Massachusetts law on benzodiazepine prescribing to be heard in committee in April

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birchswing

Non-medical
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the proposed law:

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/189/House/H4062

It will require patient's written informed consent. The prescription paper itself will be brightly colored with warnings about dependency, and doctors will not be allowed to discontinue patients in ways other than described by the legislature's recommendations on tapering (most likely will be something adopted along the lines of the BNF).

This is the first legislation I have come across in the US that deals with the details of prescribing and withdrawing, which is rather unique among most other countries. I hope that the legislation is good and if it is will be copied across the country.

There's a documentary coming out in 2017 on benzodiazepine dependency in the US that I think might start to get this topic attention it needs.

Members don't see this ad.

i've probably been living in the country too long but I am strongly opposed to any such legislation. it's a slippery slope. The government should not be interfering in the practice of medicine -it is bound to end in tragedy. The bill is also factually wrong as there are a number of conditions where long-term treatment with benzodiazepines (defined as >4 weeks) are not only not contraindicated, but the standard of care. These include, refractory epilepsy, stiff person syndrome, REM sleep behavior disorder, catatonia occuring in the context of a primary psychiatric disorder or secondary to neurological disease such as autoimmune limbic encephalitis, in the treatment of acute mania, in patients with psychosis who are unresponsive to neuroleptics, and in the management of agitation and aggression in traumatic brain injury where other treatments have failed. I recognize that the vast majority of benzo prescriptions are written for patients with neurotic or personality disorder rather than the neuropsychiatric disorders listed above, but a one size fits all legislation that is highly reactive will do a great disservice to patients, and unnecessarily frighten patients (or their families) about drugs that may do an enormous amount of good. Benzodiazepines, when used appropriately and judiciously, are among the most effective treatments in the psychiatrists' pharmacopoeia. really state medical boards need to up their game here (and many are), and tort law is the best avenue to mold physician behavior. if we see more lawsuits against physicians for negligent prescribing of benzodiazepines then people will start thinking twice.

Let's not forget, governmental reaction to the prescription opiate epidemic essentially left patients on opioids struggling to get treatment for their pain, led to the rise of heroin (and now fentanyl addiction) in people who would never have otherwise used heroin, and further fueled the rising deaths from opioids. What will almost certainly happen if this goes through is that:
1) physicians will not want to prescribe these drugs to patients who are already taking them long term and these patients will be forced to get their benzos (or other drugs) elsewhere or go into withdrawal as they cannot force physicians to continue seeing these patients
2) patients who actually need these drugs will be scared from taking them, with potentially fatal consequences
3) there will be an increase in prescription of other sedative drugs such as atypical antipsychotics, gabapentin/pregabalin, and barbiturates, with the attendant risks of these treatments

Reactions: 7 users
@splik, I didn't see where it prevented long-term use. The only time-frame restriction I saw was in preventing refills of benzodiazepines when the original prescription was for less than 10 days (likely to prevent an issue where a doctor prescribes a one-off Xanax for an MRI or something like that being refilled). The bill does not include a lot of details, including what the actual guidelines are on discontinuing. I agree that it could be something well-intentioned that has unintended negative consequences, which is why I said I hope it's a good bill. I do think written informed consent is a good idea, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
the bill includes specific language stating that long-term use of benzodiazepines (i.e. >4 weeks) is contraindicated. it is true that for insomnia or anxiety neurosis there is no good evidence beyond 4 weeks for the majority of individuals, as I mentioned there are a number of neuropsychiatric disorders in which long term benzodiazepine treatment is not contraindicated. That doesn't prevent long-term use but it is going to frighten alot of patients and physicians. When the government start legislating against practice, this is when physicians run for the hills so what you will see is physicians become more reluctant to work with these patients. This is already happening. PCPs who were quite happy to endlessly refill xanax prescriptions are now "uncomfortable" with this. it is patients with iatrogenic dependence who will suffer the most. The problem is not simply the language of the bill, it is the existence of a bill at all. As for written consent, there is nothing special about benzodiazepine. Written consent is a good idea for any medication. Some psychiatrists already provide written consent and information for all psychotropic medications. This is far from standard of care, but it is certainly one model of good practice. Personally I am not so much into written consent for drugs but like to document and discuss with patients the indication for a drug, the most common and serious adverse reactions, toxicity in overdose, and the anticipated duration of treatment. patients have access to these records that they can read at their leisure. much better than written consent (which is worthless) if you ask me.

Reactions: 1 user
A bill regarding all controlled substances was passed in out state a few years ago. The intent was good, but it has led to pcp's simply telling patients they have dependent on benzos that they "can't" prescribe them, when they simply don't want the hassle. They then dump them on us.

Once you're hooked on Xanax 1 mg qid, nothing will ever "work" for your anxiety that I switch you to.

