Master vs Doctorate question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaughingGas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I'm asking for a friend that doesn't know about this website yet
according to her , her school told her getting master earns more money than a doctorate, and getting doctorate degree in PT is waste of time and money compared to master.
Someone please clarify this for me...
thank you

Members don't see this ad.

sorry found the answer searching throughout the forums.

Having your BS of PT, MPT, or DPT does not give you anymore pay compared to the other.

BS is not offered anymore, and MPT is QUICKLY going away. It makes no sense to go to a school offering MPT over a DPT since this is the way the profession is going.

The only reason I would see someone doing an MPT program is out of conviencence or cost, which I don't believe there is much difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having your BS of PT, MPT, or DPT does not give you anymore pay compared to the other.

BS is not offered anymore, and MPT is QUICKLY going away. It makes no sense to go to a school offering MPT over a DPT since this is the way the profession is going.

The only reason I would see someone doing an MPT program is out of conviencence or cost, which I don't believe there is much difference.

thank you, through the forum I had a estimation that the MPT are disappearing and eventually only MPT will be replaced with DTPs is this true?

Nah you and your profession are for changing the degree basically in name only for a title

Nah you and your profession are for changing the degree basically in name only for a title

Your erroneous belief that the title is in any way unique only to medicine is laughable. The title represents a certain level of education in a certain field...as an MD/PhD student you should recognize this. The DPT requires a higher level of education when compared against the MPT, thus the name change. This change in education is different in both quantity (years) and quality (philosophy), and not recognizing this is just more reason why you should understand what you are arguing before blindly insulting.

Your (unstated) belief that the title infringes on the practice of medical doctors also demonstrates a foolish understanding of reality. A medical doctor is not confused with a physical therapist who has a doctorate in PT, an attorney with a juris doctorate, or a neurobiologist with a PhD. They have each attained the highest level of education in their respective fields, and are capable of being autonomous in practice...their degrees reflect this.

Be well, but you will have a difficult time in medicine if you maintain this "Army of One" attitude.

No way worried about title infringing

What's the difference between masters and DPT? A year????

It just waters down the title for the rest of us, but whatever I usually don't care but when looking for other info on here I see constant threads and posts on it so I finally put my 2 cents in so suck eggs

How many PTs do you know who ask their patients to address them as "Doctor X"?

How many physicians do you know who introduce themselves to you at a cocktail party as "Dr. X"?

nuff said about who wants the title to elevate them in the eyes of other people.

Most docs I know don't

All I read about on this site is title and degree changes for nurses, PTs, and even pharmacists that want to prescribe too

I don't know a single PT who introduces themselves as Dr. I know plenty MD/DO/PhD/DC/ clinical psychologists who do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably cause most have masters and not a "doctorate"

No way worried about title infringing

What's the difference between masters and DPT? A year????

Read: "This change in education is different in both quantity (years) and quality (philosophy)."

Again, since you are in the dark about current PT education: it was not simply the addition of an extra year of imaging, pharmacology, and diff diagnosis courses - as I have come to see you believe. In addition to the added didactic education, the very nature and context of previous PT training was transformed from the training of a rehabilitation tech that essentially followed a physician-prescribed protocol for an already evaluated patient, to the training of an autonomous thinking PT...aka, a practitioner that can see a patient off the street, evaluate his/her condition, then ultimately decide if the patient is a candidate for physical therapy (if so, is there a suspicion of an underlying pathology) and if not, who is the right practitioner to refer to (physician/dentist/psychiatrist/etc...).

In action, here is a silly little example: Mrs. Jones walks in with a chief complaint of "side pain" that starts near the center of her mid-to-low back. This pain follows a certain dermatome pattern causing the PT to think: radiculopathy. However, oddly enough, her pain can't be made worse with movement, position, or any form of mechanical manipulation, and on inspection, the area appears red and warm. After further probing, Mrs. Jones offers that the pain "just started out of no where." So, with a suspicious history and multiple red flags popping up during the evaluation, the PT refers Mrs. Jones to her physician along with these findings. Subsequently, a "herpes zoster radiculopathy" diagnosis is made.

