Marketability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What can one do during/after residency to make himself more marketable? Specializing in cardiac/neuro/peds/critical care, getting TEE cert, pain fellowship...which candidates are expected to be in particular demand?

Or is any more valuable than the other?

Members don't see this ad.

Idiopathic said:
What can one do during/after residency to make himself more marketable? Specializing in cardiac/neuro/peds/critical care, getting TEE cert, pain fellowship...which candidates are expected to be in particular demand?

Or is any more valuable than the other?

Any extra training you pursue will make you a more attractive candidate. Of the fellowships you have listed above, I would say that the only one that doesn't carry much weight is a neuro fellowship, unless your institution has a paucity of major neuro cases, in which case the fellowship will be more to make up for a lack of cases.

Pedi is a strong fellowship to have on your resume, but unless you want to do really sick kids and work in a major pedi center, it isn't a necessity in private practice. If you want to do pain, you are joining a completely separate subset of anesthesiologists and if not, you have to ask yourself if you should be spending a year on a fellowship that is giving you skills that you don't plan to use extensively.

Cardiac gives you great training and gives you the skills to deal with the most difficult cases with ease, but you don't want to make a living off CT cases as the reimbursement is poor unless you are in a highly insured region.

I would start off concentrating on making your residency the most productive it can possibly be. That means staying late, doing extra cases, reading, and being the one to volunteer to do the difficult cases. Become a chief resident and your opportunities will multiply.

Here is a link to an old thread that I posted a reply to that I think better conveys the message I am trying to get across in terms of the need to maximize your residency experience. Remember that residency is the only time in your life you will be allowed to practice medicine on someone else's license, so make the best of it.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=180747

Reactions: 1 user