Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How often, if ever, does Marian offer seats to the following year if they're filled up? also, do they ever grant deferments to the next matriculation year?

Members don't see this ad.

@MU COM
My letter of rec was down sent through virtual eval by my pre-med committee 10 days ago and I have not gotten a notification that it has been received. I was under the impression that it would be marked as received after being sent but may take a few more days to get downloaded by you all. Should I have my committee resend the letter through virtual eval? They have assured me that it was sent correctly. Thank you for your time.

Does anyone know when we may receive interview invites from MUCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
interviews start Sept 11 (MU COM posted this date on the first page of this thread) so they may start sending invites within the next few weeks

for the question "Are you interested in practicing medicine in Indiana?", what are your thoughts? Personally I would have no problem practicing medicine in Indiana but I have no ties to the state other than it is where I took my MCAT and adjacent to my home state

Reactions: 1 users
for the question "Are you interested in practicing medicine in Indiana?", what are your thoughts? Personally I would have no problem practicing medicine in Indiana but I have no ties to the state other than it is where I took my MCAT and adjacent to my home state
I'm really not sure either. Don't think anyone would say "No, I don't want to practice in Indiana, but please let me into your school." lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
When did you submit? I added Marian to my list on AACOMAS and resubmitted on 7/18 but haven't heard anything regarding secondaries...
I would call them. I called yesterday and was sent a secondary hours later.

When did you submit? I added Marian to my list on AACOMAS and resubmitted on 7/18 but haven't heard anything regarding secondaries...
I was verified on 6/8, Application was received 6/17, Secondary received 7/27

Members don't see this ad :)
I was verified by AACOMAS on 7/15 and I received on email on 7/20 from MU-COM saying that they had my primary application. And then secondary on the 27th.

Last edited:
Spoke with admissions this morning. They sent out the first batch of "complete" emails this morning. He said it might take some time to reach your email.

Spoke with admissions this morning. They sent out the first batch of "complete" emails this morning. He said it might take some time to reach your email.
I got one this morning!

My university does not do committee letters but it does have Pre-Professional advisors. However, I never got a letter from one. Can I still substitute a science professor? The website says "If an advisor or committee is not available, a letter from another science professor will be accepted as a substitute."

My university does not do committee letters but it does have Pre-Professional advisors. However, I never got a letter from one. Can I still substitute a science professor? The website says "If an advisor or committee is not available, a letter from another science professor will be accepted as a substitute."
Yes.
My school had Pre-Health advisers, who never write letters for students. I had science LoRs only.

Yes.
My school had Pre-Health advisers, who never write letters for students. I had science LoRs only.
So then do I put 'no' where it asks if you have a Pre-health advisor?

AACOMAS verified June 24th. Secondary received: July 11th. Complete: Today! July 29th.

Hello everyone,

I want to wish you all good luck. I was in your shoes last year and was accepted to MUCOM. Orientation is around the corner so I wanted to come back here to remind myself of the struggles of the application process and how grateful I am to be attending orientation. I also wanted to give back to this thread for helping me so much last year. MUCOM admissions was very helpful but I also found that the student responses helped me in a different way. If you have any questions about the process from a student POV, feel free to ask.

Reactions: 5 users
@MU COM are secondaries still going out on tuesdays? my mcat scores became official last tuesday but still no secondary invite

We typically download new apps and recommendations on Mondays, but not always. Then processing can take a few days to a week--depending on workload, meetings, travel, vacation, and more. Your patience is appreciated.

Admissions

Like @gatefire , I am starting school at Marian this fall (orientation is only 4 days away!!) and just wanted to stop by and wish you all good luck with your applications! I remember being where you guys were just a year ago and the waiting game isn't fun. But try to enjoy the ride. Looking back it was an amazing experience going to interviews and experiencing different cities. I know SDN and @MU COM in particular were so helpful for me so if you guys have any questions don't hesitate to ask on here or in a PM!

Reactions: 3 users
Like @gatefire , I am starting school at Marian this fall (orientation is only 4 days away!!) and just wanted to stop by and wish you all good luck with your applications! I remember being where you guys were just a year ago and the waiting game isn't fun. But try to enjoy the ride. Looking back it was an amazing experience going to interviews and experiencing different cities. I know SDN and @MU COM in particular were so helpful for me so if you guys have any questions don't hesitate to ask on here or in a PM!
What made you decide to choose MU? How do you feel about being one of the first classes through the COM?

