Marijuana misdemeanor on birthday while in pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nemo1990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a third year pharmacy student. The fourth year at my school requires you to have a pharmacy intern license in order to participate in rotations to gain the necessary internship hours to be able to become licensed. Over the winter break I visited my hometown and hooked up with some old friends. One of them gave me a small bag of weed for my birthday (like a gram). As i'm not really a smoker I kept it in the car to maybe try when I got home. Unfortunately I was pulled over at which point I cooperated with the officer and told him where it was. The officer gave me a summons for possession of marijuana. I have no criminal record other than driving with an expired license which was dismissed when I bought my renewed license to court with no fines. I immediately notified the board of pharmacy at which my pharmacy intern license is currently being considered so that they would know I am not trying to hide this offense since it happened after the criminal background check. I will most likely undergo a pretrial diversion program which I know will still show up on my record as dismissed due to successful completion of the first offenders program.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback from anyone who has gone through a similar circumstance or knows of anyone who has. Is there any chance of me getting a probationary intern license? Also, is there a chance that I can become licensed as a pharmacist with such a recent charge?

I really need to know because all I need is a chance. I have a 3.92 GPA and I am one of the top 3 students in my class. I know it is hard believe but I am not a habitual smoker and will bring a negative drug test to the first court date to show the judge and try to explain my situation. Please, I am just looking for any helpful advice on what I can do. I know that I screwed up and am now facing a steep uphill battle but I am willing to do whatever takes.

Members don't see this ad.

I went throurgh very similar situation. you can pm me and i can share but you need to first find lawyer or you may not have any chance.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did the cop specifically ask you if you had weed in the car? Did you do anything suspicious to make him want to look around?

The only scare I've had with the cops was that I was going like 75 mph in a 50 mph zone, with windows tinted to 20% light transmittance when the NYS limit is 70% light transmittance (less than 70% light transmittance is not allowed). On top of that I had 2 sniper rifles in the back, which I did legally purchase but I'm technically only allowed to have them in Suffolk and Nassau counties where rifles do not need to be registered (I was in NYC).

Ended up just getting a warning for the speeding and tints since I had my PBA card on me. (Thank God the cop didn't flash his light into the back.)

Well, arguing about what OP should have told the cop is irrelevant now.

OP, I think you are thinking along the right line with the board but acted prematurely. The boards that I know require that you notify them of conviction/no-contest, not just being charged, but your state law might be different. But hiding a conviction is absolutely a no-no and that tend to make boards not want to give you a second chance. So keep that in mind of any outcomes.

The bottom line: right now you need legal representation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I have obtained a lawyer but he said do to my self incrimination i will most likely get pretrial diversion. I know I screwed up with the cops but I am more disappointed that I put myself in that situation which will never do again. I can't change what happened and all I can do is try my best to move forward. I appreciate the advice that has been and look forward to any further suggestions

I know you don't need a lecture, but man alive, what are some of you young people thinking? Sniper rifles (I'm speechless), tinted windows, speeding and illegal drugs. If you were my kids...

SHUT YOUR MOUTH and let your attorney, do his job. I know your scared, you should be. Trying to find validation for poor decisions, is really problematic for me. Don't tell ANYONE else (friends, family, neighbors, etc.) anything, about this situation. Anyone asks, tell them you blew the situation out of proportion and shut the topic down.
Your attorney knows what to do. Any info given from people here, (although, good intentioned) is immaterial to your circumstance. This is a very serious situation and I pray that it turns out well for you.

Yeah, bad enough one sniper rifle but two OMG.

I agree that I jumped the gun telling the board of pharmacy since I have not even had my first court date. However I knew that they would see the charge eventually and I wanted to be honest and come to them. I will let my lawyer handle this but I have one last question. The board of pharmacy will see consider my application next month and will see that I was arrested. Some of the faculty members at my college of pharmacy are on the board of pharmacy. Would it be a bad idea to talk with any of them about my options and what I can do to show the board that this was a one-time mistake since they will see what happened when they consider my application anyway? I have a good relationship with all my teachers and I feel that they will have seen these situations before and will be able to provide valuable advice.

Better talk to the dean first. He will find out anyway so better to talk to him first. Also better tell all of your preceptors and bring it up at every job interview. Really there is no one I can think of who doesn't need to know this.

Seriously dude take the advice above about keeping your mouth shut.

Reactions: 1 users
The cop seriously gave you a court summons for a gram of mary J? How black and/or puerto rican are you? lol meanwhile, 7 white kids from the burbs just got caught with 1 pound of it in their cars and was let off with a warning. what a f*cking joke

I know plenty of people who got off in the same situation but im really trying not to dwell on that. I should not have been in that situation and i know that i am responsible for whatever the outcome. One reason i thought it might help to talk to a professor on the board is because when they consider my pharmacist intern license in less then a month they will see the charge pending anyway and i thought it would be better coming from me.

Don't talk to the Dean, Board, Preceptors, Teachers or the janitor, about this situation. EVERYTHING needs to be handled through your attorney. All of the people listed, will be much more delicate about the situation, when confronted by your attorney. You are paying the attorney, not only for legal counsel, but to intimidate all of those people as well. The attorney will tell you when to eat, sleep and take a dump. He won't call you with daily updates. He will involve you, when you are needed. You pay the attorney for all the work. You will add nothing but aggravation to the attorney, so leave him alone to do his job.

