Married Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rayandbee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! My significant other an I are planning a wedding and we are both undergraduate students applying to graduate schools in psychology and (obviously) we want to stay together. We will be applying to many of the same programs and I am seeking advice. Should we apply before the wedding as single applicants or are we more likely to be accepted to the same program if we are married? The wedding is happening either way just trying to decide sooner versus later for application purposes!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Granted I am only a graduate student, but I personally have not observed any benefits in the application process to anyone who has a spouse. Its not like a full time job where there is the chance for a spousal hire, you will both go through the application process and acceptance will depend on the same factors as every other applicant.

Regardless, best of luck to you both

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know for certain, but I think the odds that you'll be able to get into the same program are slim. I don't think the fact that you're married will have any bearing on that. You might be able to get into schools in the same city, though! Especially if you apply in school-heavy cities.

Anyway, congratulations to you both! And good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Going to have to agree with the others--I've not really heard of marital status being used decisional factor. The one situation I can think up where it might come into play is if a POI is debating between two applicants, is worried that you as a top choice may go somewhere else, but knows/finds out that your spouse is also applying to the program and thus uses that as evidence that you'll be more likely to attend.

But again, I've not yet heard of that happening. Not saying that it doesn't, just that in my experience it isn't at all commonplace. I'd say just get married whenever is best for the two of you. Doing so during the first couple years of grad school could be tough, though, so if you'd prefer to be married sooner rather than later, then doing so before beginning your program might be best. Otherwise, it's possible you'll need to end up waiting until you're a bit further along in grad school, once classes calm down, you become more accustomed to the general atmosphere, and your schedule becomes a bit more flexible.

Last edited:
I agree with kebc. Getting into the same program may not be feasible. I think your best bet is to find a metro area with several accredited programs. Although, this does depend to some degree on what type of program you're applying to. PsyD and master's programs generally take larger cohorts each year, so your odds are better mathematically than for a PhD program that may only take 6 or 8 people. Aside from that, I agree with the others who have responded in saying that I don't think your marital status at the time of application will make much difference. In fact, legally I believe marital status is one of those personal demographics that isn't allowed to influence academic appointments one way or another (not to say that it never does, but you can file a complaint if you can prove it happened: http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/practices/inquiries_marital_status.cfm).

Hello! My significant other an I are planning a wedding and we are both undergraduate students applying to graduate schools in psychology and (obviously) we want to stay together. We will be applying to many of the same programs and I am seeking advice. Should we apply before the wedding as single applicants or are we more likely to be accepted to the same program if we are married? The wedding is happening either way just trying to decide sooner versus later for application purposes!
Thanks!

Being married or a couple will not influence admissions decisions, but when it comes time for internship, there is a match process for couples.

Something else that has not yet been thrown out, and may not be a popular opinion on this board, but professional psychology programs do accept a much larger volume of applicants and if you are dead set on being at the same school as your husband it is probably the only way that will happens with ease. There are downsides to this including cost of loans, the issue with their accreditation (if they are not APA accredited), and potential quality of program. I agree with what the earlier poster said about applying to geographical areas that have several programs close by to increase your chances of being near each other AND getting into school. And if anything, the professional schools can be a safety option.