Program-Specific Info / Q's Mary Baldwin OTD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lotte17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI! I have an interview this Friday 9/26/14 at Mary Baldwin for their OTD program. This is my first grad school interview ever. Does anyone have any insight on the program, or have had an interview etc??

Members don't see this ad.

HI! I have an interview this Friday 9/26/14 at Mary Baldwin for their OTD program. This is my first grad school interview ever. Does anyone have any insight on the program, or have had an interview etc??

I recently applied to Mary Baldwin and just found out yesterday I got called back for an interview as well in 3 days! This is also my first grad school interview ever and am SUPPERR NERVOUS!!! I hope your interview went well! Do you have any advice for me and give me an idea of what questions they asked? I would really appreciate it! Thank you soooo much!

yeah they were all great there!! super friendly and the facilities are beautiful! you interview with two separate faculty members, I don't remember his name but the directer of the OT program interviewed me and he is a little tough. Just be very confident and straight forward with him. Be yourself but be very confident. Where a suit and comfortable shoes, you walk around the whole building. the facilities are beautiful. Shannon Brown the admissions coordinator is a sweetheart and EXTREMELY helpful and supportive so if you get very nervous talk to her.

Members don't see this ad :)
What Don713 said!
The OT director is Dr. Ben Herz... I could definitely feel the "pressure" from his interview haha. He randomly broke off into the roll of a patient and I recognized (after a few very confusing moments) that he wanted me to play the OT. He is the one who actually called me to notify me of my acceptance, which I thought was awesome.

Best of luck to you! It is an awesome program and beautiful building.

Don713- are you planning on attending here?

BrOT_21,

I wrote that post as Don713... i just realized I was on my friends computer so it came up as his account!! I haven't heard back from them yet!! I had my interview on September 26th so I'm hoping it will be soon! when did you interview and how long did it take to hear back?

Are you planning to attend there? and where else did you apply?

what do you think about MSOT vs OTD?

BrOT_21,

I wrote that post as Don713... i just realized I was on my friends computer so it came up as his account!! I haven't heard back from them yet!! I had my interview on September 26th so I'm hoping it will be soon! when did you interview and how long did it take to hear back?

Are you planning to attend there? and where else did you apply?

what do you think about MSOT vs OTD?

My interviews went very well! They were super nice and you could definitely feel the pressure from Dr. Herz all right! I was told that they notify you within 2-3 weeks after your interview date if you get accepted or not, but they still haven't planned a admissions meeting (according to Shannon Brown) which is why it might take longer for us to be notified.

I definitely am interested in Mary Baldwin and would love to attend there if I get accepted. I've only applied to 3 schools so far: Shenandoah, Mary Baldwin, and Brenau but might apply to more! I just got notified this morning that I have an interview with Brenau so wish me luck! I went to VCU for undergrad, but am kind of nervous to apply to their OT program because of how competitive I heard it is! I think I still may though just for the heck of it!

According to Dr. Herz, all the MSOT programs will be changing to OTD very soon. VCU is getting their doctorate's program in two years along with other schools near by! So that is just the direction that OT is moving towards which I am excited about! MIght as well stay an extra year and earn your doctorate's is the way I see it.

Lotte17-

Well I applied early decision back in August, interviewed early September and heard back 10 days later of my acceptance! I applied only to VCU last year and didn't stand a chance in their pool of applicants. I contemplated applying to other schools but just decided Murphy Deming is where I will call home for the next few years. The faculty was awesome, building is amazing, and I love the area (I'll be coming from the DC area, so being away from the city and traffic will be a nice change ha).