What made you decide to choose MU? How do you feel about being one of the first classes through the COM?
First, I have a lot of friends and family that live in Indiana (in particular Indianapolis), so that was a huge relief to be somewhere where I had support. Also, I did a masters program at IUPUI before applying to medical school so I am really familiar with Indy. Knowing people and the city before ever starting class was a great starting point for me. Second, as you can tell by @MU COM's frequent participation on this thread, the faculty are very helpful and encouraging from what I can tell (I don't actually start for 4 more days lol). I have a few friends who are second and third years at Marian and they all spoke about how supportive everyone is. That was big for me. Also, I feel that Marian will have great clinical rotation sites, as it is only the 2nd medical school in Indiana and is located in Indianapolis. Finally, I really feel like they have a great curriculum and will prepare you to do well on Step1/Level1. Also, because it is a new school, the equipment, buildings/rooms, etc. are really really nice. So, that is an added bonus.

tl;dr: Location, faculty, rotation sites, curriculum, and facilities are all awesome. I really am lucky to get an acceptance here.

Does anyone know when we might hear about interview invites?

How many LORs do we need because I have a committee letter and a letter from a physician? Would that suffice because I believe the site says you need 3?

@MU COM Do all lectures require attendance? Do a lot of students commute from surrounding areas? A Marian student told me he commutes from Carmel, IN but I don't see how this would be feasible! Any replies from Marian students or other applicants would be appreciated also.

How often, if ever, does Marian offer seats to the following year if they're filled up? also, do they ever grant deferments to the next matriculation year?

We do not offer deferrals or seats in a future class.

Admissions

@MU COM
My letter of rec was down sent through virtual eval by my pre-med committee 10 days ago and I have not gotten a notification that it has been received. I was under the impression that it would be marked as received after being sent but may take a few more days to get downloaded by you all. Should I have my committee resend the letter through virtual eval? They have assured me that it was sent correctly. Thank you for your time.

We are running a bit behind this year. We appreciate your patience while we catch up.

Admissions

Does anyone know when we may receive interview invites from MUCOM?

Interview invites will start in 2 days, but the file review process is taking longer this year. So, they will be slow at first ... we will pick up steam on August 24th when vacations are over.

Admissions

EDIT: Invites start 8/7. From 8/8 to 8/23, few, if any, will be sent due to the director's vacation. We will resume on 8/24.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Yes, a 2nd hard science LOR will be accepted in place of a committee/advisor letter.

Admissions

So then do I put 'no' where it asks if you have a Pre-health advisor?

The question is separate from the letters you submit. If you have an advisor, please complete with "yes."

Admissions

How many LORs do we need because I have a committee letter and a letter from a physician? Would that suffice because I believe the site says you need 3?

We require three letters: advisor/committee, science, and physician.

Admissions

@MU COM Do all lectures require attendance? Do a lot of students commute from surrounding areas? A Marian student told me he commutes from Carmel, IN but I don't see how this would be feasible! Any replies from Marian students or other applicants would be appreciated also.

Other than labs and clinical classes, MU-COM does not require attendance. It is encouraged though. We offer lecture capture also.

Admissions

P.S. We have students who commute ... some from as far away as Cincinnati.

Essentially, the question asks about gaps in education or employment. We will assume that you have already listed the individual jobs elsewhere in the application. Accordingly, please explain the reason(s) for the gaps.

Admissions

I have a following up question. There is no gap in my education (degree program) and no gap in my employment history.
However, there were about 4-5 months gap between my education and my work. I spent the time looking for a job and did some volunteering. Should I mention it in my application?

Just want to get clarification for this question. Thanks!

I have a following up question. There is no gap in my education (degree program) and no gap in my employment history.
However, there were about 4-5 months gap between my education and my work. I spent the time looking for a job and did some volunteering. Should I mention it in my application?

Just want to get clarification for this question. Thanks!

Please explain what you just stated.

Admissions

I received an email saying that all of my letters are in. However on the website it says that none of my letters are complete?

I received an email saying that all of my letters are in. However on the website it says that none of my letters are complete?

That is unlikely. Could it say that we have received your letters? For more help, please contact admissions or PM here.

Admissions

Secondary turned in and complete! Haven't received a complete email though.