Master's degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

npd8591

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on applying into the next admissions cycle for dental school, and I was accepted into a Master's program. Since I will technically be in the Master's during interview times and would have to leave if I got in to dental school, do you think it would ultimately still help? Would leaving a Master's be looked down upon by admissions or would it be looked at as a positive that I am continuing education after undergrad?

Members don't see this ad.

it'd be a positive if you were applying during your second yr of the program anticipating that you'd start d school after masters. instead it makes you look a) uncertain about dentistry b) uncertain about masters c) foolish & unorganized b/c you'll be applying before your masters even begins. why would you waste a year of work and money knowing that you won't complete the degree.

Well the only reason I would do it would be to make myself a better applicant by continuing education, which I would plan to include in my personal statement. The circumstances of the Master's is the only other reason I would do it- It would be no cost to me because I would have funding through a TA-ship, so I would get the chance to teach a lab, most likely Microbiology.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm not sure what you mean by continuing education. if you mean, 'i want to learn more so i'm getting a masters' then awesome. but i think it's important that if you decide to talk about 'my desire for knowledge' in your ps, then you don't undermine that idea by bailing on a program that embodies that very principle. honestly, i get where you're coming from. but you've got to look at it from an adcom's perspective. they've read thousands of applications and you won't be the first who espouses 'learning is fun'. the difference that will separate you from others is acting on your passion for education by way of a masters degree.

Last edited:
Well initially I was considering it and holding off for a year on applying to dental school so I could have it completed by the time I start but then I decided that I have a good enough chance to apply now and didn't want to wait. It's nice to have as a potential back up plan if I don't get in, so then it will actually help the second time around, but I wouldn't want to hurt it my application this time around either.

I am planning on applying into the next admissions cycle for dental school, and I was accepted into a Master's program. Since I will technically be in the Master's during interview times and would have to leave if I got in to dental school, do you think it would ultimately still help? Would leaving a Master's be looked down upon by admissions or would it be looked at as a positive that I am continuing education after undergrad?

Most dental schools don't want students to leave their programs half done. They might not even offer you an interview knowing you just started your MS unless you are planning on finishing it in 1 year. and you can't lie about it on your application because most schools give you conditional acceptance meaning IF you get accepted, then you have to finish your MS prior to starting d school.
I am graduating with my MS in a week and most dental schools I got accepted to told me that I have to provide them with my updated degree prior to starting classes.
So, you gotta either finish your MS in 1 year or apply next cycle.

i gotcha. i think the key to your success for a ps should be some derivative of 'i love dentistry and teaching' or 'i see dentistry as avenue towards a career in dental education'. you're love for teaching should be your key hitting point. something like, 'my passion for teaching opened up a rare opportunity to take part in a masters program during my interim year before d school.' you want it to sound as if teaching led you to dentistry, not the other way around.