Master's degree for first 2 years of med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

searchylooky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
At some point in the past, I heard about a program, or maybe it was an "early-out" option, at one of the med schools in Florida. Basically, the way it works, is you take the MCAT and go through the typical admissions process to get in. Then, you do the pre-clinical years no different than the other medical students.

At the end of the 2nd year, instead of studying and taking the STEP-1, you graduate with a master's degree and can go on to do other things.

Or, at some point in the future, you could register for the STEP-1 (since you're still eligible to sit for it), and after taking it, rejoin the program for years 3 and 4 to earn an MD.

I just can't figure out which school offers this...has anyone heard of this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of this, but why would you want to do this program?

Reactions: 2 users
I've never heard of this, but why would you want to do this program?
Yeah, what is the point? It sounds like you'd be receiving a useless Masters and would need to complete the program for it to be worth anything anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
So it's like an MS in biology, but with medical school tuition and no stipend?

lol

Last edited:
The closest thing is the FSU Master's program that give you a guarantee seat into their medical school for the next year.

Never heard of this in FL as a FL resident.

If it's the Masters Bridge Program then it will be your best bet to get into the medical school. I've had several friends graduate from the program and matriculate into the medical school. It is only 1 yr. starting in the summer and ending in April. Let me warn you though, when it comes to GPA they can be very picky (my friend who was in it had a med school GPA). If your GPA is not at least the average they are looking for (3.4) then your chances are slim because the most they pick is 15 students. You have to apply to the medical school and they will pick you out so basically prepare yourself like you are going to med school. They will interview you like the medical school students. They basically take those with high GPAs and low MCAT scores (at least a 21). You take classes similar to 1st yr and also do research with a physician. It's a very good program but hard to get in to. I hope it helps!

The closest thing is the FSU Master's program that give you a guarantee seat into their medical school for the next year.

Never heard of this in FL as a FL resident.

Is this the one you're referring to?

http://med.fsu.edu/?page=AdvisingOutreach.masters

If so, I guess I didn't understand it right initially. But the website doesn't say anything about being guaranteed admission into the real med school class after finishing this...

Is this the one you're referring to?

http://med.fsu.edu/?page=AdvisingOutreach.masters

If so, I guess I didn't understand it right initially. But the website doesn't say anything about being guaranteed admission into the real med school class after finishing this...

http://med.fsu.edu/index.cfm?page=mdAdmissions.specialPrograms

If it's the Masters Bridge Program then it will be your best bet to get into the medical school. I've had several friends graduate from the program and matriculate into the medical school. It is only 1 yr. starting in the summer and ending in April. Let me warn you though, when it comes to GPA they can be very picky (my friend who was in it had a med school GPA). If your GPA is not at least the average they are looking for (3.4) then your chances are slim because the most they pick is 15 students. You have to apply to the medical school and they will pick you out so basically prepare yourself like you are going to med school. They will interview you like the medical school students. They basically take those with high GPAs and low MCAT scores (at least a 21). You take classes similar to 1st yr and also do research with a physician. It's a very good program but hard to get in to. I hope it helps!

+1 to this. Its honestly one of the best SMP options out there, but it isn't suggested since you're already applying to medical school and its geared towards people of low SES/URM. There's no way to directly apply to the program, but they would probably get 100's of applications if they did.

Admission is guaranteed as long as you maintain a B and fulfill your research credit. It is for minorities and those underrepresented in medicine so that's also a catch.

Admission is guaranteed as long as you maintain a B and fulfill your research credit. It is for minorities and those underrepresented in medicine so that's also a catch.

Is it possible to postpone admission in the real MD class if life events occur? (Let's say I become pregnant and want to take a year off for the delivery, early bonding, etc.)

Also, how does one apply to this program? Do you just apply to the med school as usual and then after you're interviewed, they say - gosh, we can't accept you into our MD class but we'd love for you to attend this program and then join us the following year?

I'm pretty sure you can postpone MD admissions. Just explain your reason and see what they say.

You have to apply directly through the COM and a separate committee will hand pick you and then basically what you said at the end is how it works! Feel free to message me with questions!

Is it possible to postpone admission in the real MD class if life events occur? (Let's say I become pregnant and want to take a year off for the delivery, early bonding, etc.)

Also, how does one apply to this program? Do you just apply to the med school as usual and then after you're interviewed, they say - gosh, we can't accept you into our MD class but we'd love for you to attend this program and then join us the following year?

Hmm, my PI has had the experience OP asked about. He has a Masters of Medical Sciences that he got when he dropped out of med school after two years. I am pretty sure many schools will give you this 'degree' but it isn't something that is advertised since students generally do not plan on dropping out...I also don't think this degree says anything other than, "I dropped out of med school" as far as your future career.

This is a masters in biomedical sciences that is intended to be used for medical school but not necessarily. You can take the degree and do whatever you want. I spoke to the dean and staff of the program and they told me this. By no means does it mean you're a med school drop out since other schools such as USF, Barry and BU offer similar programs (only difference is that theirs does not guarantee you a spot in their med schools).

Hmm, my PI has had the experience OP asked about. He has a Masters of Medical Sciences that he got when he dropped out of med school after two years. I am pretty sure many schools will give you this 'degree' but it isn't something that is advertised since students generally do not plan on dropping out...I also don't think this degree says anything other than, "I dropped out of med school" as far as your future career.

This is a masters in biomedical sciences that is intended to be used for medical school but not necessarily. You can take the degree and do whatever you want. I spoke to the dean and staff of the program and they told me this. By no means does it mean you're a med school drop out since other schools such as USF, Barry and BU offer similar programs (only difference is that theirs does not guarantee you a spot in their med schools).

Telling you that this program's masters degree has any value outside of getting you into medical school is just salesmanship in defense of the program. It actually makes me angry that you're being told this. A master's degree that consists of the first two years of medical school classes is just not going to have meaning or get respect anywhere else in academia. The same probably goes for industry although I don't have direct experience with that. You simply don't learn useful skills in the first two years of medical school to do anything but be a doctor. There are graduate programs where a 'consolation masters' does have some intrinsic value, but medical school isn't one of them.

The idea that more education is the answer to every problem is starting to do amazing damage and the people in charge of graduate programs are often directly culpable in the spread of misinformation about the long-term benefits of their programs. Understand that these SMPs are good for getting you into medical school and nothing else.

Edit: I guess due to degree creep there are situations now where just having a master's degree (any masters degree, regardless of type) is a bonus in some job-searching situations. But that's a very marginal gain from what are often extremely expensive programs. And if they ask details about the program and the failed medical school aspect comes out, that's unlikely to be helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I have a very close friend who her PhD at UCSD. She had to take every medical school class except anatomy and the Clinical Medicine courses.

Overkill, eh?

Would be the same for an MS.

At some point in the past, I heard about a program, or maybe it was an "early-out" option, at one of the med schools in Florida. Basically, the way it works, is you take the MCAT and go through the typical admissions process to get in. Then, you do the pre-clinical years no different than the other medical students.

At the end of the 2nd year, instead of studying and taking the STEP-1, you graduate with a master's degree and can go on to do other things.

Or, at some point in the future, you could register for the STEP-1 (since you're still eligible to sit for it), and after taking it, rejoin the program for years 3 and 4 to earn an MD.

I just can't figure out which school offers this...has anyone heard of this? Thanks!