Reactions: 3 users
A bill regarding all controlled substances was passed in out state a few years ago. The intent was good, but it has led to pcp's simply telling patients they have dependent on benzos that they "can't" prescribe them, when they simply don't want the hassle. They then dump them on us.

Once you're hooked on Xanax 1 mg qid, nothing will ever "work" for your anxiety that I switch you to.

First world problems. The real struggle.

le sigh.

I think people can agree, though, that there are problematic prescribers. Splik mentioned more lawsuits against bad prescribers and medical boards doing more. If lawsuits were going to work, I think they would have worked a long time ago--going back to the 1960s or so, when benzos became popular. I think it's just too high a bar for the average person to cross. I suppose you could have a class action suit, and I do know there is a group on Facebook looking into that. The logistics of it are beyond me. I don't know a lot about medical boards except the reports I read that they make, and I agree that they seem extraordinarily lenient and usually are about a doctor's own drug use rather than his prescribing. It seems from what I've read that you'd have to do more than inappropriate benzo prescribing to get even an admonition from the board in my state. I have always assumed this was the case due to the shortage of psychiatrists and so that they want to keep everyone they can. Maybe there is another reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
How kind to the patient who just had hip surgery. Just hop in the car and go drive over to the pharmacy. You've got crutches, right?

I'm not aware of all the facts of the case, but years ago in South Australia, they tried to change the legislation for the guidelines on prescribing opiates, except the initial legislation turned out to be a complete disaster because from what I understand instead of helping to prevent abuse of the system when it came to drugs of dependence, it ended up suddenly pulling legitimate patients off their meds. These were people who had been able to get their lives back, return to work, be more active, and all of a sudden they found themselves not only going through a rapid detox but back at square one and looking down the barrel of having to go on disability benefits. In some cases, anecdotally reported at least, some apparently chose to turn to street drugs, feeling as if they had no other choice. Again not 100% sure of the exact legislation or all of the facts, but I think they did end up modifying the prescribing guidelines so that a) Legitimate patients could continue to receive, or be prescribed medication if needed, and b) It made it a lot harder for drug seekers to try and rort the system and scam prescriptions for drugs of dependence.

I'm not aware of all the facts of the case, but years ago in South Australia, they tried to change the legislation for the guidelines on prescribing opiates, except the initial legislation turned out to be a complete disaster because from what I understand instead of helping to prevent abuse of the system when it came to drugs of dependence, it ended up suddenly pulling legitimate patients off their meds. These were people who had been able to get their lives back, return to work, be more active, and all of a sudden they found themselves not only going through a rapid detox but back at square one and looking down the barrel of having to go on disability benefits. In some cases, anecdotally reported at least, some apparently chose to turn to street drugs, feeling as if they had no other choice. Again not 100% sure of the exact legislation or all of the facts, but I think they did end up modifying the prescribing guidelines so that a) Legitimate patients could continue to receive, or be prescribed medication if needed, and b) It made it a lot harder for drug seekers to try and rort the system and scam prescriptions for drugs of dependence.
That's the claim with existing opiate regulations--that they drove people to heroin.

That's the claim with existing opiate regulations--that they drove people to heroin.

I would call it fact, not a "claim" but that is me just being picky. I work at a detox facility and heroin use is way up. Pill abuse is way down. I have not done a study to support this, but it's pretty overwhelming in my area.

I would call it fact, not a "claim" but that is me just being picky. I work at a detox facility and heroin use is way up. Pill abuse is way down. I have not done a study to support this, but it's pretty overwhelming in my area.

Yeah, like I said in the South Australian situation, from what I understand at least, there was no hard evidence for people turning to heroin as a substitute (just anecdotes), but I can see how if someone has done the right thing for years, they are prescribed opiates for absolutely genuine reasons, they don't abuse or sell or their medications, they pass any UDS that is asked of them, and whatever else is required for them to do, and being on this medication has given them back their independence and their lives, then I can see how someone may also become desperate enough to turn to an illicit substance if the prescribed medication is suddenly taken away from them.

I find that continuation of high dose bzd and opiates on a non-intermittent basis is generally inconsistent with recovery, as these patients often tend to get worse and use their dependence on opiates and bzd as evidence of how sick they are.

I've yet to see someone get off disability and get a job because of a remarkable recovery due to Xanax qid. In fact, what I hear more often is, "I'm so sick that I need Xanax qid and now that doesn't even work." They use their dependence as evidence of why they'll never recover. My experience may be different than others.

The debate then becomes, what is our goal as physicians? Keeping people comfortable, or helping them recover? These are often mutually exclusive.

For those few patients that recover and do get jobs because of klonopin and are able to keep them ONLY because of klonopin, then these extended prescriptions certainly do make sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find that continuation of high dose bzd and opiates on a non-intermittent basis is generally inconsistent with recovery, as these patients often tend to get worse and use their dependence on opiates and bzd as evidence of how sick they are.