An integration of medical knowledge that is relevant to physical therapy practice is the norm from day 1 of anatomy.

You do realize, that the initial "MD" was actually a Bachelors of Medicine degree. It was over the course of time and the need for increased levels of education that this eventually grew to a Doctorate of Medicine (MD).

Therefore it makes sense that a young profession such as physical therapy, which began in the late 19th century, would initially begin as a Bachelors program. Gradually as the profession grew it required more and more education to where it is now being a Doctorate of Physical Therapy (DPT) - just as "Doctor" or MD profession evolved into what it is today.

As stated previously by MotionDoc, this is in reference to the level of education acheived by this particular individual. The DPT degree has only been around since 2001 and already 202 out of 212 programs are only offering DPT degrees, where as the other 10 are MPT. Within the next 3-5 years I imagine the other 10 will transition into a DPT program.

Eventually all PTs in the work force will be DPTs and will hopefully gain the respect from other medical professionals (MDs, DOs, etc), patients, and society in general.

The comments you make (homeboysalute) are a great example of why many (those like yourself) in your profession are thought of as egocentric, arrogant, and very unprofessional.

Grow up, act like a professional, if in fact you even are one, and pull your head out your ass instead of trying to talk down on a profession you seem to know nothing about.

With an attitude like that, you don't deserve the title of "doctor." Maybe one day, if you require the services of a physical therapist, I hope you are treated by someone who shows you the compassion that you undoubtedly do not deserve and makes you realize how important we are as physical therapists in the medical world today.

Last edited:
Hey Ms Jones should have just gone to a PMR doc! so she wouldn't have to worry about a PT misdiagnosing or being able to find the unidentifiable "other" and then see a physician! How you find something when you don't even know what you are looking for is beyond me

Then she can go to rehab with her physical therapist

I have respect for every profession Vtech, just not this growing trend of health professionals seeking autonomy they are not prepared for because of their lobby groups and unions (which docs aren't allowed) If we need more docs, increase residency spots! If you want to practice medicine go to medical school!

Hey Ms Jones should have just gone to a PMR doc! so she wouldn't have to worry about a PT misdiagnosing or being able to find the unidentifiable "other" and then see a physician! How you find something when you don't even know what you are looking for is beyond me

Then she can go to rehab with her physical therapist

I have respect for every profession Vtech, just not this growing trend of health professionals seeking autonomy they are not prepared for because of their lobby groups and unions (which docs aren't allowed) If we need more docs, increase residency spots! If you want to practice medicine go to medical school!

Well a PMR doc (as you refer) is going to misdiagnose "Ms. Jones" just as much as any other doc you want to mention. I'm sure many of my colleagues will agree w/ me when I say that we get just as many referrals from MDs w/ the correct diagnosis as we do the incorrect diagnosis. In fact, in most cases, the referring physician won't give anything more than a generic diagnosis such as lumbago, cervicalgia, hip pain, knee pain, shoulder pain. I mean, I'm glad you could come up w/ something like that, helps a lot. Especially when you've asked your patient to pay anywhere form $20-100+ dollars to label them w/ "lumbago." Great job!

If you want to be more specific and talk about the MDs that are trained to know the musculoskeletal system better than anyone, I will still state that approximately 25% of the referrals I receive from many (not all) orthopedic physicians are w/ an incorrect or very vague diagnosis.

Now smart guy, to ask you your own question, how are you going to "diagnose" someone that walks into your office with c/o LBP? You're probably going to do some x-rays, maybe an MRI, ask the patient where the back hurts or what they did? I would agree that you will probably order some imaging to rule out any type of serious pathology. However then when those x-rays come back w/ nothing more than a "disc bulge," mild DDD/DJD, or something that approximately >80% of the population presents with, what are you going to tell that patient when they ask why their back hurts? You will probably say that all they need is some pain meds, a muscle relaxor, or an anti-inflammatory and to come back in 2 weeks if they still hurt. Why? Because you probably won't take the time to talk to them to collect the proper information, or even put your hands on the patient to determine what may be occuring around their spine.

