Marine Corps and Pre-Reqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raijin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking to join the Marine Corps as active duty and I'm looking to take college classes during my service. I've asked many marines about paying for college and I'll (supposedly) get as much tuition assistance as the highest-costing state university.
My main questions would be:
Are there any marines/former marines on these forums that have taken pre-reqs on base, gotten their 4-year bachelors degree, got high marks on the MCAT, were able to volunteer at hospitals and have successfully made it in to medical school after their 4-6 years of active duty?
I currently live in Minnesota and I've gained acceptance to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, would it be better to do Marine Corps Reserves and just attend the U of M TC?

Any kind of advice will help!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What MOS do you want to do in the Marines? It's certainly doable, and I'm sure there are those here who have done it--if they're here, they can chime in with their experiences. I was active duty Army, and while plenty of people take night classes, I don't think active duty is amenable to taking science pre-reqs, especially if there is a lab component. If you already have an acceptance to a university, I would go reserve, do your boot camp and MOS training, and then attend your university full-time.

And TA caps out at $4500, you need to VERY CAREFULLY read every document you sign regarding benefits, incentives, enlistment promises, etc. I went through MEPS with the Corps but ended up Navy later on; needless to say, I was scared out of my mind with a Ssg. barking at me and rushing me through papers without reading thoroughly. Think of it that you're doing them a favor, because even though it is more of a two way street than that, you are giving up four to six or more critical years of your life at a low salary level for a lifestyle well below what most Americans would willingly choose. And be smart with your money, it will pay dividends (literally) no matter what you choose to do after ETS.

Also, as MrLogan says, Reserves are a great option. Dependent upon the state you want to study in, National Guard has some insane benefits compared to other reserve forces. Learn how to wear a dress uniform, polish boots (if you're airborne), and shoot a rifle then take a reasonable stipend plus in some cases state-uni tuition on top of whatever civilian assistance you can pull. You're only end of the bargain is not to smoke weed or do other stupid stuff while in school. Easy day.

Good luck in your decision.

MMA

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the deal, active duty is just that. It's full-time-plus job. No one should expect to enlist active duty and complete a BA/BS in 4-6 years. That's crazy. If you want to complete a bachelor's in 4 years, go to school full time. I know it happens but those people are extremely lucky and should be considered the exception, not the rule.

As far as tuition assistance, I'm not sure about the other services but the Army is $4500 per fiscal year with the caveats of: up to $250 per credit hour and up to 18 credit hours per fiscal year.

If you want to serve in some capacity but you still want to go to school full time, join the reserves/guard.

Reactions: 1 user
I did 5 years as in the reserves as an 0311 before getting out and going to med school with the Army hpsp scholarship. My path wasn't quite that straightforward, but I might be able to offer some perspective. Here's a few thoughts:

- It's a running joke in the fleet about guys who join active duty and want to do college at the same time. Everyone says it, very few do it. It basically doesn't happen unless its some slow-paced, distance-learning, community college level stuff. Especially not lab sciences.

- Yes, it would be better to join the reserves and attend U of M if you want to be a doctor. That is not a even a question.

- You are going to have a hard enough time getting your degree in 4 years being in the reserves. Take every available opportunity to do winter courses and summer courses if you can schedule them around annual training.

- I can't make this clear enough... do not join the Marine Corps to pay for college. There are plenty of other branches that advertise how college-friendly they are! Join one of them! The Marines don't give a **** about your education or that you want to be a doctor one day. You need to understand that now, not after you join.

Last edited:
What the poster above said is very true. The Army loves to entice recruits with promises of paying for college, but the needs of the Army (or whichever branch) trump your education. And with global tensions as they are, it's may be likely that a deployment will interrupt your education.

it all depends on your MOS man. I was a corpsman with infantry for 6 years. There was absolutely no way to take any classes while I was in. When we weren't deployed we were in the field doing workups for a deployment . If I were you and are set on joining the USMC and getting school done then join the reserves.

Last edited:
Here's the deal, active duty is just that. It's full-time-plus job. No one should expect to enlist active duty and complete a BA/BS in 4-6 years. That's crazy. If you want to complete a bachelor's in 4 years, go to school full time. I know it happens but those people are extremely lucky and should be considered the exception, not the rule.

As far as tuition assistance, I'm not sure about the other services but the Army is $4500 per fiscal year with the caveats of: up to $250 per credit hour and up to 18 credit hours per fiscal year.

If you want to serve in some capacity but you still want to go to school full time, join the reserves/guard.

I did 5 years as in the reserves as an 0311 before getting out and going to med school with the Army hpsp scholarship. My path wasn't quite that straightforward, but I might be able to offer some perspective. Here's a few thoughts:

- It's a running joke in the fleet about guys who join active duty and want to do college at the same time. Everyone says it, very few do it. It basically doesn't happen unless its some slow-paced, distance-learning, community college level stuff. Especially not lab sciences.

- Yes, it would be better to join the reserves and attend U of M if you want to be a doctor. That is not a even a question.

- You are going to have a hard enough time getting your degree in 4 years being in the reserves. Take every available opportunity to do winter courses and summer courses if you can schedule them around annual training.

- I can't make this clear enough... do not join the Marine Corps to pay for college. There are plenty of other branches that advertise how college-friendly they are! Join one of them! The Marines don't give a **** about your education or that you want to be a doctor one day. You need to understand that now, not after you join. Don't be an 0311.

Completely agree with the above.

If you want to finish college (including med school pre-reqs) in the next 4 years do not go active duty.

Join the guard or reserves and attend U of M full time.

OP,
Being on active duty (Navy) for four years now I can give you direct insight into education and the military. Using TA is the way to go if you have time for it. I am stationed in Japan and on a ship and still have found time to max out the use of TA every year since my A/C school has ended. It is not easy and I often find myself working well into the night to finish classwork. I also have to deal with the normal quick changes the military lifestyle brings, internet outages, and many other problems. I will tell you it is possible though.
So far I have completed my B.S in Finance (UMUC) and a MBA (Liberty University). I am now working on my second B.S, but TA will not cover it so I am paying out of pocket. With military rates, the cost of the education is still cheaper than any civi will pay. The schooling you can get through online coursework is not the highest tier, but it is what you make of it. I have worked myself up to taking full time class schedules every semester and have received only 3 Bs and the rest As since I started.
It is a long grueling task each semester and I feel like each one takes a few years off my life, but at the end of each one it is always worth it. Taking on this amount of work requires dedication and unshakable motivation. You need to have a plan and be able to follow through with it while outperforming at your job as well. Best of luck.