Master's Degree in Biomedical Engineering - boost?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reediddy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll start by saying I've done my due diligence in reading through previous threads about information related to this post, but I'm still curious about receiving feedback for my particular situation. I had a sub-3.0 uGPA (barely) with a sub-3.0 sGPA (barely) and actually decided to forego medical school because of this fact, electing instead to pursue a master's degree in biomedical engineering, reason being that I could still make an appreciable impact in healthcare/medicine by researching technologies and building my portfolio of experience. I'm halfway through the program as it stands now, with three academic semester remaining.

However, the 'itch' for medical school still remains, and as such I find myself motivated once again to pursue medical school. GPA-wise, I am thoroughly dominating the master's program to the tune of a 3.9 GPA, while engaging in computational science research related to protein modeling. I am of the opinion that my breadth of experience will be valuable in the medical school application, as I can advertise my ability to approach medicine with a technological perspective. I am also confident in my ability to perform well on the MCAT.

I understand that this type of post is equivalent to posting a nude picture of me and asking "whatcha guys think?!" but I'll do it anyway. I firmly believe that my master's degree academic performance will suggest a positive trend and show that I have the propensity to perform well. I also think that my breadth is a plus. In addition I have a solid portfolio of extracurricular experience in addition to the research I previously mentioned. I want to ask you great folks at SDN what you think of my chances and ask recommendations of what else I should pursue as far as extracurriculars (can never have too many of those). Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: