Masters degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrsDewey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergraduate senior planning on attending medical school, however my scores from my first MCAT are most likely not high enough for me to be accepted this coming school year. So, I am looking at a one year break in my education at the least. During this time I would, of course, retake my MCAT with hopes for a better outcome. However, I am wondering if it would beneficial during this time to obtain a masters degree. My first priority is getting into medical school, so I would like to be doing something during this time to increase my chances of getting accepted into med school. Some people have suggested that I try americorps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I am an undergraduate senior planning on attending medical school, however my scores from my first MCAT are most likely not high enough for me to be accepted this coming school year. So, I am looking at a one year break in my education at the least. During this time I would, of course, retake my MCAT with hopes for a better outcome. However, I am wondering if it would beneficial during this time to obtain a masters degree. My first priority is getting into medical school, so I would like to be doing something during this time to increase my chances of getting accepted into med school. Some people have suggested that I try americorps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Unless you need to repair your GPA or have a genuine interest in research/academics, I would avoid spending large amounts of money. You have lots of options available... how much clinical experience do you have? Maybe spend some time looking into possible clinical jobs. You'll get paid, and be doing something to help your future med school app.

I know a ton of people that are doing TFA, paid research positions in the area that they want to work in (residency), and a few have taken entry level teaching positions at high schools or middles schools (with only a bachelors degree in biology). All are great options that will look good for medical schools, and won't increase your existing debt.