Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
About what time did those accepted receive their calls?

Members don't see this ad.

Alternate list for me

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an email saying my application wasn't reviewed this week and is being carried over to the next week. Interviewed last Friday

I just got an email saying my application wasn't reviewed this week and is being carried over to the next week. Interviewed last Friday

Same. I like the updates.

Although, just seeing an email entitled "Application Update" now-a-days is enough to make this girl's heart flutter.

Reactions: 1 users
Same. Wasn't expecting to get an update like that, so it was nice.

Pre interview hold :\

Yeah I got the same thing they told me they liked my MCAT but didn't like my GPA and that they were going to wait to make a decision on weather or not i get an interview till I can update my transcripts for this semester (I'm working on my MPH at Ohio State).

Does anyone have any experience with that? I have a 4.0 at the moment and am really focused on keeping it like that.
GPA-3.35
MCAT-511

Do you guys think I actually have a shot if i send in a solid GPA from this semester or do you think it will be too late in the game for me at that point?

I was complete 9/21 because they were waiting for my letters. They didn't include any specifics in my email, just said I wasn't as competitive as the other applicants and that they will review it again in a month. So we shall see in a month!

Yeah I got the same thing they told me they liked my MCAT but didn't like my GPA and that they were going to wait to make a decision on weather or not i get an interview till I can update my transcripts for this semester (I'm working on my MPH at Ohio State).

Does anyone have any experience with that? I have a 4.0 at the moment and am really focused on keeping it like that.
GPA-3.35
MCAT-511

Do you guys think I actually have a shot if i send in a solid GPA from this semester or do you think it will be too late in the game for me at that point?

+ 1 got the same email

I think you will definitely have a shot when you update them. As long as they dont fill up too quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just got a rejection email . Complete around mid august. So you guys should see this pre-II hold as a good thing :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a rejection email . Complete around mid august. So you guys should see this pre-II hold as a good thing :thumbup:

Thanks for letting us know! I have made this very same post in a few other threads because I think it is super helpful. Best of luck my friend!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for letting us know! I have made this very same post in a few other threads because I think it is super helpful. Best of luck my friend!

Thanks for doing that! It's embarrassing but it's helpful. That's one thing that stinks about these threads a lot of people only report positive results

Reactions: 6 users
Hold for fall grades :/ complete on September 1st

GPA-3.35
MCAT-511

Wow, that MCAT is amazing. I would hope that your 4.0 would definitely help! What do you think of your ECs/LORs? I don't see why they would put you on hold, I guess. But I guess it's a crapshoot.

Posting here about my 10/7 interview experience for any future interviewees that are curious:

In all honesty, I wasn't too impressed on Interview Day.

We started off with a light lunch as we checked in (Friday interviewees had light lunch while Saturday interviewees had breakfast).

Around 12:15 PM, we headed off to one of the lecture halls to get a presentation by Bryan Moody on the school and the MMI interview. We waited for about 30 minutes to start the presentation, which I thought not only seemed unprofessional but also made me feel like as an interviewee, I was put on the back burner. When Bryan came back, he apologized and said he was on a phone call that he couldn't "get rid of." Really? He also started off the presentation right off the bat with MMI interviews and what to expect from our interviews that day, the formatting and what not. I've interviewed at other schools and it was never like this! We usually at least got some info about Marian before we started with how interviews were formatted. It seemed strange and felt as if they all assumed we were already impressed with Marian and our only job was to impress them with the interview.

The presentation was followed by either certain groups continuing onto the Q and A with students or the interview.

The traditional interview went great for me. MMIs were a bit tricker - one station went alright and another one went badly. I thought one station was fine promptwise, but thought the follow-up questions and scenario changes my interviewer made were ridiculous. I also felt as if it needed outside knowledge to answer the question, which I felt was unfair. But that's my 2 cents on that.

The Q and A was fine. We had two students who spoke with us and answered questions and although they didn't seem super enthusiastic about Marian, they still seemed to generally like it. I liked that they were completely honest about certain things and didn't try to sugarcoat anything about the school.

Afterwards, we had a tour of the campus and facilities led by two other students. This was definitely one of the most enjoyable parts of the day! Students were excited to show off their school and the facilities at Marian were impressive. Overall, I loved Marian'a campus. Lots of greenery and nice landscaping and the buildings all looked really nice. Also seemed to be a lot of great study areas!

