Massage Therapy License During Gap Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3rdarmageddon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm taking a gap year, and my family and friends are recommending that I go to massage therapy school. The argument is that it would give me some clinical experience (although very different from allopathic practice) and would give me a source of income until and during medical school should I so desire. Personally, I like the idea of learning a trade that could support me until I earn an MD. However, Im worried that admissions officers will look negatively upon pursuing a massage therapy license during a gap year.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do it.

Your family members just want free massages.

Seriously though, it's a ton of hours of training for not that much reward. It'd be something cool to learn on the side if you were doing something more substantial during the gap year as well.

Last edited:
However, Im worried that admissions officers will look negatively upon pursuing a massage therapy license during a gap year.

Any thoughts?

Yeah - Flake
Not nice, I know. And massage can be very therapeutic. But yeah, uh -- flake

How about CNA, EMT or phlebotomy?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, don't do it. How does giving massages is clinical experience relating to the medical field of (medicine wise)? Probably if you did this before going to chiropractor school, it would be fine. In addition, MTS is like a year long or more, so there would go your gap year.

It's an 8-month program, so I would be able to work for about 3-4 months afterwards. Additionally, I would be volunteering and coaching at the same time. I think the general consensus is probably right though.

Ummm 3-4 months of work I don't know if it would look okay with AMCAS. I tell you this because when I ask about myself going to paramedic school they (sdn forums peeps) ask me, will I at least have more than a year working as a paramedic? Because AMCAS will just look at it as if I just go those credentials to look good on my app. Thus not having any long work experience can be crucial. You digg?

Only do this is you plan on going to a DO school....;)

I would not do that... Do you have to take money out for it? If so, for sure don't do it. You won't recoup the money with any kind of benefit.

Just get a research job. Scramble for the NIH Postbac? Go back to Hawaii and work at the Cancer Center? Or find a job at Queen's.

Definitely don't do anything that will cost money. Working at a plate lunch place and volunteering on the side would be better than a massage license.

Ummm 3-4 months of work I don't know if it would look okay with AMCAS. I tell you this because when I ask about myself going to paramedic school they (sdn forums peeps) ask me, will I at least have more than a year working as a paramedic? Because AMCAS will just look at it as if I just go those credentials to look good on my app. Thus not having any long work experience can be crucial. You digg?

Not entirely true - if you want to go into EMS administration or pursue EMS further during/after medical school, it can have value to get that EMTP cert.

It would be a total waste of time and money. Your family is being ridiculous. Get a research position or alternatively get any job and volunteer on your free time.

If you're genuinely interested in learning massage, it's worth pursuing. I wouldn't recommend doing it to try and impress medical schools. I don't see why they would look down on it if you are genuinely passionate about learning it and effectively communicate it with them. It can compliment certain medical specialties and is better than simply volunteering because you're "supposed to".

Not worth it. Massage therapy doesn't count as clinical exposures. Why don't you work in a research facility?

Not entirely true - if you want to go into EMS administration or pursue EMS further during/after medical school, it can have value to get that EMTP cert.
So you are saying its possible to still be a paramedic during medical school? I'm a EMT student right now and I'm applying this week for paramedic school.

Instead of going the massage therapy route, why not opt for a certified personal trainer?
You can learn the material in 2 months MAX. Some people study hard and complete it within 1-2 weeks...

Your pay wont start off great at a franchise gym ( around 10-12 plus comission) but as you build your clientele over the next few months, it will add up and you could be averaging 20-30 and hour.

I recommend the NASM as it the most widely used. And you dont have to look like a bodybuilder or a fitness model to do it. Lots of average joes do it. Just walk into an LA fitness or Gold's gym.

So you are saying its possible to still be a paramedic during medical school? I'm a EMT student right now and I'm applying this week for paramedic school.

I haven't done it but I know those who have - but they're usually interested in EMS medical direction, or EM/EMS fellowships, or EM more broadly.

I wouldn't consider it to be clinical experience because you're seeing clients, not patients. Also if you want to make money during your gap year, you'll probably have more success with a job that doesn't require an expensive training/licensing program!