Masters Degree options- need advice!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kate22192

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm writing this thread because I really need some help in deciding what path to pursue. I graduated with my undergrad in psychology a little over a year ago (December 2013, 4.0 GPA) and have been working full time since, first in a group home for adults with severe/chronic mental illness, and now as a case manager for an outpatient program for adults with severe/chronic mental illness. In a little over a year, I will likely have paid off my student loans (started 54k-ish, down to 28k so far, woo!), and would like to go back for my masters hopefully the next fall, or spring. Here are my concerns:

1. Money. At my age, just about to turn 23, I'm still really not sure what I want to do in this field. I'm considering going for my MSW as it is the most versatile degree, but honestly, my issue is MONEY. I grew up in a family that struggled financially, and honestly, I want to live comfortably. Yes, 50k might be comfortable on my own, but who knows if I'll want children 10 years down the line; I want to be able to be comfortable, and provide. With an MSW, the monetary possibilities seem really uncertain.

2. Limitations/job role. As such, I've considered school psychology. Starting salaries seem much much higher, and getting over 70k doesn't seem unreasonable at all. HOWEVER, being a school psychologist limits you to a school psychologist. And from what I've heard and read, a lot of school psychs seem way over-stressed and over-worked. I want a job where I can go home and be home, not write reports into the night and weekend. Because of that, I've considered school counseling, but I've heard it's very hard to find jobs there anymore!

3. Moving. Again, I'm only 22, about to turn 23. I live in NJ right now, but I'm absolutely not sure if I will stay here. Due to cost of living here and the cold winters, I've considered heading a bit south, such as Virginia or NC. For that reason, I'm also looking for info on which licenses/credentials are easiest to move across state lines.

SO, basically, a few questions. For monetary reasons, would an MSW be a poor choice? Are school psychologists truly overworked? Is it hard to find a job as a school counselor? And which of those three positions is easiest/toughest to move across state lines?

Thank you so much, sorry for writing such a huge novel!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I get such mixed feed back on MSW pay. Most of the threads you find on the internet generally point to more satisfaction with the LCSW than just an MSW. Check indeed.com or salary.com for the median pay in your state for an MSW and a LCSW. I do know that child welfare does pay miserably, many community mental health centers also have very low pay. Medical and government jobs tend to pay more than average.

I personally chose the LCSW over a LMHC/LPC or LMFT because it is easier to move around with it. There is less variability in programs and licensing rules. You'll find most of the MSW students on this board partially chose this degree for that reason as well (among other things).

States have a HUGE (I cannot emphasize this enough) HUGE variability on how they hire and utilize school psychologists and counselors. School counselors especially -- I can't even begin to give advice on that because the three states I'm familiar with all do it completely differently. The state I'm in now doesn't even use school psychologists. In Florida, a PhD did all the testing for several schools.

To answer the question of which is easiest to move? in my opinion the LCSW is easiest to move with. Or school counselor, but I'm not sure of the job availability/demand and how easy it would be to get hired. Sorry, that's my best guess :) You might want to look for data on school counselors in a site geared for that?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Goobernut, thank you for your response! I had heard some things about the variability of school psychologist job duties by state,,,,this is what worries me!! Can anyone else speak to this claim? It concerns me that if I were to become certified in NJ or PA, for example, and move to VA or NC, my job could be entirely different and I could end up hating it!

Another question on LCSWs...I know to become an LCSW, you are required to have a few years of clinical supervision. What I always questioned, though, was what exactly that means. Does an LCSW refer ALWAYS to a 'therapist?' To someone practicing psychotherapy? If I graduated with my MSW and wanted to be a school social worker, for example, I don't need the LCSW. But if I WANTED it, would I have to first have a few years of clinical therapeutic work and get the LCSW licensure?

Finally, I was researching recently about applied behavior analysis. Does anyone have any opinions on this? From what it looks like, one can receive an MA in Applied Behavior analysis, get the experience, pass the test and become licensed, and their salaries look a bit higher than other mental health/behavioral health professionals. OR it seems I could get an MSW, then take just 6 or so additional courses.....opinions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Goobernut, thank you for your response! I had heard some things about the variability of school psychologist job duties by state,,,,this is what worries me!! Can anyone else speak to this claim? It concerns me that if I were to become certified in NJ or PA, for example, and move to VA or NC, my job could be entirely different and I could end up hating it!