You know, maybe if some individuals in the MD profession (I want to be clear, it's not the profession, but individuals, probably those w/ the same thought process as you) weren't so self centered, and would relinquish the rights to order imaging - which I will say any idiot can be trained on which studies to order, as well as how to read them - then I could order some x-rays to rule out serious pathology and then continue w/ my very thorough examination process to determine the PROPER diagnosis and what they actually need for treatment. Rather than having to send this patient to someone like YOU so they can pay their co-pay, and then have insurance pay $300 for an office visit where nothing is done but some generic x-rays.

I won't go into pharmacology, because honestly I don't feel it is in our professions best interests. PT along w/ Chiropractic medicine both have been around (in some form) since Hippocrates (since he performed many techniques related to both) and both are the most natural practices of medicine. These days, every physician thinks there is a pill that can cure everything, probably why there are so many patients now w/ decreased kidney and liver function, as well as what seems like an epidemic of "GI bleeds" in the hospital that are possibly due to chronic use of certain medications.

You state "how you find something when you don't even know what you are looking for is beyond me..."

Yet then you go on to say "if you want to practice medicine then go to medical school..."

You are obviously very insecure, not only w/ yourself, but with your own professions abilities to diagnose neuromusculoskeletal conditions.

Here's a bit of information that maybe you missed in your 1st semester of medical school (which was probably recently).

We all practice medicine. Medicine is defined as "the science of diagnosing, treating, or preventing disease and other damage to the body or mind." This is done by MDs, DOs, DPTs, DCs, DMD, DDSs, NPs, OTDs, etc etc. There's a reason it is called "the practice of medicine," because I don't care how good, experienced, or smart you are as a practitioner, you do not know how to treat everyone each and everytime. Maybe one day if you learn this, and realize how valuable other medical professionals are around you, you might one day be able to call your self a valuable practitioner. Until then, you're an idiot prescribing drugs while referring to other specialized MDs.

Good Luck buddy!

Last edited:
Your argument is just filled with assinine assumptions about myself and PMR docs misdiagnosing 50% of the time...with nothing to back it up as well as blanket statements about docs overusing drugs (how do you know when it's appropriate?) and they're aren't rebuttals to these...and no you practice PHYSICAL THERAPY or Rehab as your forum name even says not medicine... you concede scripts thank god..and the last thing the healthcare system needs is more people ordering imaging who are less qualified and trained to order and read...I'm out

Your argument is just filled with assinine assumptions about myself and PMR docs misdiagnosing 50% of the time...with nothing to back it up as well as blanket statements about docs overusing drugs (how do you know when it's appropriate?) and they're aren't rebuttals to these...and no you practice PHYSICAL THERAPY or Rehab as your forum name even says not medicine... you concede scripts thank god..and the last thing the healthcare system needs is more people ordering imaging who are less qualified and trained to order and read...I'm out

Assumptions based on the reality of current medical practice...

PTs have time and again proven equal mastery of NMSK evaluation with orthopods, the AAOS has written both about the "beautiful union between orthopedic surgeons and physical therapists" and about physical therapy''s integral role in improving patient outcomes. Yet you take it upon yourself to define the entire profession as redundant (and inferior) to PMR? :laugh:

If it weren't for the would-be students on this forum who don't know any better (as well as the multitude of uninformed individuals as yourself), there really would be no point in responding to any of your invalid points.

Your own anecdontal evidence....yea I'll take that with a big ass grain of salt

Enjoy your beautiful union.....

And that union is the docs dx and treating and physical therapists carrying out...dun dun...physical therapy

And that union is the docs dx and treating and physical therapists carrying out...dun dun...physical therapy

Oh great, you took my example of POST-OP care, and repeated it in different words. This is one facet of physical therapy, not the entirety.

I base my argument on what I see as a professional in every day practice. To disagree with what you believe, I do in fact practice medicine. I just practice physical rehabilitation instead of prescribing medications. You might need to go back and read again the definition of medicine. Here's a better explanation of what medicine is for you to read again...

Medicine is the science and art of healing. It encompasses a range of health care practices evolved to maintain and restore health by the prevention and treatment of illness. Before scientific medicine, healing arts were practiced in accordance with alchemist treatments in accordance with ritual practices that developed out of religion and cultural tradition. The term "Western medicine" was until recently used to refer to scientific and science-based practices, to distinguish them from "Eastern medicine" —which are typically based in traditional, anecdotal, or otherwise non-scientific practices. Contemporary medicine applies health science, biomedical research, and medical technology to diagnose and treat injury and disease, typically through medication, surgery, or some other form of therapy. The word medicine is derived from the Latin ars medicina, meaning the art of healing.

Then you state that we, as physical therapists, would be less qualified to order imaging studies. I beg to differ, and will go on to say, that with the exception of orthopedic surgeons, we are just as qualified, if not more qualified to order imaging studies. Physical therapists are trained to recognize musculoskeletal disorders/diseases without the option of imaging, so therefore we have to be BETTER with our examination in order to determine the issue. I am questioned on a regular basis by many physicians about what imaging is appropriate because THEY understand this, something you will hopefully one day understand.

Whatever, this isn't gonna happen anyway and pull out whatever definition of medicine you want but your title and education says otherwise...I laugh that you are second to only orthopods in your ability to order and read images

And again all personal anecdontal evidence, which is garabage

Let's see 3 years post-bacc vs 4 years and 3-7+ of residency....much more difficult training and a more stringent selection process

Whatever, this isn't gonna happen anyway and pull out whatever definition of medicine you want but your title and education says otherwise...I laugh that you are second to only orthopods in your ability to order and read images

Not once did I mention our "abilities" at ordering and reading imaging studies are better than anyone. Maybe if you paid attention while reading, you'd see that I said we should be allowed to order these imaging studies based several things, 1) being the nature of our practice, 2) being the fact that we actually put our hands on patients. We have more time to spend to with the patients to recognize not just a joints quantity of motion, but also the quality of motion and its end-feel.

So no I did not say our abilities are better, and I won't because they aren't! How could they be? That's like comparing Bryce Harper (recent #1 top pick) to Albert Pujols. Everyone knows Harper has the potential to be one of the greatest hitters every to play the game, but that doesn't mean he is currently - how could he be, he hasn't even got to the Majors yet. I look at PTs in the same manner. Based on our profession and our training, we have the potential to really help the medical community when it comes to ordering imaging studies, which ones to perform, etc. Because of the simple fact that we aren't allowed, we could not possibly be the "best" at this time at doing so, but the potential is there.

You could say the same about DOs, and the fact that they learn all about joint mobilizations, soft tissue mobilization, etc. However, many DOs never uses these methods of treatment 1) because they don't have the time based on the large volume of patients being seen 2) because they feel a PT or DC (since they do this everday) is better trained to do so, and 3) because many just aren't interested in doing so. After a while, they've either forgotten how to do so, or their skills are so poor that it just does not have the outcome that it might have had if done properly.

Do not take what I am saying the wrong way. I am not criticizing any profession, or any area of specialty at all. All I am saying, is that Physical Therapists, along w/ Orthopedic Physicians, are the musculoskeletal experts.

With all of that being said, I believe we as a profession should be allowed to order certain imaging studies.

And why is it that you have an issue w/ autonomy or direct access for PT?

Many states currently practice some form of PT direct access such as Florida where at PT can treat a patient for 21 days before requiring a prescription from a physician. I don't see any problems occuring there while it is helping keep the costs of healthcare down.

Homeboy- I think that the goal is for all of us to work together to diagnose, treat, and prevent disease etc. We all have our own specific knowledge and training. Maybe instead of being so argumentative and offensive, you can try working with other professionals with a grain of respect instead of a grain of salt so that patients get the most complete care that they deserve. That is why you are in medical school, correct, to care for patients? Though I doubt if you are actually a med student, because you are showing yourself to be some kind of nasty impostor that finds it fun to ruffle feathers in a completely non-productive manner. Hope you are enjoying yourself, because with that kind of attitude I doubt you will enjoy a rewarding and successful career.

