Masters before Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

groovius

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read several threads asking the same thing, but my goal is not only to go to medical school, but to get my PhD as well. Ultimately I want to do research. I am attending a small, non-research state university, but for my graduate degrees I am hopeful to attend a "big-name" school. U of Chicago, Columbia, UCSF...I'm dreaming big here, guys.

I did undergraduate research last summer in New York, and have applied again for this summer. I've volunteered at a therapeutic horse riding stable for a few years now, and I've just started volunteering in the ER at a hospital in my city. I'm in the honors college, which is a full ride, academic scholarship. I've studied abroad in Spain and Korea. I teach private piano lessons, hopefully will be certified in a couple of months. I am the SGA rep for our pre-professional health club here at university. Currently a junior, cGPA is 3.86, sGPA is 3.79. I haven't taken the MCAT yet.

I know I'm not something special, especially not special enough to compete in the big leagues. I'm determined, though, and I'm looking at all my options. Since I do want to get my PhD eventually, would it be to my advantage to get a masters in biology before med school? It would give me another distinction, but a useful one that i can defend on my application, since I am planning on being a physician scientist.

If not that route, what do you suggest?

Members don't see this ad.

If your GPA stays roughly the same and you can pull off a great MCAT 35+ (not sure about the new scoring system) you should be fine.

The biggest thing that would help for MD/PhD programs is getting tons of research experience and publications. The MS will only help a little (basically for getting more research experience) because graduate courses are typically seen as being grade inflated compared to undergrad courses.