Mass, velocity, and time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riseNshine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

In projectile motion, regardless of mass, objects that start at the same height and velocity will reach the ground at the same time correct?

I've run into some problems where the answers state that the greater the mass of an object, the more quickly an object falls and the greater its terminal velocity...Do we only consider mass of the object in cases where we also account for terminal velocity? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

In projectile motion, regardless of mass, objects that start at the same height and velocity will reach the ground at the same time correct?

I've run into some problems where the answers state that the greater the mass of an object, the more quickly an object falls and the greater its terminal velocity...Do we only consider mass of the object in cases where we also account for terminal velocity? thanks.

You only consider mass when non-conservative forces are involved i.e. air resistance, friction. When air resistance is a factor....mass and surface area affect flight time.

like others said, basically in perfect conditions ( like a vacuum I think) yes, they would hit at the same time.

Members don't see this ad :)