Married to a ....... CRNA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, the troll "safeaneathesia1" above you who registered today to grace us with SRNA-Skool admission difficulty nonsense.
that makes more sense...just wanted to make sure I hadn't said something crazy

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no way this is true
Absolutely true. It's where I met and married my wife (A CRNA). They also require that no science class is older than 5-7 years at admission time. The APRN who listed the original question needs to have all of the information, whatever she decides. My wife sometimes wishes that she could be an anesthesiologist, but than again, there have been many times that I wish I would have been a CRNA! The other writer who stated the cost of attending and not earning hit it spot on, in her case, the only reason to go back to med school would be for a personal goal of being a physician. For her, the money she loses will never be made up.

Girl I knew went to nursing school to be an NP. She has a 3.8 gpa in college with a nursing major
We both took the SAT when it was graded out of 2400. I beat her score with just two of the three sections. Makes you wonder...

It is politically incorrect to suggest that people who go to medical school are on average brighter than people who go to nursing school.:nono:

Reactions: 1 user
With few exceptions, every intelligent human being has the tendency to look for a career that brings the appropriate level of intellectual challenge.

Nursing school is slightly above college level in difficulty, as one can see looking at their graduates, or students. It bears no comparison with medical school. That being said, somebody intelligent who wanted to go to medical school, but couldn't, will usually go on and get an APRN degree. Some of those people are smarter than the average doc.

Reactions: 1 users
A CRNA once told me the exact same thing--how we all "read the same books" and "study the same things." Well, it was that way for high school, college, and ultimately medical school. The difference between medical students and SRNAs is that medical students have a longer history of excelling academically; most of us were at the top of our classes in high school and excelled in college, hence the ability for medical schools to have strict admissions criteria. What makes you think that we wouldn't be stronger academically than an SRNA who is "taking the same classes"? The majority of the nurses I know were not anywhere near the top of their classes in high school and didn't have anywhere close to 3.7 GPAs in college, which is the overall average for medical school matriculants. It might not be politically correct for me to say that medical students are overwhelmingly likely to be better students than SRNAs, but the evidence is there.
I was not making any kind of assertion in my statement about the relative intelligence of the two groups, I was only cautioning the original perspective student that he/she might have to repeat the science courses she did badly in. From her story, I got the idea that she was worried that the bad grades she received would not matter in CRNA school, but might be a problem in med school. I also do not know what every single CRNA school requires, or what every single med school requires. According to my wife, and other CRNAs I work with, many of the programs will reject an applicant with anything lower than a "B" in any science course, and the courses could not be any older than 7 years from the time of interview for the program.
As for your assertion; I know many doctors who are much more intelligent than CRNAs, but I also know many CRNAs who are much smarter than some doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same. I meant being better students in the academic sense (i.e., grades), which translates to a stronger knowledge base and thus better care, in my opinion. Intelligence is another discussion entirely, and I would never make the claim that a particular group of people are more intelligent than another because that would be asinine.
Meh, chemical engineering graduates are more intelligent than communication majors......some groups just are smarter

Intelligence is another discussion entirely, and I would never make the claim that a particular group of people are more intelligent than another because that would be asinine.
Nope, it just wouldn't be politically correct.

Of course, intelligence is not the only determinant of (academic) success. IMO, grit is much more important. That's why we see ambitious mediocrities going a long way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually it is true, maybe you should look at the evidence? I advise going to med school, she'd never get accepted to CRNA school, it's far more difficult to get in, and you can't just drop out and then go back whenever you feel like it like med school. And having an NP doesn't meet the pre-req's for CRNA school.

The propaganda now includes stating in public that SRNA school is tougher than med school.

Only married the crna bc he could never close the deal w the anesthesiologist.... Had to bring the A game.... N I guess he didn't - I should know shes my BFF lol. Jk Seeing her n the twins next week in dallas. Where are u now these days np?

There's a subset of CNRAs who are foreign doctors who could not get ECFMG approval in this country. They are just as smart as doctors because they are doctors.

There's a subset of CNRAs who are foreign doctors who could not get ECFMG approval in this country. They are just as smart as doctors because they are doctors.
Really? They are so smart that they could not even pass the USMLE? That's far from smart or well-prepared in my book. It actually speaks volumes that such individuals had no problems in obtaining an advanced degree in nursing, especially a CRNA one.

Btw, here are the amazingly simple ECFMG requirements for certification in this country: http://www.ecfmg.org/certification/requirements-for-certification.html .

Last edited by a moderator:
Only married the crna bc he could never close the deal w the anesthesiologist.... Had to bring the A game.... N I guess he didn't - I should know shes my BFF lol. Jk Seeing her n the twins next week in dallas. Where are u now these days np?
I am very happy and in love with my wife. I take our union seriously. Hope all is well! Happy to have my crna!

