Masters before PhD? Or PsyD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Midoritori

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been reading around this forum and it seems so many people have experience as research assistant, research themselves the've conducted to clinical experience stemming from their master's program before they applied for a PhD or PsyD.

If this is the case, would I even naively apply to PhD program without this kind of experience?

Should I just do the masters first? Then the PhD/ or PsyD?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for your reply

Will many universities let me work for volunteer or pay as RA?

Also what other jobs could I get either as a volunteer or for pay without doing MA to prepare me for PsyD? I.e not research types of jobs/volunteer work?

Thanks,

Thanks for your reply

Will many universities let me work for volunteer or pay as RA?

Yeah, lots of universities will have opportunities for either paid or volunteer work, but there are also paid positions as research assistants and coordinators at academic medical centers and other places.

Also what other jobs could I get either as a volunteer or for pay without doing MA to prepare me for PsyD? I.e not research types of jobs/volunteer work?

You could look for jobs at community mental health centers, hospitals with psychiatric wards, and psychiatric facilities. You could also look for psychometry positions at similar locations or private neuropsych practices.

Thanks for your reply :)

Just two quick follow up questions. So I can work at university even if not enrolled? I ask because one university I asked in my area and they said no I had to be a student. But maybe that was just them.

Also, at these different institutions like mental health facility, what kind of job counts towards experience? For example I know RA at university, what what kind of job would give me more clinical type of experience? I just don't really even know what's out there. Does simply working in reception count? :D