Marine Biology or Biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chelsea Cabrera

Chem Nerd
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I major in Marine Biology or just Biology? Would it make a difference for job prospects? I've heard job prospects for both are poor. Of course I plan on going to med school, so do med schools prefer one over the other? I enjoy Marine Bio more, but it is more important to me to get into a good medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

MEDICAL SCHOOLS DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR MAJOR

That is all.

Reactions: 2 users
You need a back up plan. What if you don't get into med school right after college? You'll want a high paying job. Sure you can do clinical related jobs but they wouldn't pay as much (also depends on what you consider good pay) but $8-15/hour isn't going to cut it unless you come from a wealthy family.

If you majored in biochem, microbio or chemistry then your prospects increase and you'd be making $20-$35/hour. It's just something to think about. Everyone needs a plan B if they don't get into medical school their first try ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't directly get into medical school and plan on using your major in the real world what degree would you rather have (What interests you more)? That should be your only concern. Otherwise I agree with @Underu

Should I major in Marine Biology or just Biology? Would it make a difference for job prospects? I've heard job prospects for both are poor. Of course I plan on going to med school, so do med schools prefer one over the other? I enjoy Marine Bio more, but it is more important to me to get into a good medical school.

You should major in something more practical like engineering, computer science, business, or even math/physics if you're concerned about job prospects. Biochemistry can also help. But biology itself regardless of its variations will unsurprisingly have poor job prospects.

Reactions: 1 user
You should major in something more practical like engineering, computer science, business, or even math/physics if you're concerned about job prospects. Biochemistry can also help. But biology itself regardless of its variations will unsurprisingly have poor job prospects.
Well, you can always still apply to professional schools still.

What do you think you can do better in? What will make you happy enough to dedicate 4 years to? Good grades are what matters.