Last edited:
Meh, chemical engineering graduates are more intelligent than communication majors......some groups just are smarter

Well, that may be true on average, in the sense that there's probably a correlation between successfully graduating from a hard science major and being highly intelligent whereas with the soft sciences the material isn't as challenging which leads to more people with less than stellar I.Q.s being able to graduate from those majors.

BUT we have to be careful in declaring certain majors less intelligent than others, not just because it's offensive but because the fact that certain majors are less difficult doesn't directly prove that the people who chose them did so because they couldn't cut it in a more difficult major. It may be true in some cases but we can't assume it's that way in general.

Well, that may be true on average, in the sense that there's probably a correlation between successfully graduating from a hard science major and being highly intelligent whereas with the soft sciences the material isn't as challenging which leads to more people with less than stellar I.Q.s being able to graduate from those majors.

BUT we have to be careful in declaring certain majors less intelligent than others, not just because it's offensive but because the fact that certain majors are less difficult doesn't directly prove that the people who chose them did so because they couldn't cut it in a more difficult major. It may be true in some cases but we can't assume it's that way in general.

The "in general" is exactly the manner in which it is true...there are outliers and exceptions but in general it's true

It is politically incorrect to suggest that people who go to medical school are on average brighter than people who go to nursing school.:nono:

As is typical, the politically incorrect statement would then be the true statement. :whistle:

Hi SB247, do you really think that most people who choose a soft science would not be able to handle a more difficult subject? I guess you're not alone in that considering how the soft sciences and arts are looked down upon but the idea that most people who choose those fields choose them because they're less intelligent and not because it's what they enjoy seems off to me. The thing is that if you're truly passionate about sociology or psychology, you're not going to choose engineering regardless of whether you could learn it.

I've seen some people on this board (not you specifically) even look down on research scientists by saying that most choose the path because they couldn't go to med school, which was shocking to me because those aren't fluffy fields and many are heavier in physics and engineering than medical school is (though medical school seems more intensive.)

There are just so many variables that come into play with choosing a major or graduate program, like the fact that not everyone wants to deal with sickness and death which can be emotionally draining and even drive some people to despair (some can't stand the sight of blood and that has nothing to do with IQ or grades). There's also wanting to delve deeper into a single subject like genetics rather than learning about the entire body or being fascinated by viruses and not so much humans, having a desire to create medications rather than prescribe them and so many more.

As for nursing, there are loads of reasons someone might choose it over medicine that don't involve a lower I.Q. but granted, being an easier subject, it will also attract some folks who couldn't cut it in medical school but I doubt that's the case with the majority. I had relatives try to persuade me to go that route because people see it as a relatively easy path to a secure income (heck it's a AA degree so it's a pretty damn good deal in terms of time/money investment-income, haha). I wouldn't call it a dumb decision at all if your situation doesn't allow for pursuing a 10+ year long degree!

I wouldn't call it a dumb decision at all if your situation doesn't allow for pursuing a 10+ year long degree!

Nor would I. In fact, racking up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt in pursuit of the soul crushing experience of becoming a physician might be considered the dumb decision.

Hi SB247, do you really think that most people who choose a soft science would not be able to handle a more difficult subject? I guess you're not alone in that considering how the soft sciences and arts are looked down upon but the idea that most people who choose those fields choose them because they're less intelligent and not because it's what they enjoy seems off to me. The thing is that if you're truly passionate about sociology or psychology, you're not going to choose engineering regardless of whether you could learn it.

I've seen some people on this board (not you specifically) even look down on research scientists by saying that most choose the path because they couldn't go to med school, which was shocking to me because those aren't fluffy fields and many are heavier in physics and engineering than medical school is (though medical school seems more intensive.)

There are just so many variables that come into play with choosing a major or graduate program, like the fact that not everyone wants to deal with sickness and death which can be emotionally draining and even drive some people to despair (some can't stand the sight of blood and that has nothing to do with IQ or grades). There's also wanting to delve deeper into a single subject like genetics rather than learning about the entire body or being fascinated by viruses and not so much humans, having a desire to create medications rather than prescribe them and so many more.

As for nursing, there are loads of reasons someone might choose it over medicine that don't involve a lower I.Q. but granted, being an easier subject, it will also attract some folks who couldn't cut it in medical school but I doubt that's the case with the majority. I had relatives try to persuade me to go that route because people see it as a relatively easy path to a secure income (heck it's a AA degree so it's a pretty damn good deal in terms of time/money investment-income, haha). I wouldn't call it a dumb decision at all if your situation doesn't allow for pursuing a 10+ year long degree!
I do think that most people choosing other things would not get through the process of applying and getting through medical school...most the people that do want it, don't make it

Doesn't make their decision dumb, you play the cards life deals you

Politics aside..., congrats! Be happy for the man