At the end, we were given a final presentation by Bryan Moody. THIS is where he decided to talk about Marian, at the very end of the day. He outlined the admissions process, the impressive factors about Marian, and said a bit about financial aid. Then we filled out surveys and that was it.

Overall, I was honestly pretty disappointed. I don't think I felt very welcomed as an interviewee. Bryan seemed a little cold and not as warm as other people I've met in other schools. You can tell he was a nice guy, but it didn't come off as much. I was also pretty surprised we didn't even get to meet the Dean or any of the faculty (besides anyone present in our interviews). My experience in other schools has always been that the Dean came out and spoke to us all to feel us more at home and more welcome. Not here. I was thoroughly disappointed to not have met one of the major representatives of the school. Bryan didn't even outline a reason as to why the Dean wasn't present - I guess he didn't see why potential students should meet the Dean. It seemed very odd. Also, meeting at least a few members of the faculty would've been nice. Names of faculty weren't present in the presentations either. Additionally, the core Franciscan values that Marian was founded upon weren't present anywhere in the end presentation. That was weird - those qualities were what drew me to Marian in the first place. But the school didn't seem very spiritual or anything at all.

With all this being said, please note that this is only my opinion. I am sure there are others who felt oppositely. Marian overall seems like a very impressive school. But I do have to say that after visiting it, I am less excited about it. Just didn't feel warmly received or very comfortable in my own skin there.

Please PM me if you have any specific questions. Can't give off any interview questions obviously, but let me know if you want to know any specifics about the school and what not when I interviewed.

Last edited:
Posting here about my 10/7 interview experience for any future interviewees that are curious:

In all honesty, I wasn't too impressed on Interview Day.

We started off with a light lunch as we checked in (Friday interviewees had light lunch while Saturday interviewees had breakfast).

Around 12:15 PM, we headed off to one of the lecture halls to get a presentation by Bryan Moody on the school and the MMI interview. We waited for about 30 minutes to start the presentation, which I thought not only seemed unprofessional but also made me feel like as an interviewee, I was put on the back burner. When Bryan came back, he apologized and said he was on a phone call that he couldn't "get rid of." Really? He also started off the presentation right off the bat with MMI interviews and what to expect from our interviews that day, the formatting and what not. I've interviewed at other schools and it was never like this! We usually at least got some info about Marian before we started with how interviews were formatted. It seemed strange and felt as if they all assumed we were already impressed with Marian and our only job was to impress them with the interview.

The presentation was followed by either certain groups continuing onto the Q and A with students or the interview.

The traditional interview went great for me. MMIs were a bit tricker - one station went alright and another one went badly. I thought one station was fine promptwise, but thought the follow-up questions and scenario changes my interviewer made were ridiculous. I also felt as if it needed outside knowledge to answer the question, which I felt was unfair. But that's my 2 cents on that.

The Q and A was fine. We had two students who spoke with us and answered questions and although they didn't seem super enthusiastic about Marian, they still seemed to generally like it. I liked that they were completely honest about certain things and didn't try to sugarcoat anything about the school.

Afterwards, we had a tour of the campus and facilities led by two other students. This was definitely one of the most enjoyable parts of the day! Students were excited to show off their school and the facilities at Marian were impressive. Overall, I loved Marian'a campus. Lots of greenery and nice landscaping and the buildings all looked really nice. Also seemed to be a lot of great study areas!

At the end, we were given a final presentation by Bryan Moody. THIS is where he decided to talk about Marian, at the very end of the day. He outlined the admissions process, the impressive factors about Marian, and said a bit about financial aid. Then we filled out surveys and that was it.

Overall, I was honestly pretty disappointed. I don't think I felt very welcomed as an interviewee. Bryan seemed a little cold and not as warm as other people I've met in other schools. You can tell he was a nice guy, but it didn't come off as much. I was also pretty surprised we didn't even get to meet the Dean or any of the faculty (besides anyone present in our interviews). My experience in other schools has always been that the Dean came out and spoke to us all to feel us more at home and more welcome. Not here. I was thoroughly disappointed to not have met one of the major representatives of the school. Bryan didn't even outline a reason as to why the Dean wasn't present - I guess he didn't see why potential students should meet the Dean. It seemed very odd. Also, meeting at least a few members of the faculty would've been nice. Names of faculty weren't present in the presentations either. Additionally, the core Franciscan values that Marian was founded upon weren't present anywhere in the end presentation. That was weird - those qualities were what drew me to Marian in the first place. But the school didn't seem very spiritual or anything at all.