I work in a hand therapy clinic right now and spoke with one of the OTs about OTD vs MSOT. She just attended a seminar in Baltimore and returned saying , "I think it is a wise choice to go for your doctorate instead of a masters". She said OT is changing, and like PT, is going to require a more rigorous education in the near future. As far as I see it, I will just be more prepared for whatever setting I decide to enter. Everyone's argument regarding OTD seems to be the price, which is understandable. But like anything, you get what you pay for. Being 27 years old with a doctorate in an emerging field and having a career for the rest of my life is much more important than "getting in and getting out" with as little debt as possible. I plan on returning back home to Northern VA to practice where the salary is on the higher end (as well as cost of living ofcourse).

Best of luck to all of you! Be sure to let us know if you receive an acceptance!

BrOT_21,

That's a great way too look at it. I would definitely prefer to get my doctorate, especially from Murphy Deming, its such an amazing program, but the student loans are just so daunting. Hopefully It'll be worth it! At least cost of living is cheap in the Shenandoah Valley, and Virginia is one of the higher salary states for OT and much cheaper living than my home state of New Jersey.

Thanks! I'll keep you posted! cant wait to hear

My interviews went very well! They were super nice and you could definitely feel the pressure from Dr. Herz all right! I was told that they notify you within 2-3 weeks after your interview date if you get accepted or not, but they still haven't planned a admissions meeting (according to Shannon Brown) which is why it might take longer for us to be notified.

I definitely am interested in Mary Baldwin and would love to attend there if I get accepted. I've only applied to 3 schools so far: Shenandoah, Mary Baldwin, and Brenau but might apply to more! I just got notified this morning that I have an interview with Brenau so wish me luck! I went to VCU for undergrad, but am kind of nervous to apply to their OT program because of how competitive I heard it is! I think I still may though just for the heck of it!

According to Dr. Herz, all the MSOT programs will be changing to OTD very soon. VCU is getting their doctorate's program in two years along with other schools near by! So that is just the direction that OT is moving towards which I am excited about! MIght as well stay an extra year and earn your doctorate's is the way I see it.

Hey when did you apply to Brenau? I also applied to Brenau and Shenandoah but have not heard back from either yet.

Hey when did you apply to Brenau? I also applied to Brenau and Shenandoah but have not heard back from either yet.
I applied to Brenau and Shenandoah at the same time around end of October, I haven't heard from Shenandoah yet except the fact that they received my application and Brenau invited me to interview on Nov 17th. Still waiting to hear back from Murphy Deming, my interview was Nov 1st so i'm just waiting for 2-3 weeks to pass to hear from them!

I just found out on Friday that I was offered an interview for Murphy Deming! Unfortunately, they wanted me to come next weekend, but I can't because I am already committed to two interviews in other states. So now I will be interviewing on December 6th. I guess on one hand I will already have two interviews under my belt, but I am worried they will already have filled most of their class :(

For anyone that came in from out-of-state, where did you stay? My appointment is for 8 AM and I have a 5 hour drive, so I'l have to stay the night before. Thanks, everyone!

To any of you who have interviewed at Murphy Deming-- How do you feel about the fact that the school only has Candidacy status? I am concerned about going to a school that is not yet full accredited. Would love to know more about this. Thanks.

Just got my acceptance from Mary Baldwin this morning!!!!!! :soexcited:

As for the candidacy status, I remember Dr. Herz mentioning that the school is on their way to receive full accreditation so it is only a matter of time! I personally am just in love with the program and the people/staff so I am super excited about this opportunity!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my acceptance from Mary Baldwin this morning!!!!!! :soexcited:

As for the candidacy status, I remember Dr. Herz mentioning that the school is on their way to receive full accreditation so it is only a matter of time! I personally am just in love with the program and the people/staff so I am super excited about this opportunity!

Congratulations!!!!

Would you mind posting your stats?

I just received an invitation to interview at Mary Baldwin as well. I am curious as to whether this is a group interview (with other prospective students) or if it will just be me. brigthon421-- What sort of time constraints did they give you for responding to your acceptance?

I just got accepted this morning as well!!

kls377- They expect to have another visit to determine full accreditation status this coming spring, in April I believe... so they are already pretty far along. The curriculum makers of this program have been apart of plenty other programs so they know what they're doing, I'm fully confident that it will be accredited in 2015.

