Masters degree in Biomedical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bg2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a recent graduate (class of 2014) with a Bachelor of Science in Biology degree. I had a pretty solid undergraduate career - i graduated with honors, Science GPA: 3.78, Overall GPA: 3.67. I took and excelled in various science courses, some of which were principles of biology, cell and molecular biology, genetics, microbiology, human physiology, gross human anatomy, general chemistry I & II and organic chemistry I & II.

Originally, my plan was to become a physician assistant. So, I shadow PA's, volunteer at hospitals, and worked as an EMT for 6 months. However, while I was doing all these pre-PA clinical experiences, I realized that being a PA or a healthcare provider (in general) is not my true calling. I guess my introverted personality and talents are not suitable for a clinician.

I have to note that despite this, I am very passionate about learning and studying about the biomedical sciences. While I was in school, I enjoyed doing lab work in lab classes and for one semester, I had the opportunity to participate in a clinical research. Although the study was not published, I totally had fun doing it. So now, I am learning towards a career in the biomedical sciences, specifically biomedical research in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry. My biggest problem is that I don't have an extensive hands-on lab experience, other than the ones stated above. That being said, how could I gain lab experience and kick start my career? Would getting a Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences be worth it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No, no, no. Apply for PhD programs. Get free tuition plus a stipend. Then bail after 3 years with the same education and experience you'd get in an MS program only with no debt. Then find an industry technician job and get on with your life.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to do research as a career, you ought to aim towards getting a PhD.
The MS you described sounds like it'll be expensive and won't really jump start your career. If you want to work in academia, I advise seeking employment in a laboratory setting and applying to PhD programs over the next 1-2 years.
If you don't want to work in academia (e.g., you want to work in high tech), then your resume would be improved faster by getting a job. Regardless, working a real job for a year before you take on a PhD program is extremely healthy and will motivate you / help your work ethic.

I strongly advise against going into debt for something like this.

Reactions: 1 user
agreed with above, masters is basically equivalent to bachelors in biological sciences. whether thats a good thing or bad idk, but its just how it is. masters in engineering fields is considered differently from what my friends tell me.