Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There were 2 dates early September (in 1 week....... ><) or 2 dates early October. Chose to interview October. Yes, it pained me to interview one month later. However, even though it is 1 month later, it is ONLY two interview dates later.. Plus I want to be ready for the MMI, practice for it, do mock MMI's as I have only had 2 traditional interviews and I feel this is a better decision. Hopefully the right one, i just really love this school from what ive learned about it
Seems like the smart choice. From my interview experiences last year, I preferred the MMI. Part of the reasons that I chose MUCOM was the fact that they used the MMI format. I felt that the MMI interviews is a better attempt to assess a person true character through scenarios than asking a bunch of question about myself in which I had answers ready. As MUCOM admissions stated, the MMI format has changed for MUCOM and I can't help you guys because I don't know what the changes are either. General advice would be to take your time to really think about the scenarios, your answers, and be comfortable in expressing your thoughts. The interviews are designed to gather information on personalities for a good fit not your academic worthiness. Good luck to you all!

P.S. Just because you have an early interview doesn't mean you'll get in anywhere. One of the guys I interviewed with last year had 5-6 interview from early to late in the cycle and he was not accepted anywhere. Take the time to prepare yourself mentally for these layered questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got an email thanking me for scheduling my admissions interview....is this a glitch? i was only complete yesterday!

Unfortunately, those emails were mistakenly sent by a staff member. The correct email should have been "file complete, assigned to screener" for interview decision.

Admissions

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, those emails were mistakenly sent by a staff member. The correct email should have been "file complete, assigned to screener" for interview decision.

Admissions

What is the time range for the interview or no interview decision usually? 3 days? 1 week? 2 weeks?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the time range for the interview or no interview decision usually? 3 days? 1 week? 2 weeks?

An interview decision typically takes about 3 weeks; however, processing can take longer at certain times of the year. Finally, as stated before, some screeners work faster than others. Thanks for your patience.

Admissions

Just want to let MU Admission knows that they're doing a great job right now after a few mishaps earlier in the process.

Those hiccups are uncharacteristic for us, so we appreciate the shout out.

MU-COM

I just got an email saying that I'm still not complete because they don't have my LORs and I completed my secondary 7/15! I logged into the portal and my LORs were submitted to AACOMAS on 7/23! Does anyone know what is going on? Has anyone else had this problem?

I just got an email saying that I'm still not complete because they don't have my LORs and I completed my secondary 7/15! I logged into the portal and my LORs were submitted to AACOMAS on 7/23! Does anyone know what is going on??

Please see the earlier posts with instructions on how to resolve this matter by contacting admissions.

MU-COM

Please see the earlier posts with instructions on how to resolve this matter by contacting admissions.

MU-COM

Thank you for your response. I called 8/21 and received an email about the guidelines but will call again today. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist in the process.

Estimate of completed dates being reviewed/notified of interview decisions this week? Thank you!!

I just got an email saying that I'm still not complete because they don't have my LORs and I completed my secondary 7/15! I logged into the portal and my LORs were submitted to AACOMAS on 7/23! Does anyone know what is going on? Has anyone else had this problem?

something similar happened to me. I emailed them back and got it resolved within 5 minutes. Best Admissions Staff ever

Seems like the smart choice. From my interview experiences last year, I preferred the MMI. Part of the reasons that I chose MUCOM was the fact that they used the MMI format. I felt that the MMI interviews is a better attempt to assess a person true character through scenarios than asking a bunch of question about myself in which I had answers ready. As MUCOM admissions stated, the MMI format has changed for MUCOM and I can't help you guys because I don't know what the changes are either. General advice would be to take your time to really think about the scenarios, your answers, and be comfortable in expressing your thoughts. The interviews are designed to gather information on personalities for a good fit not your academic worthiness. Good luck to you all!

P.S. Just because you have an early interview doesn't mean you'll get in anywhere. One of the guys I interviewed with last year had 5-6 interview from early to late in the cycle and he was not accepted anywhere. Take the time to prepare yourself mentally for these layered questions.

Thanks man, really appreciated the advice, and glad to hear someone agrees with my decision.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Despite some improvements academically and EC-wise, I'm placed on hold again like last year. Hopefully this time, I'll get a chance. This has been one of my top choices since last year. Trying to stay positive :D

When were you guys complete? I was complete on 8/7 and still haven't heard anything....hoping this week! This is my top choice school....

II coming up this Saturday 9/12.

Looking forward to visiting the campus in-person and the of course the mini-med interview format! If anyone has any last minute tips or pointers, please do let us know.

Cheers (=

Reactions: 3 users

Looking forward to visiting the campus in-person and the of course the mini-med interview format! If anyone has any last minute tips or pointers, please do let us know.

Cheers (=

knock 'em dead!

II tonight! Going to have to politely decline, good luck to all! Hope one of you get it!

Srsly Ive had 2 two early interviews and zero acceptances. On a better note, II today! Complete 8/17. 3.7cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, 505 MCAT, CA resident. Im really excited, this will be my first visit to Indiana.

II tonight! So excited!! Complete 8/7 cGPA 3.47, sGPA 3.68 505 MCAT. Marian is my top choice :)). Scheduled my interview for 10/2.

II this morning! Complete email 8/17, cGPA 3.63, sGPA 3,63, 30 MCAT

Cheers (=
I'm also going to be there 9/12!! Anyone want to meet up and check out campus on 9/11?