You are doing nothing more than trying to take over an aspect of medicine with direct access and fill your own pockets under the veil of keeping healthcare costs down (which it will not-yea more imaging equals lower costs!)...FLA example yea just for 21 days and no imaging...make whatever assumptions you want about me but that is just distracting from the argument and shows how weak yours is

Touch and manipulate all the pts you want for as long as you want but it is not a substitute for med schools didactic education and the thousands of hours more of pt encounters

1) If we only practice physical therapy, how are we taking over an aspect of medicine? I thought we didn't practice medicine?
2) How does asking for direct access fill our pockets? Do you know how much an average outpatient visit gets reimbursed? If you did, you'd realize physical therapists are not in this profession for the money.l
3) We would be keeping healthcare costs down, by simply asking patients come to us first before seeing their PCP/GP. First off, that alone saves the patient a co-pay and their insurance a doctor's visit - which is anywhere from $20-100+ out of the patients pocket, and then how much from the insurance? $150-300 insurance pays? I'm not exactly sure. Every patient I've seen w/ LBP has had an x-ray, even for something as simple as a muscle strain. If I saw someone directly for an issue like this, I would not be ordering imaging - so that's 2 ways to save costs.
4) Yes Florida is just 21 days. But there is plenty of research showing the importance of quick access for the treatment of patients w/ LBP, and those who were able to get immediate attention from a PT had significant improvements and better results (quicker recovery) vs those that were not seen for 4, 6 or sometimes 12 weeks. Therefore, if we were direct access, patients could come to us directly rather than waiting for their MD to send them.
5) Once again, I'm not questioning the MD/DO knowledge base, it is far greater than a PTs level of education and much greater in most areas. However, all I am stating, is that when it comes to injuries and issues involving the musculoskeletal system, most physicians (other than orthos) do not the training or expertise that most PTs will have in THIS ONE PARTICULAR AREA.

Last edited:
PMRs! That's who they should be seeing first if you insist and who have a greater knowledge base, who can as well identify the "other" that a PT would refer for....so a PT ends up being the middle man as well! Not saving money! And the pts primary care doc should not be left out of the loop by a pt going directly to a PT, like their lower back pain is an indirect result of other health problems like obesity and the doc needs to monitor this as well as the plethora of other issues that accompany this

And the possibly unnecessary x Ray is a result of high liability and should be fixed with tort reform...PTs get direct access and lawyers will be on your ass too and you will want every aid and effort under the sun!

Spare me the BS that you would not make more money

PCPs are an important link in a persons healthcare and have been for years, they should not be bypassed for PTs. Who knows how many pts think they need PT when they don't! There is money saved there but you only see the PTs referred, your view is totally skewed

PCPs are an important link in a persons healthcare and have been for years, they should not be bypassed for PTs. Who knows how many pts think they need PT when they don't! There is money saved there but you only see the PTs referred, your view is totally skewed

My view is skewed? So I suppose your opinions are unbiased and not "skewed" ?

Most patients understand their bodies. They may not know what is wrong with them, or why they hurt, but they usually understand when pain is of musculoskeletal (or mechanical) origin and when it's not. Regardless of this, that is why PTs are trained to recognize mechanical vs pathological pain, and therefore are going to send a patient to a physician if they believe their pain is not of mechanical origin. With that being said, in more cases than not, the pain is mechanical. Therefore, saving the visit to the PCP.

Yes it's skewed, not biased, because you only see the pts that end up being referred to you, so your weak anecdotal evidence means nothing

Pts may understand their symptoms but that's it and webmd and everything else they try to dx and treat themselves is dangerous...although I am all for a pt reading up on their condition once they have been dx

So your solution offers no benefit...you refer when you recognize "other"...docs refer once a mechanical problem that benefits from PT, but at the same time other medical and health issues are taken into account and assessed (something a PT can't do)

Sounds like going to the doc first provides more benefit and going to the PT first doesn't change the amount of referrals or cost.

Let me break it down again so I can stop hearing it....all you see are mechanical problems after referral, so of course you are gonna assume that this pt should have come directly to you....you do not see the pts that went to the PCP with similar issues that didn't necessitate PT! Let alone the benefit of what the PCP does when the pt first goes to him then you!

