married with children... med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help me...
I haven't been able to get the thought of med school and being
an MD out of my mind for about 2 years now. However, I got
married and had a daughter during that time. Will having a child
or children affect my studying now and/or in med school? Am I
being impractical even thinking about applying?
Please let me know your experiences.
Thanks.
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know your whole situation, but many med students have
kids.
If you've got that feeling, don't ignore it... if you've got the
medical school bug... that means something.

Evaluate your financial and support situations, then follow your
heart. Never be one who says "what if?"

Best wishes,

Jim Henderson, MD

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net

With proper time management, you should be able to juggle obligations between your family and schoolwork. You'll definitely be busy, but I have heard that it is actually easier to have a partner who is helping you by accomplishing the household tasks while you are busy studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
With proper time management, you should be able to juggle obligations between your family and schoolwork. You'll definitely be busy, but I have heard that it is actually easier to have a partner who is helping you by accomplishing the household tasks while you are busy studying.
nice. 14 year necrobump, I didn't even know SDN was that old.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you'd find that there are plenty of people in any given class that are married, married with a kid, or even multiple kids. My uncle was 30+ when he started with multiple kids and it's been fine. I am planning on starting the kids while I am in medical school. Now I just need to find someone (JUST KIDDING- already married!) If you need a plan just find a post from streampaw and there should be plenty of advice.

Why are the first two posts by the same guy? Why is he replying to himself? :eek:

looks like OP works in administration at U. Iowa.

LOL I legitimately didn't think SDN existed this long

It looks like the OP was posting for someone who sent him a question by email and then responded to that question.
I second NVdisG's comment and would add that now that ricespice's kid is in HS, things should be both easier and harder in terms of time management.

Reactions: 1 user
Jim Henderson was last seen:

Feb 6, 2008

^Looking at this on old posts always intrigues me.

is this the biggest necro ever here?

I think you'd find that there are plenty of people in any given class that are married, married with a kid, or even multiple kids. My uncle was 30+ when he started with multiple kids and it's been fine. I am planning on starting the kids while I am in medical school. Now I just need to find someone (JUST KIDDING- already married!) If you need a plan just find a post from streampaw and there should be plenty of advice.
I know it's a necrobump, but I will add that the oldest person in my class is like 45 with teenaged daughters. A few people have younger kids (one had a baby a year ago and another's wife gave birth last week)!

Anything is doable with time management.

I think it really depends on:

If you're the one taking care of the kid. Expected gender roles and all that. Your husband might expect you to do all of the child rearing.

How busy your spouse is with work/ do they have time to take care of the kid when you're not there? part time worker v 60hr a week really spells out the difference.

Presence of Nanny or close family member who can babysit frequently

If female;finding the best time to have a kid. Between year 2 and 3? Before residency?

Also, lol necrobump.