Another question on LCSWs...I know to become an LCSW, you are required to have a few years of clinical supervision. What I always questioned, though, was what exactly that means. Does an LCSW refer ALWAYS to a 'therapist?' To someone practicing psychotherapy? If I graduated with my MSW and wanted to be a school social worker, for example, I don't need the LCSW. But if I WANTED it, would I have to first have a few years of clinical therapeutic work and get the LCSW licensure?

Finally, I was researching recently about applied behavior analysis. Does anyone have any opinions on this? From what it looks like, one can receive an MA in Applied Behavior analysis, get the experience, pass the test and become licensed, and their salaries look a bit higher than other mental health/behavioral health professionals. OR it seems I could get an MSW, then take just 6 or so additional courses.....opinions?

In terms of school counseling and school psychology positions. Schools typically only have a few (1-2, 3 - 5 if a larger school) school counselings, so finding a position won't always be easy. Also, states differ in requirements to become a school counseling, some will require you to have a teaching certification (and experience), some will recommend it, some require it but will allow alternative certifications for professional counselors. But in anyway, it is much, much easier to get a school counseling position if you work within the school system. As a school psychologists, unless it is a larger city, you will only have a few school psychologists covering the district (larger districts will have one for each school or one covering two schools). So, unless you are mobile, or willing to wait, it may be difficult to find a position. Also, school psychologists are often over-worked and do have to write reports (work on behavioral plans, etc) at home. A school counseling or school psychology license will limit you to the school system.

LCSW's are typically clinicians. It is my understanding that you need post-graduation supervision. There are other non-clinical licenses. To be a school social worker, you will need to either complete a MSW that has a concentration/emphasis/coursework in school social work, or complete a MSW and do a post-grad certificate in school social work, and then obtain certification.

My opinion regard ABA would be to complete a masters/Ed.S. in another field (school psychology, school counseling, social work, education, clinical psychology, mental health counseling, etc) and complete a graduate certificate (or fit the coursework into your masters/EdS if the program is accredited). Having a BCBA limits you to only doing ABA.

2. Limitations/job role. As such, I've considered school psychology. Starting salaries seem much much higher, and getting over 70k doesn't seem unreasonable at all. HOWEVER, being a school psychologist limits you to a school psychologist. And from what I've heard and read, a lot of school psychs seem way over-stressed and over-worked. I want a job where I can go home and be home, not write reports into the night and weekend. Because of that, I've considered school counseling, but I've heard it's very hard to find jobs there anymore!

A few point RE: school psychology

- Limitations of scope of practice vary. There are a dozen or so states where SPs can get licensed for private practice at the CAGS/EdS level, and while PP may not be an option you can also do consulting, research or adjunct teaching as well. As stated above, you may be able to get a BCBA, LMHC, etc. in order to increase scope of practice as well.
- My graduate school has both SP and school counseling. The friends I have from the counseling program have had a very hard time finding jobs, and this is in New York where schools are legally mandated to have school counselors. My recently graduated cohort, minus those who are geographically restricted, have had little to no trouble finding work.
- School psychology is EXTREMELY in demand right now, and that demand is only expected to increase over the next decade or so as there are high numbers of SPs approaching the retirement age. The president of the National Association of School Psychologists actually just published an op-ed discussing the dearth of both SPs and SP faculty.
- How overstressed/overworked you are seemed to vary a great deal. Of the five psychs I worked with during my practicum/internship only one seemed to feel that way. I have met many SPs who take work home, but they also typically readily admit they do so by choice because they prefer to work with students and consult with teachers during the day and are willing to sacrifice part of their nights/weekends to do so. Also bear in mind that SPs are generally members of the teachers' union and have that as a potential avenue to push back if they feel they're being overworked (once you've achieved tenure, of course...).

3. Moving. Again, I'm only 22, about to turn 23. I live in NJ right now, but I'm absolutely not sure if I will stay here. Due to cost of living here and the cold winters, I've considered heading a bit south, such as Virginia or NC. For that reason, I'm also looking for info on which licenses/credentials are easiest to move across state lines.

The NCSP (school psych) credential has reciprocity with a few dozen states, and it's typically not too difficult to achieve certification in non-NCSP states.

I don't have either but I've researched a lot. It seems that you're limiting factor is pay. As far as pay, take a look at USAJOBS. Some pay starts at $70-90K. This dependso n experience as well but it's not like you can't make good pay. It just depends on 1. what you want to do and 2. how long you're willing to work at a low paying job to gain valuable experience.

MSW/LCSW is easy to move around States. It's an older than an LPC and is most easily recognized across States. You can do much more with an MSW than the typical MSW roles. I have my MPH (public health) and it seems that MSWs get hired a lot in our positions as well.