married during application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nehuHI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
What happens if I submit an application and at sometime before/after my interviews I get married? Do I have to submit a change of name to the AAMC for my MCAT scores, to AMCAS for my application, and to the colleges I applied to? Will I have trouble when I fill out FAFSA?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
What happens if I submit an application and at sometime before/after my interviews I get married? Do I have to submit a change of name to the AAMC for my MCAT scores, to AMCAS for my application, and to the colleges I applied to? Will I have trouble when I fill out FAFSA?

A girl I met at a couple of interviews was getting married in the time btw interviews and the start of school. the financial aid lady told her to file fafsa as single if she was single when she filled it out, and edit it later if necessary.

Hi,
Thanks for sharing what you know about this topic. I appreciate the response :).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I have nothing to add but "congratulations" :)

When you marry, just keep your name.

Hello,

I got married after sending in my apps but before any of my interviews. I indicated single on the AMCAS. I'm a guy, so I can't help with the name change stuff. You should be cool regarding all the FAFSA stuff, although I can't say for sure because I haven't been in any hurry to do mine (no acceptances to push me lol).

I was going to ask the same thing, thanks :)

My wife and I both applied to medical school at the same time-- we got married in July 2008, which means we were writing secondaries as soon as we got back from our honeymoon!

Anyway- change of name is a huge bear and can only cause issues. What my wife did was keep her name for the sake of applications (because her transcripts, all her letters, everything was in her maiden name).. but would simply write an email to each school that we applied to to inform them of her marriage.

Not sure how much that helps. We're happy to answer questions you may have. The process was a pain but now we are deciding between several incredible schools that we've both been accepted to...

If you really want to change your name, you don't necessarily have to to it as soon as you get married. In my state, you have 6 months in which you can do the name change. (And you can do it after that, but you have to pay a separate fee and submit extra paperwork)

I don't really see how getting married would be an application issue. I don't know why your school would even need to know unless you change your name.

on a random side note. . . for a multitude of reasons, I wasn't able to change my name immediately after I got married. Time passed and then I realized that I didn't care and it wasn't important. Don't underestimate all the crap you'll have to replace if you do change your name: credit cards, driver's license, social security card, etc. Not saying you shouldn't change your name, but it's something to think about.

I got married in June, right before I started applying to schools and right after I took the MCAT. So this is what I did....

I didn't officially change my name with social security, drivers license, etc until after I had been accepted to the school I wanted to go to and put a deposit down. It was around December when I officially changed my name.

At that time I then informed them of my new name and they asked for a copy of my marriage license.

I did this so it would be less work on me (it's a pain in the butt to contact everyone to officially change your name) and so there wouldn't be any confusion with admissions offices.

As long as you have your marriage license you can wait until whenever to officially change your name, so don't feel like you have to do it right away if it's not going to be very convenient.

Hope that helps!

I agree with others about waiting to change your name. I just wanted to remind you that some schools will also ask for your spouse's financial information in addition to your parents. I believe the CSS profile asks for your current marital status at the time of completing the form, but I'm not sure about the FAFSA.

Thanks everyone for the information. In my state your name is officially changed (if you do decide to change it) the day of your marriage provided the marriage officiant turns in your certificate of marriage. I'm still unsure of whether I want to go through all the paperwork involved for changing driver's license, credit cards, etc. and I'm concerned that a name change right in the middle of the application process could somehow cause confusion and hurt my chances. All the input helps.

All I can say is that if someone was willing to marry you during the medical school application process, they are a keeper! Big congrats!

or a gold digger?
I would rather a gold digger so I could have sex on the reg through med school and I would not feel bad about divorcing her and going for someone younger/hotter after residency

Any more advice on this one? I just got married after completing my secondaries and registering for one interview date. For those of you that waited until enrollment to say you changed your name, was the school OK with that? I wouldn't want them to think I lacked initiative, I just figure it saves us both the headache of changing things. I was thinking about only letting school know as they invite me for an interview. No sense in bothering schools with the change if I am not going to get an interview anyway.

Also, if you waited, I assume you didn't change your drivers license and SS card until you were accepted as well?

Any more advice on this one? I just got married after completing my secondaries and registering for one interview date. For those of you that waited until enrollment to say you changed your name, was the school OK with that? I wouldn't want them to think I lacked initiative, I just figure it saves us both the headache of changing things. I was thinking about only letting school know as they invite me for an interview. No sense in bothering schools with the change if I am not going to get an interview anyway.

Also, if you waited, I assume you didn't change your drivers license and SS card until you were accepted as well?
No necrobumps! I read through half the crap before I realize every stinking time.