Got an email last night saying I'm on hold for an interview. Kind of a bummer but nice of them to actually update me. I feel like I'm on hold at other schools and they just won't tell me.

Got an email last night saying I'm on hold for an interview. Kind of a bummer but nice of them to actually update me. I feel like I'm on hold at other schools and they just won't tell me.

Sorry to hear that! do you mind sharing when you were complete?

I got an email this morning saying I was rejected from admissions because I did not show up for my interview today. But my interview is scheduled for October. I've sent emails back and called. I'm freaking out!!! I had already scheduled a hotel and everything!

I interviewed yesterday, 9/11. I felt like I did pretty well on one MMI and the traditional but only average on the other MMI. Hopefully my results will flatten out and I'll hear good news in a week!

Anyone else interview that day?

I got an email this morning saying I was rejected from admissions because I did not show up for my interview today. But my interview is scheduled for October. I've sent emails back and called. I'm freaking out!!! I had already scheduled a hotel and everything!

First: I think this was an errant email. They sent it to you on a Saturday (when most admissions offices are closed) and mistakes happen. I would relax, you probably won't get an answer until they reopen on Monday.

Second:Go Barca!

First: I think this was an errant email. They sent it to you on a Saturday (when most admissions offices are closed) and mistakes happen. I would relax, you probably won't get an answer until they reopen on Monday.

Second:Go Barca!

Thanks for the reassurance. In my hectic freak out session, I forgot that admissions are closed on the weekends, and they won't return any of my calls until Monday. Can't help but worry, but I'll just have to wait until I talk to someone! I'll forgive you for the Barca comment, just this once :laugh:

II this morning! Complete email on 8/21, mcat 508, cGPA 3.64 sGPA 3.59

II this morning too! Complete 9/1/15. I'm really looking forward to this one. :D

Any thoughts from those who interviewed last weekend?

Yes, any great insights into the MMI??

Just relax and have fun with it. I can't give too much away, but you'll be fine! I didn't do anything to prepare for it, and I thought it went well.

Yes, any great insights into the MMI??

Yes I agree. Do your best to relax and have fun. It will be over before you know it and afterwards you'll be mad at yourself for getting so worked up about it

Can any MU-COM students shed some light on things they have found especially helpful while preparing studies, early clinical exposure etc? Much appreciated!

MU-COM is one of the newer schools I am applying to this cycle. With their accreditation coming in 2017, it indeed is slightly harder to gauge what to expect when the first graduating class undergoes their match.

EDIT: Could anyone also share their experience with cadaver lab? (if any)

Last edited:
Hey everybody! I am new to SDN, but I interviewed on 9/12. Hoping for the good news soon!

Hey everybody! I am new to SDN, but I interviewed on 9/12. Hoping for the good news soon!
Welcome to SDN! and hope you enjoy your stay in neurotic land lol.
If you'd like, would you mind sharing a bit about your interview day experience, the facilities you enjoyed and the date which you completed your secondary application?

Interview Day was great! It starts with a quick overview with everyone, then you get divided into three groups. One group interviews, while one does Q and A with some current OMS-2 and 3's, and the third group gets a tour of the facilities, which are very modern and nice!! I really liked the sim center and OSCE suite set up here at MU-COM. After rotating three times around, everyone comes back together and you receive a presentation about MU-COM and what it offers. This was very informative!

I was complete on 8/7, II on 8/28, and interviewed last week! We were told that we should expect to hear anywhere from one week to four weeks. Hoping to hear some good news tomorrow!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Can any MU-COM students shed some light on things they have found especially helpful while preparing studies, early clinical exposure etc? Much appreciated!

MU-COM is one of the newer schools I am applying to this cycle. With their accreditation coming in 2017, it indeed is slightly harder to gauge what to expect when the first graduating class undergoes their match.

EDIT: Could anyone also share their experience with cadaver lab? (if any)
Not sure how much you can really prepare for med school. Everything you know will be covered in 1 week maybe 2 if you've taken a lot of premed classes. Everything you don't know is from that point on. It is literally a flood of information coming at you at full blast. Many students did well on their first test so it's not impossible.

With that in mind, cadaver dissection is very fast and there's a number of sections that are difficult. Depending on the cadaver that you'll get (it's all about luck), you will have an easier or more difficult time identifying structures. You will be coming into lab during your non-lab days to see all of the different variations in the cadavers as well as the pathologies that may affect the dissection/structures.

I have the utmost faith that MUCOM will be accredited. I had the option of attending another school that was accredited but the attentiveness of the dean, admissions, teachers, and staffing made me feel that I fit in here more than anywhere else. At this point of the process, students should find a school that fits them. My experiences at MUCOM has been wonderful and I know that our educators are continually trying to make it better. I will be honest and say that location was also an important factor for me. Downtown Indianapolis is very nice and accessible. Definitely a big city with a small town feel. GOOD LUCK!

Anyone one else here interview recently and receive an email that there file has not been reviewed and will be held back for another meeting? I think we were told that after interviews we should here about status (accepted, reject, or waitlisted) within 1 week?

Anyone one else here interview recently and receive an email that there file has not been reviewed and will be held back for another meeting? I think we were told that after interviews we should here about status (accepted, reject, or waitlisted) within 1 week?
I received the same email. And they said we would hear back within 1-3 weeks. I don't think anyone received a response in the first week so you are still in the game :)