With all this being said, please note that this is only my opinion. I am sure there are others who felt oppositely. Marian overall seems like a very impressive school. But I do have to say that after visiting it, I am less excited about it. Just didn't feel warmly received or very comfortable in my own skin there.

Please PM me if you have any specific questions. Can't give off any interview questions obviously, but let me know if you want to know any specifics about the school and what not when I interviewed.

100% agree. I was really excited about this school, but I felt that the interview day was pretty mediocre. Maybe they were just having an off day?

I enjoyed mine on 9/30 and seemed like it went well

100% agree. I was really excited about this school, but I felt that the interview day was pretty mediocre. Maybe they were just having an off day?
Yeah, maybe an off day.

It became apparent to me that Bryan Moody has a VERY dry sense of humor. My interview day also ran behind schedule. Schedule-wise, I think what stardust presented might be a typical interview day at Marian.

What stood out to me was the continual changes in the curriculum as they iron out the kinks and now their new curriculum is an "Integrated Systems approach" where they take on multiple organ systems at a time. While this is a negative in my mind, the schools seems to seriously take into account the feedback they get from students, which tells me that students are taken very seriously and their ideas and experiences are very important to the administration. To Marian's credit, students and Bryan Moody were extremely open and honest about what hadn't worked well and what had been changed over these first three years. One thing that really gave me pause though was that the website promises certain innovative teaching situations and students didn't seem to know about them nor had they experienced them.

Another negative for me was a lack of clinical exposure in the first 2 years, but then there are the great clinical rotation opportunities and low cost of living in Indianapolis. Beautiful new anatomy lab, but anatomy is not a synched with their curriculum and neither is the OMM. The huge OMM Lab looked like it would hold many students with few teachers. Interesting honors opportunities and also research. I also liked the presence of both DOs and MDs, that suggested to me cooperation instead of "us vs them" between the two pathways. Lots of team building activities for the students and clubs at the school. Flexibility in schedules and lack of focus on spirituality is a plus for me, but might not be for others.

It became apparent to me that Bryan Moody has a VERY dry sense of humor. My interview day also ran behind schedule. Schedule-wise, I think what stardust presented might be a typical interview day at Marian.

What stood out to me was the continual changes in the curriculum as they iron out the kinks and now their new curriculum is an "Integrated Systems approach" where they take on multiple organ systems at a time. While this is a negative in my mind, the schools seems to seriously take into account the feedback they get from students, which tells me that students are taken very seriously and their ideas and experiences are very important to the administration. To Marian's credit, students and Bryan Moody were extremely open and honest about what hadn't worked well and what had been changed over these first three years. One thing that really gave me pause though was that the website promises certain innovative teaching situations and students didn't seem to know about them nor had they experienced them.

Another negative for me was a lack of clinical exposure in the first 2 years, but then there are the great clinical rotation opportunities and low cost of living in Indianapolis. Beautiful new anatomy lab, but anatomy is not a synched with their curriculum and neither is the OMM. The huge OMM Lab looked like it would hold many students with few teachers. Interesting honors opportunities and also research. I also liked the presence of both DOs and MDs, that suggested to me cooperation instead of "us vs them" between the two pathways. Lots of team building activities for the students and clubs at the school. Flexibility in schedules and lack of focus on spirituality is a plus for me, but might not be for others.

I agree - I think he has a very dry sense of humor. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE dry humor (especially being The Office and Parks and Rec fans, haha), but I just don't think it's appropriate on an Interview Day setting. Didn't seem fitting and made things feel a little awkward to me.

I do like the fact that they take students' ideas into consideration and don't have just one standard way of doing things, with Marian still being a relatively new school. Much appreciated. I liked the honesty. Just didn't feel a sense of community that I felt in other places.

Yes, that is a definite lack. I like how there are so many monitors in the OMM and anatomy lab but this also indicated (to me) that there is a less-than-desired faculty:student ratio. But maybe I'm wrong.

I didn't get any info on honors opportunities. I like how many of the faculty are involved in research, seems like there are many opportunities for students interested. I id like the spirituality aspect, or at least a feel for student wellness and health. I interviewed at another religion-affiliated school and got that from them so I was a little sad Marian didn't have it.

As was suggested earlier, may just have been an off interview day. Could also be my own perspective vs. others.