I've yet to see someone get off disability and get a job because of a remarkable recovery due to Xanax qid. In fact, what I hear more often is, "I'm so sick that I need Xanax qid and now that doesn't even work." They use their dependence as evidence of why they'll never recover. My experience may be different than others.

The debate then becomes, what is our goal as physicians? Keeping people comfortable, or helping them recover? These are often mutually exclusive.

For those few patients that recover and do get jobs because of klonopin and are able to keep them ONLY because of klonopin, then these extended prescriptions certainly do make sense.

The way things work in South Australia now, specifically in regards to the regulation of Schedule 8 opiate medication, I do actually think is fair, and it does tend to weed out the 'But X drug of addiction is the only thing that works for me, don't tell me I need to try other options' drug seeking crowd.

For example, and I've mentioned this on here before but for those who might not know, I am currently prescribed a limited dosage of MS Contin 30 mgs (10 tablets once per month) for the treatment of severe menstrual pain due to endometriosis. I've actually had two separate rounds of prescription for it over the years. First time was around 2003, I'd always had pretty bad period pain but for several years it had been getting steadily worse until every month I was almost completely bedridden. My GP tried me on some hormonal treatments, I reacted badly to those, so she eventually allowed me a time limited prescription of Morphine, once a month, with the caveat that it was only until I had been thoroughly assessed and treated at a local hospital's Gynaecology unit. Two months later I was booked in as a hospital outpatient, and poked, prodded, ultrasounded, scanned, blood drawn, whatever else needed to be done (seriously I had that many internal examinations done that at one point I was almost tempted just to strip off and lie spreadeagled, in the middle of the ward's thoroughfare, and be like "Hey, anyone else wanna have go while you're at it?"). Anyway I was eventually scheduled for surgery 6 weeks later (laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, and diathermy), they found extensive endometriosis lesions and adhesions between my bowel and pelvic wall, they managed to fix all of it and for 2-3 years afterwards it was like night and day -- the Morphine prescriptions were immediately stopped, I barely even had to take paracetamol during my period, it was great. Until it started to reoccur.

Second time around pain gradually worsened again, until I was back to square one. Again I was allowed a time limited supply of Morphine while we concentrated on trying to fix the underlying cause (again), but the second surgery failed for reasons I'm not quite sure of. So then it became a matter of, "Well okay how are we going to manage this in the long term". It wasn't like anyone went, "right, that's it surgery's a bust, just stick her back on Morphine", my medical team still had to prove to the drugs of dependence unit, who authorise ongoing prescriptions of opiates, that a limited supply of Morphine once per month for pain management was the best thing for me under the circumstances, if that's what they even considered to be the most appropriate option. In order for me to receive an authorisation to prescribe a drug of dependence I had to provide a letter from the initial referring GP, a letter from the Surgeon, and a further appointment and treatment review from a Professor of Gynaecology (the head of the department basically), all stating that they had exhausted all other treatment options/or other options were not suitable. The authorisation is reviewed every 12 months, it is only valid for the clinic where the notification of authorisation is held (in other words I don't have a copy I can just take to another Doctor's surgery and scam some extra pills), and I am required to nominate one chemist to pick the medication up from and if I try and get it from anywhere else then I'm pretty much in breach of the terms of the authorisation. Considering my age as well I also keep a close eye on any changes to my menstrual cycle, because once I hit menopause, and I no longer need the Morphine for pain relief, then obviously the DoD-U needs to know that so they can remove the authorisation.

And yeah it's not an ideal situation or solution, but at least now my life doesn't come to a grinding halt 5-7 days out of every month and I'm actually able to get up and do stuff. I think the difference between the patients who's lives are genuinely changed, or at least improved through medication like opiates, and those that just wanna bang on about how they 'need' their meds and nothing else works and no I'm not going to try any alternatives, is the patients who the medications do truly help are the ones that are fed up enough to do whatever is required to get some semblance of normality back in their life -- whether that's exercise, hydrotherapy, surgery, non addictive potential medications, acupuncture, doing the hokey pokey and turning themselves about, or a prescription of a controlled substance. In other words I think most of us don't just want the 'easy fix' we want a solution that's actually going to work.

Just my humble opinion and experience of course. :=|:-):

It's not all about addictions. It's the overprescribing 'to help people feel comfortable' thus contributing to the cycle of dependency upon a medication which ties into the instant gratification cycle.

Drug meet behavior, behavior meet drug. Now go wild without consequence.

