Massachusetts Limited License Question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Muchacho

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In Massachusetts there is a Limited License granted for a foreign trained dentist to practice as a resident dentist (under supervision of a dentist) for up to 5 years (1 year license with 5 renewal options). You must work in a hospital or a health center.

I have been told that after the five years, Massachusetts will grant you a full license in the state to practice dentistry. Has anyone gone through this, or know if this is true?

Members don't see this ad.

Muchacho said:
In Massachusetts there is a Limited License granted for a foreign trained dentist to practice as a resident dentist (under supervision of a dentist) for up to 5 years (1 year license with 5 renewal options). You must work in a hospital or a health center.

I have been told that after the five years, Massachusetts will grant you a full license in the state to practice dentistry. Has anyone gone through this, or know if this is true?

Is't true ?

They are quite specific that the license has to be renewed every year and up to 5 years. I didn't find anything saying a regular license could/would be granted after that period of time:
MA LIMITED LICENSE.

If anyone finds anything regarding 'after 5 years of limited license' please post here...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeap, it's true.

I suggest you to contact directly the board of MA ([email protected]) for more accurate and updated information and/or visit the website: http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/provider/licensing/occupational/dentist/

I also suggest you, to follow my post for more "informal" information:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=872091

There, I am going to post everything related to "Limited License". Official information through links to the appropriate websites. Furthermore, my experience with the process; because I am seeking (and applying indeed) nowadays a job under this license in MA. If I succeed, I am going to post there.

Does this licence requires a green card??

it's true? i heard about this.
i m also trying to apply for limited license but 1st we need to find hospital or dental center. its very hard to find.
anyone suggest how can i find this?
thank you...

what happens after you get the limited license? can you get an unrestricted license at some point? I read that you can have the limited for five years and get permission to write the NERB.... does that mean once you write the NERB you get an unrestricted license?

Hey I emailed Mass State Board this is the response:

1) Without the DMD or DDS degree from a CODA-accredited dental school, one is not eligible for Massachusetts full dentla licensure. After 5 years on a limited license, and passage of the clinical NERB, one can apply for additional limited licenses indefinitely until meeting all requirements for the full license.

2) Limited licensees do not have to work full-time by our regulations. However, the employer might expect it.

3) Instructions for the initial dental intern limited license include links to web sites that may contain information about position openings for limited license dentists. Other than these listings, we provide no employment assistance.

4) We do not regulate salaries. Inquire of the potential employer.

Jeffrey Mills
Assistant Executive Director

Does any1 know if v need to have green card to apply for limited license in MA?

Hi guys, I currently hold a Massachusetts limited dental license.
First of all you need to have at least one year of experience in the US. Either aegd or GPR.
After that u can apply and whichever hospital, community or prison offers a job they will sign for u to get limited license, they can even grant a working visa.
No boards necessary. And after 5 years you can continue practicing but they don't grant you full license.

First of all you need to have at least one year of experience in the US. Either aegd or GPR.
After that u can apply and whichever hospital, community or prison offers a job they will sign for u to get limited license, they can even grant a working visa.
No boards necessary. And after 5 years you can continue practicing but they don't grant you full license.

Hi which visa status are you in ? Can you plz reply , I am also planning to apply for
Limited dental license

Hey so first we need to find a job and then apply for the licence ?

But on their website it says u can practice and doesn't need any GPR

Hi guys, according to my understanding everyone can apply for limited license in MA. You don't need a year of residency. After 5 years you need to pass the board exam to continue working as limited license. Then you can work as long as you want as limited license but never be unrestricted license.