Either way, seemed like the school had great facilities, was beautiful aesthetically, and my interviewers all seemed friendly enough. Can't complain there.

Good luck to any future interviewees!

did anyone receive this e-mail?

"I write to update you on the status of your application. Unfortunately, our screening process has slowed this year due to an emergency with one of our reviewers. We are working diligently to get you an interview decision as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience."

Is it a hold? :(

"I write to update you on the status of your application. Unfortunately, our screening process has slowed this year due to an emergency with one of our reviewers. We are working diligently to get you an interview decision as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience."

No. They just haven't reviewed our apps.

It doesn't sound like one.

I submitted my secondary on September 18th and it is still marked incomplete. It says I am missing a physician LOR, but I have one submitted to my AACOMAS application. It's registering my advisor and science professor LOR's, but not the physician. Any ideas as to why and could it just be they are swamped? I don't want to bother them about it if patience is the answer.

2nd year here. Wanted to add my perspective as someone who has gone through the changes that the school has made. I've been told that other schools like IU-SOM is trying to adopt a system similar to ours. What I appreciate is the amount of respect that our faculties gives us when we give feedback. This is to improve the student experience. I'm impressed with the changes that each course director has made to the curriculum, but as with any changes there are plenty of bumps in the road.

As for the innovative teaching situation, well it's hard for us to know what that is, if that's all we know. But as a second year, I've notice some changes to our Intro to Clinical Medicine course that was integrated when they surveyed the 3rd and 4th years. It means we have more to do and more tests, but we'll be plenty prepared for rotations.

There are research opportunities in the summer with most of the falculty. We got plenty of emails about open positions and we do have an honors OMM program for 2nd years.

There is an option for additional clinical experiences. Meaningful mentor program is where they match you up with a physician and you can do additional shadowing if you want, it's not mandatory. Most of my classmates signed up.

Lastly, I haven't heard of another DO school where the MD's in our school is actively learning OMM. They want to learn to incorporate DO principle when they teach. It just makes it harder for students cause it's one more thing you have to worry about, but it will certainly make you board ready and think like a true osteopath.

There is a reason for the interview and that is to see if both sides will be a good fit for one another. Marian was dead last on my list of schools that I wanted to attend and became my top choice after the interview. The fit was just too good and it has proven to be the case for me. I also know of a few classmates that don't like it here and that's on them for not doing their due diligence when picking a school. Whatever their case might be, I felt MUCOM was completely honest during my interview and has fully met my expectations of my medical education and experiences.

I wish everyone on this board the best of luck in their interviews. I know exactly where you guys are at and what you guys are all going through. I flew all over the country and it was exhausting but it's well worth it when you find your perfect school!

Reactions: 2 users
Just wondering how long it takes for the school to download the letters from AACOMAS. The email said to not call until after 2 weeks of secondary submission, but does it take that long to get downloaded? I'm guessing the app remains incomplete until the letters get downloaded.

I was reading the message board and someone mentioned a Saturday interview. Is offering Saturday interviews a regular thing for Marian?

I submitted my secondary on September 18th and it is still marked incomplete. It says I am missing a physician LOR, but I have one submitted to my AACOMAS application. It's registering my advisor and science professor LOR's, but not the physician. Any ideas as to why and could it just be they are swamped? I don't want to bother them about it if patience is the answer.

My status is exactly the same and I submitted around the same time as you. I sent an email to their administrative assistant so I'm hoping she'll get back to me soon. I'm wondering if it's because my physician letter didn't have a signature, but that was never in the requirements so I didn't think that would be the cause of the hold up.

My status is exactly the same and I submitted around the same time as you. I sent an email to their administrative assistant so I'm hoping she'll get back to me soon. I'm wondering if it's because my physician letter didn't have a signature, but that was never in the requirements so I didn't think that would be the cause of the hold up.
All my letters say incomplete but they're all in aacomas. How long did it take for them to show complete for the other letters?

All my letters say incomplete but they're all in aacomas. How long did it take for them to show complete for the other letters?
About 2 weeks following submission? Maybe even less.

App was completed on 9/30 and am now in review since 10/11. No word yet. Anyone else in the same boat?

Reactions: 3 users
Those who've gotten post interview responses, were they via email or phone?

Anyone know if admissions is still behind with letters of recommendation? They are showing up as incomplete on my portal...:(