Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just talked about how I am a Midwesterner and want to stay in the Midwest, and Indiana has a low of underserved counties so I would like to practice there to be apart of that.

Which states are you guys residents in??

Members don't see this ad.

I was just upfront with them. I told them that I don't really have any ties to Indiana, but that I'm super open as to where I end up settling down and practicing, and that if I liked it there while I was in medical school, then I would be interested in staying there.

Sometimes honesty is the best policy

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I'm from IL and have scribed in the ED at two hospitals in IN. Majority of the docs lived in Chicago and commuted so I said I would do the same if I were to practice in IN.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from IL and have scribed in the ED at two hospitals in IN. Majority of the docs lived in Chicago and commuted so I said I would do the same if I were to practice in IN.

You think I can say I'll commute from Los Angeles? :laugh:

Really excited to hear back from this school. Was crushed when I was put on a pre-interview hold last year only to get denied an interview later on. Hopefully with some new app updates, I'll get a little luckier this time around. Best of luck to everyone!

Really excited to hear back from this school. Was crushed when I was put on a pre-interview hold last year only to get denied an interview later on. Hopefully with some new app updates, I'll get a little luckier this time around. Best of luck to everyone!
Congratulations!! Would you mind if I PM you a couple of questions re: your app improvements?

Anyone else have an incomplete next to LOR's? I submitted them through AACOMAS and every other school has them. Submitted 07/18

Anyone else have an incomplete next to LOR's? I submitted them through AACOMAS and every other school has them. Submitted 07/18

Same and I submitted 7/4.

I think they said on the website that they only download letters of rec once a week, and I'm guessing that it's taking a while because a bunch of people applied.

Reactions: 2 users
I think they said on the website that they only download letters of rec once a week, and I'm guessing that it's taking a while because a bunch of people applied.

Yup. I'm in the same boat. Submitted 07/17

UPDATE:

All applications verified as of 7/22 have been downloaded and processed with an initial decision regarding a supplemental. Decisions will be: invite, reject, or hold due to missing MCAT scores.

Letter of recommendation (LOR) review started this week, but letters are not read until your supplemental application has been submitted. Once the supplemental has been submitted, the LOR review process can take at least three (3) weeks. [On average, we receive over 700 letters per week.] Letters appear in the portal only after the LOR review process is complete. You can check the status in the portal if you have been invited to complete a supplemental.

Finally, application screening for interview will begin on Monday with the first round of invitations going out no later than 8/12. Interviews start on 9/9.

Thanks for your patience.

Admissions

Reactions: 10 users
UPDATE:

All applications verified as of 7/22 have been downloaded and processed with an initial decision regarding a supplemental. Decisions will be: invite, reject, or hold due to missing MCAT scores.

Letter of recommendation (LOR) review started this week, but letters are not read until your supplemental application has been submitted. Once the supplemental has been submitted, the LOR review process can take at least three (3) weeks. [On average, we receive over 700 letters per week.] Letters appear in the portal only after the LOR review process is complete. You can check the status in the portal if you have been invited to complete a supplemental.

Finally, application screening for interview will begin on Monday with the first round of invitations going out no later than 8/12. Interviews start on 9/9.

Admissions

Thank you for the update.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is everyone finding the character limit on these secondaries? I feel like I'm missing it. The boxes allow me to add as much text as I want

Where is everyone finding the character limit on these secondaries? I feel like I'm missing it. The boxes allow me to add as much text as I want
I didn't see it either (on Safari browser). Then, I opened it up in Google Chrome-it worked!

I didn't see it either (on Safari browser). Then, I opened it up in Google Chrome-it worked!
I didn't see it either, anyone have a take on how they may view a response that breaks the limit (potentially by a lot lol), I submitted some pretty lengthy ones

I didn't see it either, anyone have a take on how they may view a response that breaks the limit (potentially by a lot lol), I submitted some pretty lengthy ones
Sorry, I meant that I was able to see the character limit when I opened up my application on a Google Chrome browser. Have you tried that?

Sorry, I meant that I was able to see the character limit when I opened up my application on a Google Chrome browser. Have you tried that?

That worked! Thank you!

Anyone else still showing that their letters haven't been received?

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Just seems like it's taking a lot longer than other schools take to apply the letters to the specific accounts.

It's my last holdout as far as application completeness goes. But I think their openness about their timeline is great. Everything will eventually get done.

It's my last holdout as far as application completeness goes. But I think their openness about their timeline is great. Everything will eventually get done.
Right. At least everyone is in the same boat

As of 8/4, screening for interview invitations has started.
Screening can take at least three (3) weeks.
Interview invitations should start on 8/19.

Thank you for your patience.

Reactions: 5 users
As of 8/4, screening for interview invitations has started.
Screening can take at least three (3) weeks.
Interview invitations should start on 8/19.

Thank you for your patience.
Will screening of an application for an interview begin only after the LORs have been processed?

(Double-thumbs up!) Wishing all of us some II's in the next couple of days!!

Got the email that I was officially "complete" and I'm under review for an interview!

Did anyone ever have 1 or 2 of your letters show recieved, or did they all come in at the same time?

Last edited:
Anyone else still showing that their letters haven't been received?

Please see the earlier thread about LOR processing and timelines. It starts after your supplemental has been submitted.

Admissions

Just seems like it's taking a lot longer than other schools take to apply the letters to the specific accounts.

The admissions office receives between 500-700 letters every week! Watch for our job opening for speed readers ... just kidding.

MU-COM

Reactions: 7 users
Will screening of an application for an interview begin only after the LORs have been processed?

Yes, you are correct. We only screen [for interview decisions] complete applications. A complete app includes supplemental questions, fee, certification, and LORs.

Admissions

The admissions office receives between 500-700 letters every week! Watch for our job opening for speed readers ... just kidding.

MU-COM

(Lol!) Thanks for the update and humor! Both help us cope with these times :)

UPDATE:

Admissions

Is this true for only interview invites, or do you hold on supplementals as well? I already have scores but I retook it today.

MU-COM
Haha fair enough. I look forward to hearing soon!

Should I not complete my secondary here if I don't have a physician letter?

Does anyone show complete, or that their letters have been received?