Marital name change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atietjen1202

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I'm a third year student and have been considering the options when it comes to a marital name change. I have heard that if you get married after your DVM it is very difficult to change your name. Has anyone experienced this and if so can you fill me in on the details? Also, for those of you who got married during school could you explain the process as well. Thanks guys! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone!

I'm a third year student and have been considering the options when it comes to a marital name change. I have heard that if you get married after your DVM it is very difficult to change your name. Has anyone experienced this and if so can you fill me in on the details? Also, for those of you who got married during school could you explain the process as well. Thanks guys! :)
I got married during school and it was simply a process of going to the social security office with the appropriate paperwork and marriage license.

It took roughly 6 weeks to come through and I informed the vet school who put the change through there. Certain things took longer than others and I would make a lot of copies of the marriage license - you will need them.

I got married during school and it was simply a process of going to the social security office with the appropriate paperwork and marriage license.

It took roughly 6 weeks to come through and I informed the vet school who put the change through there. Certain things took longer than others and I would make a lot of copies of the marriage license - you will need them.
Thanks so much for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is changing your name is equally easy before or after your DVM; however, changing the name you practice under is difficult. I know several people who are Dr. X but in every other aspect of life are Jane Y not Jane X. In fact, of the 10 or so that I can think of that have gotten married, off the top of my head, none have changed the name they practice under. I recommend making every effort to change your name before graduating to the name you would like to practice under. Of course, easier said than done :)

All that said, on a quick google search, it looks fairly straight forward to change one's professional name and in California it appears to be illegal to not make both driver's license and professional license match within 30 days. This make me think people chose not to change their professional name due to the hassle and also because a vet's name has value once you have a reputation.

Last edited:
This make a lot of sense thanks so much for the clarification! :)

I got married between second and third year and have yet to change my last name (although I'm international and didn't want to mess around with my VISA, passport, etc.) I just put my new married name on my application to graduate, so my diploma/etc should read my new married name. I'm assuming my license will read the name I'm taking the exam under, as my identification for NAVLE has to match up. I will go by my married last name regardless.