Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
secondary recived as well! does anyone know if there was a screen or does everyone get one

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary over here too. I might have read wrong somewhere, but didn't MUCOM have their first class graduate this year? Is there a match list anywhere? Their COMLEX step I pass rate was impressive.

Secondary over here too. I might have read wrong somewhere, but didn't MUCOM have their first class graduate this year? Is there a match list anywhere? Their COMLEX step I pass rate was impressive.
I think their inaugural class is graduating next year! They opened in 2013 if I am not mistaken.

Reactions: 1 user
Just submitted the secondary! Staying in that 750 character limit was hard...apparently I'm a really verbose person. :(

What are the gpa and mcat minimum requirements?

any 4th year that can comment on the schools rotations experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
I meet their cut-off requirements, but I haven't received a secondary yet... Should I contact them?

When were you verified? They send secondaries out in waves so you will likely get it soon if you met the requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So there's no match list/ clinical rotation list?
the first class is graduating in 2017 so no match list, but someone should have a clinical rotation site list, other than the one posted on their website

I have been trying to call them but no one is answering the phone... :(

I have been trying to call them but no one is answering the phone... :(
Did you try emailing them? I actually emailed the admissions officers, and both were helpful and got back to me really quick :)

Did you try emailing them? I actually emailed the admissions officers, and both were helpful and got back to me really quick :)

Seconded. Their admission staff got back to my email today in literally twenty minutes. I'm super impressed!

Has anyone received a complete email? I feel like it's been awhile since I submitted the secondary.

Nope, just the received email like 18 days ago

Are there any current MU-COM students looking at this thread? If so, I'd like to ask you a few questions re: the climate of the school, culture and lifestyle of the area and surroundings? Thanks :)

What did you all put for the last secondary question? "Please share any other relevant information that you would like the MU-COM Admissions Committee to know about you."

Everything that I have to say is either in my primary or secondary...

What did you all put for the last secondary question? "Please share any other relevant information that you would like the MU-COM Admissions Committee to know about you."

Everything that I have to say is either in my primary or secondary...
I forget, is it optional or do they make you put something?

Would I be stupid to answer no to the practice in Indiana question even if its true?

Would I be stupid to answer no to the practice in Indiana question even if its true?
I don't think so, if it's your honest answer. I guess it might hurt you a bit, but i think it's better to just be honest about it than to bs something and then have them press you on it in an interview

Anybody else still waiting for a secondary? I submitted early June, verified mid-June.

Anybody else still waiting for a secondary? I submitted early June, verified mid-June.

This may seem like an obvious question(please, no offense), but I've seen it help before... Have you checked your spam folder?

I actually haven't received anything at all from them. Do they at least send out a confirmation email?

Hi all! Current student at MU-COM in my 4th and final year. Would be happy to answer your questions here but feel free to PM. Good luck with this application cycle, everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
@pinkpolkadoc where do you do your rotations? How is the setup? Because I know MUCOM is a relatively new school...

Generally, we were divided into two groups based on two major hospital systems - either St. Vincent or Community Health Network. The truth is, I've rotated at both hospital systems plus Hendricks Regional (one of my favorites!) so it's not a hard and fast rule. I think they are working towards a more streamlined system, particularly when it comes to choosing electives. From what I've seen, adding another group of students (third years) has causes some issues with rotations changing at the last minute and being shuffled around but overall things have work out pretty smoothly. I personally haven't had too many bad experiences. Most preceptors are eager to teach and want us to learn as much as possible. Obviously your experience varies based on where you are placed, whether you are competing with other students/residents for cases, etc. For instance, I did my OB-Gyn rotation at a smaller community-based hospital and delivered probably 12-15 babies (with supervision obviously), first assisted C-sections, and performed a variety of procedures during my month. Some of my friends did their rotation at a larger hospital with multiple residency programs and got far less hands-on experience. It all just depends which I think you will find across all schools. Unfortunately it is impossible to completely standardize our experiences but MU-COM is continuing to make improvements. Hope that helps!

Generally, we were divided into two groups based on two major hospital systems - either St. Vincent or Community Health Network. The truth is, I've rotated at both hospital systems plus Hendricks Regional (one of my favorites!) so it's not a hard and fast rule. I think they are working towards a more streamlined system, particularly when it comes to choosing electives. From what I've seen, adding another group of students (third years) has causes some issues with rotations changing at the last minute and being shuffled around but overall things have work out pretty smoothly. I personally haven't had too many bad experiences. Most preceptors are eager to teach and want us to learn as much as possible. Obviously your experience varies based on where you are placed, whether you are competing with other students/residents for cases, etc. For instance, I did my OB-Gyn rotation at a smaller community-based hospital and delivered probably 12-15 babies (with supervision obviously), first assisted C-sections, and performed a variety of procedures during my month. Some of my friends did their rotation at a larger hospital with multiple residency programs and got far less hands-on experience. It all just depends which I think you will find across all schools. Unfortunately it is impossible to completely standardize our experiences but MU-COM is continuing to make improvements. Hope that helps!

That actually helps a lot! Thank you for that! The only thing I wish they had was a match list (wish they got established a year earlier) so I could see how competitive their students are in terms of residency. But I mean if you do well on your boards and classes than any viable residency is within each right?

Please share any other relevant information that you would like the MU-COM Admissions Committee to know about you.

what can we share for this question? not sure if I should answer

Please share any other relevant information that you would like the MU-COM Admissions Committee to know about you.

what can we share for this question? not sure if I should answer
If you don't have anything super insightful or important that isn't elsewhere on your app, I would leave it blank. Just my two cents.

Anyone else not from Indiana having a hard time with:
Are you interested in practicing medicine in Indiana?

OOS Applicants, how are you approaching this one?

I just talked about how I am a Midwesterner and want to stay in the Midwest, and Indiana has a low of underserved counties so I would like to practice there to be apart of that.

Still trying to write it while I'm in this airport terminal but I'm stressing how I'm driven by opportunity and mention residency programs in Indiana (I may change this I'm just trying to find something to do during this layover )

I was just upfront with them. I told them that I don't really have any ties to Indiana, but that I'm super open as to where I end up settling down and practicing, and that if I liked it there while I was in medical school, then I would be interested in staying there.

Reactions: 2 users
I just talked about how I am a Midwesterner and want to stay in the Midwest, and Indiana has a low of underserved counties so I would like to practice there to be apart of that.

Still trying to write it while I'm in this airport terminal but I'm stressing how I'm driven by opportunity and mention residency programs in Indiana (I may change this I'm just trying to find something to do during this layover )

I was just upfront with them. I told them that I don't really have any ties to Indiana, but that I'm super open as to where I end up settling down and practicing, and that if I liked it there while I was in medical school, then I would be interested in staying there.

Thanks guys!! Super helpful!!