You need to worry about paying your attorney, continuing in school and SHUTTING YOUR MOUTH.
I know you need hand holding, but enough. Pull your big boy pants up, SHUT YOUR MOUTH and let your attorney handle the situation. The attorney will contact you when you are needed, don't bother him. He is well aware of the severity of the situation and knows what to do. All you need to do is pay him. I appreciate you want to be honest about the situation and you think that will set you free. It won't. Your attorney will.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, i will let the attorney handle it. Just to clarify he is a criminal attorney and will represent me for the possessionof marijuana charge but not in front of the dc board of pharmacy in which my pharmacy intern application is pendng. Will i need to hire another lawyer simultaneously to deal with the board since they will consider my application while the charges are pendng? I really dont have the money right now to hire another lawyer

Why'd you give it to the cop ? Learn your civil rights

Liked this post.

Did the cop specifically ask you if you had weed in the car? Did you do anything suspicious to make him want to look around?

The only scare I've had with the cops was that I was going like 75 mph in a 50 mph zone, with windows tinted to 20% light transmittance when the NYS limit is 70% light transmittance (less than 70% light transmittance is not allowed). On top of that I had 2 sniper rifles in the back, which I did legally purchase but I'm technically only allowed to have them in Suffolk and Nassau counties where rifles do not need to be registered (I was in NYC).

Ended up just getting a warning for the speeding and tints since I had my PBA card on me. (Thank God the cop didn't flash his light into the back.)

So he didn't find the body in the trunk?

Back in the day people knew how to bury their skeletons. Now you kids yap and cry to everyone about everything. Lawyer up and shut up.

And who calls them "sniper," rifles? They're rifles.

Back in the day people knew how to bury their skeletons. Now you kids yap and cry to everyone about everything. Lawyer up and shut up.

And who calls them "sniper," rifles? They're rifles.

True. But then again you can say the same thing about "assault" rifles. Reason why I'm calling it a sniper rifle is because I have an adjustable scope on it.

True. But then again you can say the same thing about "assault" rifles. Reason why I'm calling it a sniper rifle is because I have an adjustable scope on it.

By that logic my 10/22 is a sniper rifle

You will be ok. You definitely arent the first pharmacy student to get caught with drugs. Lawyer up, and dont ever let cops go through your vehicle. Watch this video for basics, its informative.
Better talk to the dean first. He will find out anyway so better to talk to him first. Also better tell all of your preceptors and bring it up at every job interview. Really there is no one I can think of who doesn't need to know this. Seriously dude take the advice above about keeping your mouth shut.

I disagree with telling any job interviews anything. You still have time to get this charge expunged from your record if you are p4. Dont tell anyone but the dean, but make sure you say it wasnt yours. Dont admit to any wrongdoing with the school. Im sure they will help you find new rotations if any BG check you. Rememeber, the school wants as many students that matriculated to graduate as possible, it looks bad on them when students drop out. They will help you. Hope you learned a lesson, never talk to the police, they are not on your side no matter what. Good luck its an unfortunate situation that could have easily been prevented.

Thank you for post beacon, it was really helpful. I know handled the situation with the cops wrong, honestly I have never been in that position before and was overwhelmed. I now know that legally i would have had a good case if I admitted to nothing(learned a valuable lesson) but regardless I will never put myself in that situation again. I talked to the lady in charge of rotations and she said that I should still have a good chance to get my intern license(perhaps with a hearing) since it is a one time thing and that she has seen many similar cases reviewed by the board of pharmacy. Honestly I thought I pretty much had no chance of being able to continue in pharmacy so I was stressed/deppressed out and could'nt focus on anything. Now, just knowing I have a chance has allowed me to continue working hard and remain optimistic. Thank you all who have helped me through the most stressful experience of my life.

BTW under VA law which is where it happened the only way you can expunge is if acquitted or pardoned. Pleading guilty or nolo contendere to get pretrial diversion is not eligible.

Thank you for post beacon,

BTW under VA law which is where it happened the only way you can expunge is if acquitted or pardoned. Pleading guilty or nolo contendere to get pretrial diversion is not eligible.

Ask your attorney about working out a plea deal with the states attorney where you have to go to drug school or counselig or something whereas after you complete x amount of classes and show the judge proof the charge gets thrown out. That way you don't get a conviction and can expunge.

Source: best friend is criminal defense attorney, does this constantly with Narcotics possession charges, even felony possession.

You sound like a good kid that screwed up. Good luck to you.

Thanks, i already asked my attorney and the plea deal you mentioned is basically the same as pretrial diversion. I will have to plea guilty or nolo contendere at which point the judge defers his ruling and dissmisses the case after successful completion of counseling, dug tests, etc. Idk why but he said i can't get the dismissed charge expunged since i have to admit guilt to enter the plea deal even though there will not be a conviction. I researched the virginia first offender program and unfortunately it states what my lawyer told me.

I went throurgh very similar situation. you can pm me and i can share but you need to first find lawyer or you may not have any chance.

Aren't you the one who also made the thread asking how to order a ton of controlled substances "for your patients" without getting audited? Yeesh... You sure do have a thing for controlled substances, huh?