marks to get into otago med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sahanna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm a health science first year student and I just got my semester one results.

I really need to know what kind of marks will get me into med if I get average UMAT.... because I need to decide whether I'm competitive for med and should stay in the course.

I would really appreciate it if anybody gave me some idea of average marks for health sci year of med students.

I haven't sat my UMAT yet.

my email is [email protected] if you don't want to post marks here.

I'm pretty much desperate for any clues...

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on the matter ( or anyone elses).

I'm from a time before UMAT :) - I think my average in healthsci was 89.something. I think you needed >~85 in my year.

With UMAT and everything I am interested to see how this has changed. Has the average dropped to ~80? Or are all the ones scoring 100% in chemistry 111 also getting awesome marks in UMAT? (...unlikely :)

Purifyer said:
Or are all the ones scoring 100% in chemistry 111 also getting awesome marks in UMAT? (...unlikely :)

Why do you think that, Purifyer?

I think anybody who is smart and has a good command of English language (essential to become a good doctor) will do reasonably well in UMAT.

At Auckland they interviewed some people whom I thought had absolutely no chance of getting in (on the basis of their grades and UMAT scores) - as I predicted, none of them got in.

Heya

you prob need more than 85 that cuz UMAT is hard.
make sure you pass english other wise they wont even look at you application form.

drop me a line of u have ne more Qs.

Good luck