Married HPSP and NHSC Recipients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allusmels

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am on Army HPSP (c/o 2015) and will be married to a student on NHSC (c/o 2017). Does anyone have experience with being married with these commitments and if it's possible to live together? Will the military or NHSC work with you to be with your spouse? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The Army will always try to work with you...but there are no guarantees. It all depends on where she is going to be located. If she is going to be in a location that does not have a military installation, then the chances are slim. However, if she is going to be near a large military post, the chances are greater. Do you have any ideas where she could be practicing?

I know this is an older post, but I have a similar question.. I'm a 3rd year dental student and my boyfriend is a 3rd year medical student. We are both HPSP. I know he has to apply for residency, but I have more flexibility since I won't be depending on getting into a program anywhere. If we were to stay single, it would be luck of the draw as to if we could be assigned to the same base. I know being married is the only way the army would work to put couples together, and even so, there are no guarantees. If we did get married, would it have to be prior to the application process? My biggest concern is whether asking to go together might jeopardize his chances of getting into certain programs if they don't want/need a dentist at that base. I don't know if they look at that when they are reviewing applications, but if so, I would hold off on making a request. In that case, how soon can you fill out the transfer request form? Does that have to wait until the duration of your assignment is over, or can you do it after just a year or two?

Lots of questions, I know. Kind of a big life transition, I want to know more about it before making any major decisions. Thanks in advance!

Hello,

Depending on what he is applying for and how competitive he would be, they may try and put you into a spot that has his specialty, depending on what he is going into. Definitely let the folks at HRC know when doing your assignment! Also, you would have to be married for anything to happen...boyfriend/girlfriend doesn't do anything for you for an assignment.