ASAM says that education is the most important aspect to prevent this cycle. In a sense, true. But with the quality of education and personality dynamics, the information is lost upon the clouded (pain and/or emotions) mind. I remember some articles citing that we need to get away from the 'parental' approach to medicine and collaborate in a caring environment. I wonder if this sentiment comes with sprinkles. This is further demonstrated by idiotic satisfaction surveys and stupid pain scales created by nurses.

At the end of the day, we need to say "No" without malice but in an authoritative position where their needs will be managed in a manner that is helpful and contributes to their sense of wellbeing. Physicians who cannot are practitioners who have difficulties with boundaries and their own personality dynamics which enable patients.

Reactions: 4 users
It's not all about addictions. It's the overprescribing 'to help people feel comfortable' thus contributing to the cycle of dependency upon a medication which ties into the instant gratification cycle.

Drug meet behavior, behavior meet drug. Now go wild without consequence.

ASAM says that education is the most important aspect to prevent this cycle. In a sense, true. But with the quality of education and personality dynamics, the information is lost upon the clouded (pain and/or emotions) mind. I remember some articles citing that we need to get away from the 'parental' approach to medicine and collaborate in a caring environment. I wonder if this sentiment comes with sprinkles. This is further demonstrated by idiotic satisfaction surveys and stupid pain scales created by nurses.

At the end of the day, we need to say "No" without malice but in an authoritative position where their needs will be managed in a manner that is helpful and contributes to their sense of wellbeing. Physicians who cannot are practitioners who have difficulties with boundaries and their own personality dynamics which enable patients.

Agreed, totally. :thumbup:

On a semi related topic, I've figured out a better way to get pain scores... On a scale of one to ten, now you're not a 10 because you would be unconscious, or a 9 because you wouldn't be able to talk to me, how bad is the pain? And remember, an 8 is so bad that nothing I can do makes it worse... And the physical exam is next and its very important that I do a very complete exam if you're in a lot of pain!

On a semi related topic, I've figured out a better way to get pain scores... On a scale of one to ten, now you're not a 10 because you would be unconscious, or a 9 because you wouldn't be able to talk to me, how bad is the pain? And remember, an 8 is so bad that nothing I can do makes it worse... And the physical exam is next and its very important that I do a very complete exam if you're in a lot of pain!

Tell nurses, JAHCO and hospital admin to get rid of that metric as it is useless. You'd have to organize and do research on how useless it is. Attend many pain conferences and publish a ton.

This is fine, but it's no longer a pain score. You are imparting your slant on it in a way that was not intended and it no longer bears any meaning. An 8 is not so bad that nothing you can do would make it worse (8's can go to 9's and 10's).
Tell nurses, JAHCO and hospital admin to get rid of that metric as it is useless.
Pain score is useless because folks try to give it a meaning it doesn't have.

It is not a measure of pain. It's a measure of patient's report of subjective pain. When you try to hedge it or put your spin on it, it loses that value.

If someone is hypersensitive to pain, when they rate it on their scale, it can be helpful for tracking trending and response to treatment. If someone is malingering, it can be helpful to compare their pain claim with objective evidence. Etc.

Pain sores fail when physicians try to give them meaning they don't have. They're just reports of how patient's view their pain. Period.

I have a patient working at a restaurant now on Xanax qid.

This is fine, but it's no longer a pain score. You are imparting your slant on it in a way that was not intended and it no longer bears any meaning. An 8 is not so bad that nothing you can do would make it worse (8's can go to 9's and 10's).

Pain score is useless because folks try to give it a meaning it doesn't have.

It is not a measure of pain. It's a measure of patient's report of subjective pain. When you try to hedge it or put your spin on it, it loses that value.

If someone is hypersensitive to pain, when they rate it on their scale, it can be helpful for tracking trending and response to treatment. If someone is malingering, it can be helpful to compare their pain claim with objective evidence. Etc.

Pain sores fail when physicians try to give them meaning they don't have. They're just reports of how patient's view their pain. Period.

That's how metrics work. You interpret the score.
There also a reason why they had this silly notion of calling it the "5th vital sign". Like any other vital sign, you need to check it and interpret the value and apply treatment as necessary.
There are times where people have 160/100 BP but because they don't have other symptoms associated with this value, it's not treated. Others will notice that it's constantly 148/96 and medications are applied and treatment is rendered. A lot of treatment is from society consensus and the research to back up the sequlae in not addressing it.

Then there is pain. And satisfaction survey's are derived off of this value and the subjectivity associated. This is why everyone leaves the ER with a pain script whether they want one or not.

I get the same results in half the time. I just ask "What is your pain on a scale of 0-7?"

There also a reason why they had this silly notion of calling it the "5th vital sign". Like any other vital sign, you need to check it and interpret the value and apply treatment as necessary.
Oi, don't get me started on pain as the fifth vital sign thing...

Isn't it the first year of medical school when they teach us the difference between a sign and a symptom?