Massage Therapy? What do you think about it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kelo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At first I wanted to become a doctor of some sort, because I like helping people out. The money never was my motivation.. I ended up going from wanting to be a Dentist or possibly a M.D. to a Massage Therapist.

I am now a Certified and Licensed Massage Therapist with a speciality in Neuromuscular Therapy. :)

I had to take Anatomy 1,2, and 3.. Along with physiology and kinesiology.

My question is... Do you/people think of massage therapists as Doctors?
Also, do you have respect for Massage Therapists? What do you think of them and there job ?

Thanks guys! :D

Members don't see this ad.

14 views and no responses? come on guys....!? :cool: dont be shy :p

oh how i could write a novel about this (being a certified but not licensed MT for four years now).

NO. People do not consider massage to be medical at all. The only time people associate massage with the medical field and not foo-foo relaxation is when they get the massage AT their therapists/chiro office.

Thats why I switched to PT. Your options as an MT are to work for a resort or a small chain like massage envy, or go into business yourself.

the first option means you work for someone who grinds you into the ground with appointments (and, in the case of a place like massage envy, you have a boss who likely knows nothing about the work).

Business for yourself...was never for me. I dont have the time or financial leeway to go about marketing myself manually and hoping it works out.

I decided it would be best to become a therapist who has massage as an extra, distinguishing tool.

Heck, in the state of PA they were turned down a location for a Massage Envy because it was within 100 yards of a church and massage is still classified as "adult entertainment" in PA. Clearly thats different from state to state, but you should definitely do lots more research on the specifics of any place or job or therapist.

There's no truly formal bac or post-bac type education, nor is there consistent state-to-state regulation in terms of minimal qualifications, which doesnt help credibility either.

Members don't see this ad :)
My question is... Do you/people think of massage therapists as Doctors?

you've asked this before and again...no, they are not real doctors. I believe that the public/lay person has a similar sentiment. Massage therapists haven't gone through the extensive training and they aren't as knowledgeable as people with an MD/DO, PhD, DDS/DMD, PharmD, ect. Looking through your post history, you haven't even gotten an undergrad degree, what makes you think that you should be accredited with the same title as a doctor? (serious question)

Also, do you have respect for Massage Therapists? What do you think of them and there job ?
Honestly, I have indifference for massage therapist. I don't really think of them but when I do, my schema of a MT is of a person who helps people, but in a less useful way than someone with an advanced degree (no offense). But don't take it the wrong way, I don't think poorly of MT's, I just don't think of them in the same context as doctors...most of whom define themselves by their careers.

Last edited: