Master's degree! Not in SW though...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thomas the Red Fox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I am looking at going to Geneva College to get my Master's in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.

I noticed that CMHC gets reimbursed most often by insurance, so I assume it is a viable option for opening a practice eventually.

I just was curious if people thought this would be a good Master's to acquire? I see so many job postings on Indeed for un-licensed and licensed people who have a master's in psych, SW, or counseling, and the smallest I've seen annually in terms of income is 40k. I see a lot around 50-70k.

This leads me to believe it is viable, but I wanted to see what you all think? I have loved psychology since I was 13 when I began studying the DSM-IV.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know much about Geneva College, so I can't speak to that. The most important thing, in my opinion, is to see which license is hired more in your state. Each state has it's own climate, and in some states the LMHC (also LPC) is the license to get, while in other states it's very difficult to get a job with anything but an LCSW. There are solid programs in Psych, SW, and Counseling. It's just highly dependent on institution and state. States where the SW degree is favored are going to have stronger SW programs. Similar to with CMHC degrees.

I think you are pretty close to spot on with your salary estimation. Might vary a little by state, but that's close to what I see for my state. I don't know that I've heard that different masters licenses are reimbursed at different levels. I do know that Medicare currently only accepts LCSWs for therapy billing. Tricare only accepts LMHCs (LPCs) that went to an CACREP accredited school. Many states also have this requirement for their LMHC and LPC licensure.

Is there a preferred population you'd like to work with? This should be considered when deciding on which license and degree.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your well thought out and informational reply.

My goal has always been to ultimately become a Forensic Neuropsychologist. I have a Bachelor's in law.

Geneva is CACREP accredited, so that's good... and Carlow and Chatham University (Both nearby in Pittsburgh) only accept you with a master's in counseling first. I want to go on to get my Psy.D and move to neuropsychology... but I wanted to ask about the salary and licensing just in case for some reason I need to start making money immediately after the master's.

Do you think this is a good plan? Get the master's, then do the last 3 years or so it takes at either of those 2 universities to get my Psy.D? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)

My goal has always been to ultimately become a Forensic Neuropsychologist. I have a Bachelor's in law.

Geneva is CACREP accredited, so that's good... and Carlow and Chatham University (Both nearby in Pittsburgh) only accept you with a master's in counseling first. I want to go on to get my Psy.D and move to neuropsychology... but I wanted to ask about the salary and licensing just in case for some reason I need to start making money immediately after the master's.

Do you think this is a good plan? Get the master's, then do the last 3 years or so it takes at either of those 2 universities to get my Psy.D? Thank you!

I know we have sorta bounced you back and forth between the different boards. I think I remember reading a post on the PhD side telling you to ask your question here. So I don't want to tell you to ask this question on the other board because I know you've already sorta done that. Hopefully, some of the neuropsychologists might weigh in. You can read the debate of PsyD vs PhD all over this board. There are several successful neruopsychologists that have a PsyD. Now if those two schools will be able to prepare you for the route you want to take... that I don't know :) I guess that would be your next question.

What kind of work do you want to do as a Forensic Neuropsychologist? When I think neuropsychologist, I tend to think of more of a clinical or research role. Also, the best way to become a psychologist of any sort is to get involved in research and have that pay your way through grad school. Being geographically flexible is also going to be important because at some point you might have to move to pursue this career.