Also, you will have 2 individual 30 minute interviews. As well as a presentation about the school/program and a tour.

I have an interview at Murphy Deming this Saturday! I am in love with this program and so excited to learn more and see the building. Any advice for the interview aspect of it? What type of questions were you asked?

I just found out on Friday that I was offered an interview for Murphy Deming! Unfortunately, they wanted me to come next weekend, but I can't because I am already committed to two interviews in other states. So now I will be interviewing on December 6th. I guess on one hand I will already have two interviews under my belt, but I am worried they will already have filled most of their class :(

For anyone that came in from out-of-state, where did you stay? My appointment is for 8 AM and I have a 5 hour drive, so I'l have to stay the night before. Thanks, everyone!

Hey I just had an interview at Murphy Deming and I came from out of state. There is a Hampton Inn that is like 2 minutes away from the school that they give you a discounted rate at if you tell them you are interviewing at Murphy Deming.

Hey I just had an interview at Murphy Deming and I came from out of state. There is a Hampton Inn that is like 2 minutes away from the school that they give you a discounted rate at if you tell them you are interviewing at Murphy Deming.

Fantastic! Thank you so much!

Hope you had a great interview! Any chance you would give us your opinion on the program and the school?

Fantastic! Thank you so much!

Hope you had a great interview! Any chance you would give us your opinion on the program and the school?

The program and the school were amazing!!! Definitely my first choice. Now I just have to wait for the next 2-3 weeks. Murphy Deming has state of the art facilities that no other school I have interviewed with or visited had! The new building is beautiful! The program is very organized and definitely prepares you to get out in the field. I loved it! Good luck on your interview!

The program and the school were amazing!!! Definitely my first choice. Now I just have to wait for the next 2-3 weeks. Murphy Deming has state of the art facilities that no other school I have interviewed with or visited had! The new building is beautiful! The program is very organized and definitely prepares you to get out in the field. I loved it! Good luck on your interview!

That is awesome to hear! It is definitely in my top two choices. The location is better than the other school I would really like to get into. Virginia is a lot closer to family.

Does it worry you that the program is just starting out? I felt the same way about the facilities at Belmont University and they were the first established OTD program. If by some miracle I would happen to get into both, I don't know what I would pick.

HopefulOT17,

I just had an interview at Belmont last week and I am so stuck between Murphy Deming and Belmont (given I get in). Belmont is in a much cooler town.. well in a town at all haha MD is kinda in the middle of nowhere but that is probably good for distractions. However, Belmont is 30k more which is a lot since I am using loans to pay for everything but with that comes there amazing reputation and years more of experience and connections. SUCH a hard choice!!

It worries me a little bit that MD is just starting out and not accredited yet, but they really do seem to have a good handle on things, and great resources.

HopefulOT17,

I just had an interview at Belmont last week and I am so stuck between Murphy Deming and Belmont (given I get in). Belmont is in a much cooler town.. well in a town at all haha MD is kinda in the middle of nowhere but that is probably good for distractions. However, Belmont is 30k more which is a lot since I am using loans to pay for everything but with that comes there amazing reputation and years more of experience and connections. SUCH a hard choice!!

I was at Belmont on the 14th for the morning interviews! I LOVED Belmont so much. Now I am just terrified I won't get in.

I am going into Murphy Deming with an open mind since it is a completely different school. I feel like it is polar opposite of Belmont. I grew up in a rural area, so who knows, I might fall in love with Murphy Deming too.

I fell in love with the program and facilities of MD but It concerns me that its brand new. And I don't really like that it is not a school/campus. It is just one building alone on top of a hill... a VERY VERY VERY nice building but that's it... they do have OT PT & PA so it is much more interdisciplinary than Belmont which I did like a lot. I think if MD was accredited and in a better location I would be sold on it.

I JUST RECEIVED MY ACCEPTANCE! I am definitely attending Murphy Deming as I loved the facility and program when I was there. Coming from a large university in the city ( University of Pittsburgh) I am in need of some mountains and quiet. Anybody else definitely attending here?

Reactions: 1 user
awesome! I am so excited to meet everybody in our class!

Congrats everyone! We need to start a Facebook group!

definitely! I spoke to Shannon Brown this morning and they said after the holidays they will put one together for the incoming class but we should just do it ourselves haha

I just had my interview yesterday. You all were right about Shannon Brown, she was amazing! By far my favorite person. I feel that my interview went very well. I am more confident about that interview than any other one I have done. I interviewed with a clinician and Dr. Ellington.

We were told that we would hear back before the holidays of our acceptance! The school is definitely more secluded than I expected, but I still think there are a great deal of opportunities in the area and it is definitely a beautiful part of the country!

The one thing that disappointed me is the lack of program specific info. I didn't get a chance to talk to anyone about their field work or post-didactic course work. I am going to send out an email to Shannon Brown and hopefully get some more information.

HopefulOT17,

that was my major disappointment too. They didn't have a lot of information yet because this is still the first semester for there OTs so they haven't even done a lot of fieldwork or anything yet. It definitely makes me nervous that this is only their first year

Has anyone heard back from the interviews on 12/6? I am getting so nervous!

I emailed Shannon Brown and Dr. Herz yesterday about the possibility of sending them an unofficial transcript until the OTCAS clears my official transcript. I retook A&P II and want them to see that. I haven't heard anything back though and normally they are super quick :(

I was invited for an interview last friday (12/12/14) and replied/confirmed yesterday. Does anyone know how long it usually takes Shannon Brown or anyone else to contact you back?

When I scheduled my interview, Shannon and I emailed back and forth a couple times the same day. Normally they are super quick, which makes me wonder why I haven't heard back two days later.

Good luck with your interview! When is it?

When I scheduled my interview, Shannon and I emailed back and forth a couple times the same day. Normally they are super quick, which makes me wonder why I haven't heard back two days later.

Good luck with your interview! When is it?
She replied a few days ago! My interview is on January 16th! I'm really nervous and excited

Congratulations and best of luck! They were seriously the kindest faculty I've met!

I was put on the wait list, but I also had two Cs in prerequisites that I retook this past semester. Fingers crossed I'll get accepted!

Congrats to all of the newly admitted students! I am a current student at Murphy Deming and love it! I'm happy to answer questions if anyone has them. If anyone is looking for housing, my roommates and I are trying to get our 3 bedroom house rented out by May, it's a great and incredibly affordable little place close to the school we just need more space because one of our roommates is getting married. Good luck everyone!

Anyone who interviewed on 1/16/15 hear back yet? This wait is killing me! I loveeee MD so much! It looks like an amazing program

I was interviewed on 1/16 and am patiently waiting. I know tomorrow marks 2 weeks but they did say 2-3 weeks. Is Mary Baldwin your top choice?

I just got accepted. Dr. Ben Herz just called me to let me know!

Last edited:
Congratulations! That is awesome he calls you to let you know!

Anyone attending interviews for February 20th?

I was surprised they were still interviewing people at all, but I am strongly considering flying in...

Congratulations, Fbomb 10! Has anyone else heard from MD? Do they also contact with email or regular mail? I haven't heard anything so I was wondering how they communicate wait list and rejections.

Congratulations, Fbomb 10! Has anyone else heard from MD? Do they also contact with email or regular mail? I haven't heard anything so I was wondering how they communicate wait list and rejections.

I was told by email that I had been placed on their wait list. Fingers crossed that I hear something back soon!

Has anyone heard from Murphy Deming recently? I was wondering if they had taken anyone off the wait list.

I haven't yet. I'm starting to get a little sad about it actually.