Oh and one trip to a PCP is a hell of alot cheaper than a pt going to a PT and the PT assigning the pt a regimen of PT themselves, great way to stir up as much business as you see fit

Though I doubt if you are actually a med student, because you are showing yourself to be some kind of nasty impostor that finds it fun to ruffle feathers in a completely non-productive manner. Hope you are enjoying yourself, because with that kind of attitude I doubt you will enjoy a rewarding and successful career.

I am starting to believe this idea of homeboy being an impostor. Lets look at how many posts you have had today just on this thread:12:38am, 12:45am, 12:39pm, 12:46pm, 2:23pm, 4:17pm, 4:19 pm, 4:37pm, 4:54pm, 4:58pm, 5:52pm. Thats 12 posts on this thread alone!!! Now, would a MD/PHD student really have all this free time on his/her hand? Also, your replies looks more like a high school student (maybe hence the "homeboy" instead of "indepedentman) who wants to be a MD rather than a MD/PHD student. You dont support your stated facts and you just seem to attack others rather than developing an intelligent debate.

Oh and one trip to a PCP is a hell of alot cheaper than a pt going to a PT and the PT assigning the pt a regimen of PT themselves, great way to stir up as much business as you see fit

What does this even mean? Do you think that a PCP determines the patient PT "regimen?"

I have been partaking in the debate and not attacking or making speculations on who is making the argument...a flawed and weak way at debating-undermining who's making the argument...like you have-cause you got nothing

I'm real and I'm an MD student, not MD/PhD, don't know why it says that but I just search here for info but felt the need to partake

It's Summer and I got some time, although it's none of your business

So why don't you face the debate rather than debater...but I think I settled this arguments hash anyhow

....if you wanna play that game though I could just speculate you wanted med school but weren't up to par and are now finding some back way to get called doc, write scripts, order x rays...but I won't make blanket statements like you've been about docs and I'll just say you enjoy rehabilitating people and being a PT...and never before have I equated less education with less intelligence because it's been smelling like sour grapes in here

Who then determines the pts course of rehab?

Oh no I know the PT determines a pts course of rehab, you misread or I wasn't clear whatever

Who then determines the pts course of rehab?

hahahaha, i think this entire debate would seem rather silly to you if if you spent 1 day, i mean just 1 day in a PT clinic and actually saw what you were attacking. I mean it, just 1 day...

You have a false image of what PT is...that is clear. This leads me to ask again the very first question I posed to you the previous thread: Have you even talked with or worked with any physical therapists?

Hahaha we can laugh all day, the gym I go to doubles as a facility that a PT works out of, I see it 4 days a week

How much time have you spent seeing what physicians do? But then again watching them work and knowing what and why they are doing something is 2 different things...what makes you think you can take over some of their roles?

You're not addressing the topics and points I brought up and keep coming back to me rather than the argument, so I'm off I hate getting sucked into this

You found a quick way to be called dr, later gym teachers!

And I'm not the one who needs a vanity handle "motiondoc"...I hate that this has turned into this but professional roles and standards are deteriorating

And I'm not the one who needs a vanity handle "motiondoc"...I hate that this has turned into this but professional roles and standards are deteriorating

I am a doctoral candidate in biomechanics and movement sciences...

reread your posts friend, you have shown 0 professionalism since your very first post. Thus your claim that responses turned against you only because no one could address your points is rubbish...you attack an individual's profession and you don't expect someone to bite back?

GO back to your gym and live in your make believe world...you will be shaken out of it soon enough.

How much time have you spent seeing what physicians do? But then again watching them work and knowing what and why they are doing something is 2 different things...what makes you think you can take over some of their roles?

To answer your question: I come from a family of physicians, and I was on the MD/PhD track most of my life...I guarantee that I understand your future profession better than you. I have mentioned this on this forum previously: I decided against medicine (late in my undergraduate career) when I came across the world of rehabilitation research, and was immediately enthralled by the work of clinician-scientists (who happened to be physical therapists) developing neuroprosthetics for stroke and spinal cord injury survivors (which is the research I am currently performing).

Woops, guess your false assumptions once again took you down a dead end...if you act an idiot, you should be glad we had the decency to point it out; I am sure next time you'll do better.