedical program)?

It does, thank you! However, it says that the minimum MCAT and GPA are 18 and 2.75 for admission into the biomedical program. When you speak of minimum metrics, do you require the minimum MCAT and GPA for direct admission to the DO program in order to gain an interview and admittance, or are you referring to the minimum stats mentioned above (from the biomedical program)?

Previous DO applicants who have the minimum metrics for BMS admission: 2.75 and 18.

Admissions

I completed a primary but never a secondary (I did receive a secondary) can I still submit that information for the Masters program or do I have to re-apply? Also, as far as a "guaranteed" interview... What are the chances the committee will consider matriculation for those students? 22,000 is a great investment especially after working hard for the 3.5 and end up not matriculating. Thank you for your response.

Hope this helps,
MU-COM

When will application instructions for this program be sent out? I haven't received any information about how to apply. Thanks.

When will application instructions for this program be sent out? I haven't received any information about how to apply. Thanks.

Application invites/instructions have been sent. If you did not receive one, please check your spam folder. Finally, an invite would not have been sent if we do not have your MCAT score.

If you believe an error has occurred, please email [email protected].

Admissions

Hello MU-COM,

I was recently put on the wait list and was really hoping on getting in (I loved the school). I am however, also looking at backup options, specifically the masters program Marian offers, for the following year if I don't make it off the wait list. Will my application to the masters program have any effect on my decision to be moved up the wait list? I worry that when it comes time to re-evaluate my application from the wait list, the adcom might see that I already have "plans" for the following year and use that as a reason to gloss over my app/not pull me off the wait list.

Sorry if this is a silly question, thank you!

Application invites/instructions have been sent. If you did not receive one, please check your spam folder. Finally, an invite would not have been sent if we do not have your MCAT score.

Admissions
I received the email for application instructions, but I can no longer find the information page regarding the program on your website.

I received the email for application instructions, but I can no longer find the information page regarding the program on your website.

Program info is not on the website yet. See the attachment.

Admissions

Attachments

• MU-COM_Biomedical Sciences.pdf
    389.2 KB · Views: 98
Hello MU-COM,

I was recently put on the wait list and was really hoping on getting in (I loved the school). I am however, also looking at backup options, specifically the masters program Marian offers, for the following year if I don't make it off the wait list. Will my application to the masters program have any effect on my decision to be moved up the wait list? I worry that when it comes time to re-evaluate my application from the wait list, the adcom might see that I already have "plans" for the following year and use that as a reason to gloss over my app/not pull me off the wait list.

Sorry if this is a silly question, thank you!

Not a silly question. It will not affect your chances of admission to the DO program.

MU-COM

Will the Biomedical Science Masters students be in the same classes as the DO students? (As in the same classrooms at the same time)

Will the Biomedical Science Masters students be in the same classes as the DO students? (As in the same classrooms at the same time)

No. The DO lectures which are offered in the morning, are systems based. The BMS lectures, which will be offered from 4:30-6:30 PM, are discipline based.

Admissions

Admissions
Thank you!

Hi @MU COM, I was recently waitlisted and was asked to fill out the response form. I'm just wondering what should I put down for the Date Address Above is Effective section if that is and will be my permanent address. Thanks!

Hi @MU COM , I was wondering approximately how many seats are available for the master's program? Thank you!

So I just got my pchem exam back... What's the threshold of getting an acceptance revoked...?:arghh:

Hi @MU COM, I was recently waitlisted and was asked to fill out the response form. I'm just wondering what should I put down for the Date Address Above is Effective section if that is and will be my permanent address. Thanks!

You can list any address. The best would be a permanent address so we can get in touch with you by mail, if necessary.

Admissions

So I just got my pchem exam back... What's the threshold of getting an acceptance revoked...?:arghh:

One exam is not so bad. It happens. If you are truly concerned about your overall grade, please contact Bryan.

MU-COM

Reactions: 1 users
@MU COM

I submitted an update awhile back and I didn't get a response when I submitted it. Should I submit it again?

@MU COM

An activity update - during our interview day we were told we would get one activity update if we were wait listed. I submitted it and didn't get a response, I was just wondering if I should double check if it got filed or if I should resubmit it.

Last edited:
@MU COM

For those applying to the medical school track, receive the 3.5, and get the interview... What happens next? What factors play into ultimately being accepted into the medical school? Like I said, $22,000 (not including housing etc.) is a great investment and most of us want to matriculate into the medical school. The program is also accepting very low MCAT scores and I am sure that may play into the decision making. Unfortunately, most schools are looking for numbers (this may not be the case for MUCOM). I understand this will be the first inaugural class but more information regarding the program and medical school track would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your response.

@MU COM

I am interviewing the second of April and am nervous about available seats. Approximately how many seats are still open?

I just applied to the masters in biomedical sciences program (also a DO applicant this cycle). How long will it take to hear back from admissions? Also, I didn't receive a confirmation email after submitting the masters application, and there was also no application fee, is that intended?

Thank you :)

I have a question that might be better suited for the Financial office, but there may be a few other Canucks here that might be able to shed some light on how they did their student loans. What province are you from and how did the dispersement schedule and bank loans work into financing med school at Marian?Also, for MUCOM, what should we do if our dispersement schedule for loans is later than the tuition schedule? Any other info that any of the other international students have for financing/scholarships etc would help a ton!

I have a question that might be better suited for the Financial office, but there may be a few other Canucks here that might be able to shed some light on how they did their student loans. What province are you from and how did the dispersement schedule and bank loans work into financing med school at Marian?Also, for MUCOM, what should we do if our dispersement schedule for loans is later than the tuition schedule? Any other info that any of the other international students have for financing/scholarships etc would help a ton!

Hey are you part of the Canadian Osteopathic Med. Student group on FB? A lot of current Can. DO students on there, always willing to help provide info.

Did anyone from the April 1st and 2nd interview receive any news yet? I thought that we were suppose to receive some news this friday since the committee met on thursday.

I interviewed that weekend and did not receive any email. I'd also like to know if anyone received any news. I believe they mentioned that if our case wasn't reviewed they'd send us an email on Friday anyway. I will email on Monday to check the status just to be sure.

Can anyone confirm that they said they would email us either way Friday?

Last edited:
I interviewed that weekend and did not receive any email. I'd also like to know if anyone received any news. I believe they mentioned that if our case wasn't reviewed they'd send us an email on Friday anyway. I will email on Monday to check the status just to be sure.

Can anyone confirm that they said they would email us either way Friday?

I remember Brian saying the same thing. That we would receive an email, regardless of whether our file is reviewed this week or next.

When I was waiting for a verdict I would receive emails every Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Accepted tonight!! This is easily my favorite school I've been to and I am beyond thrilled. Hope others are receiving good news as well!!

Accepted tonight!! This is easily my favorite school I've been to and I am beyond thrilled. Hope others are receiving good news as well!!

Congratulations! Did you interview on April 1st, 2nd weekend?